Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it just me?

kleinstdkleinstd Alum Member

Does anyone else feel like RC are just like extended LR questions? I've been using the same techniques for RC as I did for LR and it seems to be working out really well. I find it helpful to approach questions this way.

Comments

• Bagelinthemorning-1Bagelinthemorning-1 Alum Member
    12 karma

I have not tried this method actually and RC is the hardest section to make improvements for me. I will make sure to try out this method. Thanks!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Yeah, more or less. I think RC questions are basically just a combination of inference, MP, AP, MOR, weaken and strengthen questions. If you approach it in that way it makes RC seem less daunting and 'new' and is instead just LR with a longer stimulus. Like the combination of a page's worth of text from LR.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

There are definitely similarities. At their core, both sections are just asking you 1) what did you read? and 2) how well did you understand it?

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    360 karma

@kleinstd said:
    Does anyone else feel like RC are just like extended LR questions? I've been using the same techniques for RC as I did for LR and it seems to be working out really well. I find it helpful to approach questions this way.

Basically.

• kleinstdkleinstd Alum Member
    68 karma

@btate87 said:
    There are definitely similarities. At their core, both sections are just asking you 1) what did you read? and 2) how well did you understand it?

So far I have completed the RC problem sets with getting at most one wrong. Also pretending to be interested in all passages helps tremendously with my understanding of them.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Do you all think that intensive LR training translates into RC score increases though?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Do you all think that intensive LR training translates into RC score increases though?

I don't. The two are not analgous enough and require different skill sets. For example, only a few RC questions throughout the whole section will require the analysis that a strengthen or weaken question requires. RC questions tend to focus more on generalities and abstracted principles in determining answers.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Yes. As a matter of fact, reading RC passages are like long LR passages. Sometimes the context or viewpoints are extended. One passage I read I swear like the first two paragraphs was basically like the context of where the author was going.

It really helped me read for structure.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Yep. Something like that. The LSAT Trainer actually breaks question types down for RC and I can see the similarities.