Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Questions Do You Have About Law School Admissions?

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited June 2018 in Law School Admissions 7262 karma

Hi 7Sagers,

I'm putting together a brand new admissions FAQ for our admissions course, and I need your input! What questions do you have about the law school admissions process? Ask in the comments.

Please keep your questions general. You can post somewhere else if you have a question specific to you. Use the “like” button to let me know if you second someone else’s question.

Example of good questions:

• What counts as an under-represented minority (URM)?
  • Does the LSAT writing sample matter?
  • Do I have to explain why I want to be a lawyer in my personal statement?
  • What activities should I do as an undergrad if I know I'll be applying to law school?

Example of bad questions for this FAQ:

• I scored a 161 on my June LSAT, but I was PTing at 164. Should I retake?
  • My employer offered me a promotion to regional sales associate, and I'm wondering if I should take it or just apply this year. My parents said…

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing you at tomorrow's webinar! Remember that we’re giving away a free edit!

Comments

• shegotitshegotit Member
    211 karma

Is taking the LSAT in November considered too late?

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

What information should we prepare for our LOR writers?

• 439 karma

I haven't been through the admissions part of 7sage much yet. Forgive me if there are already answers for these.

How to go about contacting schools about continued interest? Is there a best time? Letters vs knocking on the door?

How to negotiate scholarships?

My boss can't write. Can I edit his letter of recommendation?

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    edited June 2018 588 karma

With the lifting of the 3 times in 2 year rule, how many LSAT takes is too many??

Are two academic references *really necessary? Or one academic and one professional acceptable?

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

What is the theory behind the idea that applying early boosts your admission chances? How significant is the boost?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

Should you visit the school before applying so you can write a solid why X essay? Do this for each school? Just for your top choice? Just for reach schools?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2689 karma

@shegotit said:

This. How late is too late to be taking the LSAT for the cycle? EDIT: NM.. I went back over some of the videos. Got the answer.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

How to go about contacting schools about continued interest? Is there a best time? Letters vs knocking on the door?

I believe this is covered in admissions curriculum but there's also a webinar on low-key LOCIs that might be beneficial https://7sage.com/webinar/low-key-locis-letters-of-continuing-interest/

• okcomputer619okcomputer619 Alum Member
    68 karma

What is the best strategy for re-applicants? Are completely different personal statements required?

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

What activities should I do as an undergrad if I know I'll be applying to law school?

• chaynee9chaynee9 Member
    14 karma

How long is the average wait time to here back from a school? And do law schools take into consideration if the applicant works full time? Is this an advantage over other applicants?

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

1) How do you think admissions will now view multiple LSATs considering the fact that the restriction of 3 max has been removed?
    2) What steps do you recommend taking to get yourself off of a waitlist?
    3) How do you negotiate financial aid?
    4) Are there any links or resources to scholarships that you know of?

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

What constitutes real "work experience"? e.g. working part time in undergrad? Full time in undergrad? Or only full time once graduated?

• smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
    512 karma

I am a NTS with a less than stellar GPA (3.04). I was told by a law school admission rep that I did not need to provide an addendum to explain my GPA because I have been out of school so long. Is this true across the board or would I need to contact each law school I plan to apply?

• shegotitshegotit Member
    211 karma

Is it true that law schools look at your credit history and if they do what is the reasoning for it?

• KEverett93KEverett93 Free Trial Member
    53 karma

Do I need to list all work experience (ie, from undergrad and on) or should I just include my most recent work experience?

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

When is an addendum necessary if you have a significant score increase? 5 points? 10 points? 15 points? How do you explain the increase other than the obvious of continuing to study or hiring a tutor?

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Can I refer to schools as their abbreviation (e.g. UVA Law) or should I always use the full name when writing a Why X?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@shegotit said:

The answer is no! I’ve heard this from reputable admissions consultants. Early cycle is before November mid cycle is through December, late is anything after December

• lavender robbinslavender robbins Alum Member
    65 karma

Is early decision a large boost for in-state applicants in particular?

• m073a314m073a314 Alum Member
    16 karma

What months are considered early in the admissions cycle and what months are considered late in the admissions cycle?

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

If I know there is only one or two schools I would be able to attend to accommodate my personal circumstances such as location, should I still apply to multiple schools for potential scholarship leverage?

2689 karma

If you apply ED to a school in hopes of a scholarship, and the scholarship they come back with is not anything like what you expected, what, if any, options do you have being an ED or binding applicant?

