Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW Law a good law school?

Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member

US News and Business currently ranks GW Law 22 I believe; it’s not a t14 but is GW Law still a good law school? I’m an undergrad here and got into a masters program awarded by the law and business school

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Define "good"

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Yeah, GW is a good school. Remember that T14 schools are the elite class of schools. Generally the 20-30 ranked schools are considered good schools.

Whether it's the right school for your personal goals is a more apt questions to ask. If you want to work in academia, be a federal clerk, or make it into Big Law, then GW might not be right for you. If you want to work in a medium to large size firm and practice law then GW should be just fine.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

You need to consider your objective. What career are you interested in that requires a MBA and JD? Is acquiring both worth the cost and extra year of school? Does GW guarantee admission to these programs AND offer a substantial scholarship, since you are in undergrad there? If not, I would consider taking the LSAT and applying to a range of schools to try to get the best scholarship opportunity possible, if going to law school is necessary for your career goals. GW law program provides scholarships for over 66% of their students, so if you are going there, it'd be wise to be one of those students.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! GW is offering a specialized masters program awarded by the business school; however, half of the classes are taken in the law school. I was interested in pursuing this MS degree because it looks like a chance to accelerate my career path. Also, it seems like a great opportunity to study law in an area that’s relevant to my career of interest without committing to a JD program. My plan was to enroll in this program and see how I perform and depending on that see whether I still want try and earn a JD.

346 karma

Worst case scenario the program is a bit difficult and or I find out earning a JD really isn’t for me...which may not necessarily be a worst case scenario depending on how that influences my career or personal drive. Best case scenario I do very well and either decide to pursue a JD or GW Law or maybe...maybe if I’m very very lucky a t14.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

Look at the ABA 509 for job placement information.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited June 2018 4196 karma

GW is a good school, but it depends how you define 'good'. I will most likely be attending GW in the fall and my take on it is if you want biglaw then GW probably isn't the best choice. However, I think GW can be a good choice (dependent on debt level though) if you want to do PI work, go to a small firm or do government work.

Biglaw is possible from GW, but if you are biglaw or bust then i think it may not be the best option since you will need to be at the very least in the top 1/3 of your class to even have a shot (although this may vary depending on URM status or if you are a patent bro).

What is your end goal in the type of career that you want?

346 karma

I am a URM- my thoughts are see if you can handle the coursework and GW and see how well you do. If you find out you’re ha doing the work and doing wel then maybe go for a JD at a t14. It’s for an MS in Government Contracts

346 karma

What is meant by “big law?” You mean for like people that become senators and presidents?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@Nunuboy1994 said:
    What is meant by “big law?” You mean for like people that become senators and presidents?

Big Law refers to law firms in large cities (namely NY, DC, LA) that have 500+ lawyers and pay $180,000+ for first year associates

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

"Good school" is subjective to you and your goals. Think about what you want to do with your degree and then research (or ask us!) if that school will allow you to get there. A lot of times, though, if you have to ask, the answer may not be one that you are expecting. Be more explicit with yourself in terms of what you seek to achieve.

FWIW, schools outside of the T15 fluctuate pretty significantly. The rankings are volatile and you should not rely on them. Instead, focus on the alumni and what they were able to achieve from that institution.