Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Resume Assistance

abe_hernandez08-1abe_hernandez08-1 Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 18 karma
Hello,

I've been working on applications and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to improve my resume for application purposes. I have my work resume but for Law Schools what should I emphasize or in what ways should it differ from my work one. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Your law school resume should be more of a generic, work timeline. Normally a work resume is tailored to a specific job/field. Law schools want to see exactly what you've been up to as a person. Instead of highlighting skills, you are highlighting experience.

You should include any scholastic or community awards you've received or extracurriculars that stand out. But don't worry too much. Your resume is not going to make you or break you. It just helps the individual who reviews your application, likely a person with a JD and HR degree, get a better overall picture of you.
  • abe_hernandez08-1abe_hernandez08-1 Alum Member
    18 karma
    @danballinger5
    Thank you, another question I have is if the Law School Resume also have to be limited to one page or can you have two pages. I've found different discussions on this online so am little confused about it.

Thanks again!
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Unlike a job resume, there is no real limit to a law school resume. Put everything that is pertinent to you. The personal statement allows the application reviewer an opportunity to 'know you' in depth. The resume is more of a list of what you've accomplished in life.
  • abe_hernandez08-1abe_hernandez08-1 Alum Member
    18 karma
    Thank you!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Also the schools will have a rule about how long the resume can be if there is a limit. A lot of the schools I am looking at, have a 2 page limit.
  • sgrafsteinsgrafstein Free Trial Member
    edited June 2018 2 karma

A month should be abbreviated with the number of that month instead of shortening some to three letter months while keeping May whole. (ie. May: 5, June: 6, July: 7).
    There was a thread from guidance stating judges are sticklers for details and consistency which seemed to be deleted after making point that shortening months to three letters wouldn't be consistent in keeping May whole.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

All of this is really good advice. I'd be happy to take a look at your resume if you'd like :)

• smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
    512 karma

Good info here. I'd like to know how far back in work experience should you go?

• Ellie0257Ellie0257 Member
    200 karma

@sgrafstein Oh that is so interesting and helpful! I have never heard that before! So I should use slashes? For example, "11/2016 -- 4/2017" and "5/2017 -- present"? Or what would you recommend?