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

How much of my graduate school experiences should I mention in my personal statement? Do law schools value these experiences?

• SleepyslothSleepysloth Member
    61 karma

How to go about asking professor's for LOR

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@AudaciousRed said:

@shegotit said:

This. How late is too late to be taking the LSAT for the cycle? EDIT: NM.. I went back over some of the videos. Got the answer.

What did you find @AudaciousRed ?

2689 karma

@MindyKale said:

@AudaciousRed said:

@shegotit said:

What did you find @AudaciousRed ?

It's in a previous webinar on admissions where they discuss what your odds are like as it gets later in the year. And always refer back to the deadlines of the particular school, too. For some schools, it may be too late. For many, it's fine. It allows you to apply in December, which isn't fantastic, but isn't bad. January starts getting a little late. But go through the "resources" tab and view the admissions webinars.
    I think this one may contain it:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/webinar/admissions-overview-2018/
    Around the 8 minute mark or so?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I know this is an old thread, but throwing it out here anyway. I've always wished that the admissions course addressed non-traditional students a little more. I've heard varying things on how applications should be different for non-trads. Is it more important to have a "why law" component in the PS? And/or also addressing "why now?" And after how many years out of undergrad do schools find it less important to have an academic LOR?

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

How does touring a school can help in the admission process? Is it better to tour a school before or after having submitted our applications?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

I'm still working on an FAQ, but in the meantime, I'll just start answering some of these questions here!

@"Leah M B" said:
    I know this is an old thread, but throwing it out here anyway. I've always wished that the admissions course addressed non-traditional students a little more. I've heard varying things on how applications should be different for non-trads. Is it more important to have a "why law" component in the PS? And/or also addressing "why now?" And after how many years out of undergrad do schools find it less important to have an academic LOR?

Many law school personal statement prompts are open-ended, and don't necessarily require a "why law," but admissions officers are going to be wondering why a non-traditional student is applying to law, especially if or she is switching from an established career. The longer you've been in the workforce, the more incumbent it is on you to show that your decision to apply to law school is well-considered and informed. It may help to say that you've spoken to lawyers about their jobs or otherwise indicate that you know what you're getting into.

You should always try to get an academic LOR, no matter how long ago you graduated. That said, if you graduated three, four, five, or more years ago (there's no specific threshold), admissions officers will find it increasingly understandable if you can't produce a letter from a college professor.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

Will studying full time for the LSAT look bad on your resume for law school? For example, If you had a 6 month gap in your resume to do LSAT prep will admissions officers consider that a red flag?

7262 karma

@shegotit said:

No! If you end up applying in December, you won't be early, but you won't be late.

7262 karma

@btownsquee said:
    What information should we prepare for our LOR writers?

It depends on how well you know them, but basically, you want to make their job as easy as possible. At the very least I would give them a résumé and a rundown/summary/reminder of the best work you did for their class (e.g., "I wrote a paper about how the past keeps irrupting into the present in Midnight's Children). If they gave you feedback, give it back to them: "You wrote on my Midnight's Children paper: "Beautifully conceived and beautifully executed." It might also help to show them your personal statement and/or go over some talking points.

Finally, just ask if they have fifteen minutes for a phone call. Talking to them about why you want to go to law school is a good way to garner some good will and also test their enthusiasm.

7262 karma

@LSATisJustLikeDarkSouls said:
    I haven't been through the admissions part of 7sage much yet. Forgive me if there are already answers for these.

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/what-to-do-after-you-get-waitlisted/

How to negotiate scholarships?

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/law-school-financial-aid/

My boss can't write. Can I edit his letter of recommendation?

If he's cool with it, sure!

7262 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    With the lifting of the 3 times in 2 year rule, how many LSAT takes is too many??

There's no rule of thumb. 5, 6, 7 takes might raise eyebrows, but a lot of admissions officers would probably take Ms. 7-takes with a top score of 170 over Mr. 1-take with a top score of 168.

Are two academic references *really necessary? Or one academic and one professional acceptable?

No one said they're necessary, just good! One academic and professional is acceptable.

7262 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    What is the theory behind the idea that applying early boosts your admission chances? How significant is the boost?

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/affects-chances-getting-law-school/

The theory is that schools simply have more open spots at the beginning of the cycle. Also, applying early signals that you're organized.

That said, it doesn't matter if this theory is wrong or right, or even whether admissions officers themselves agree or disagree, because we know from the data that early applicants tend to fare better. (There is, of course, a huge variance, and what's true in the aggregate is not necessarily true for any individual.)