Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what to do inbetween PT's

SleepyslothSleepysloth Member
in General 61 karma

So I'm doing 3 PT's a week, and I do the whole process in a single day (test, BR, and review) which means I'm dedicated 3 whole days a week to the PT'S... But then that leaves by 4 days of nothing. What should I be doing in these days in between? I don't want to waste PT's by making them practice drills instead, but I also don't want to use the fake questions as drills. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions and what you guys do once you're done CC? thanks guys!!

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Depends on what your current score, goal score, and BR scores are. It's hard to give more tailored advice without knowing what exactly it is you're trying to achieve.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

I personally think 3 PTs a week is too much and recipe for burnout. I'd do one PT a week and dedicate time to dissecting every answer choice during BR.

• SleepyslothSleepysloth Member
    61 karma

I'm doing the September LSAT which leaves only 10 weeks until test day, and I've heard that only 10 PT's isn't a good amount and I've been told 20-30 is the minimum... but i know people are different so i'm not sure

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@Sleepysloth well again it depends on what you goal is and how close you are to it. If you're not spending enough time BR-ing then taking PT's one after another to reach the goal of 20-30 is pretty counter-productive. And as @"lady macbeth" pointed out, taking too many PT's in a week could just cause you to burn out.

• humanbeinghumanbeing Member
    18 karma

I crammed PT's for a similar tight and totally unrealistic deadline, I finally realized. That was when I found this awesome program... I lost the fee, but will hopefully gain a few points by doing it right. I suggest taking more time and taking the sage advice here to heart.

• Raychul123Raychul123 Member
    179 karma

I did a similar breakdown of PTs and BRs per week and it may feel redundant, but what I would do in between was take note of the types of questions I was struggling the most with and I would either re-read the Power Score Bible chapter on that question/game type or watch the 7sage videos for that question/game type on the days in between in order to solidify the technique and the fundamentals for those questions.
    For reading comprehension, in order not to waste passages, I would go find some dense argumentative reading online or some dense academic articles and write low resolution summaries as I would for a RC passage. I didn't have questions to go along with it obviously, but keeping my brain stimulated in between practice tests really helped, and often the material was much more dense than actual RC passages which made them feel less overwhelming during my PTs.

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

You PT, BR, and review in the same day? I'd space that process out. Do your two (or three, if you must) PTs a week, but dedicate one day to PT, the next to BR and review, and then restart the cycle. You don't want to BR on a super tired brain when the idea behind BR is getting to that clarity that will show you the right answer.

• SleepyslothSleepysloth Member
    61 karma

thank you guys, this is all great advice! I am sticking with my September LSAT date so I will instead spread out my PT's, I agree that BR on the same day has been tiresome... and I will definitely keep reviewing my problem areas on the days off! Thank you all for the advice! :)

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@testfromaway said:
    You PT, BR, and review in the same day? I'd space that process out. Do your two (or three, if you must) PTs a week, but dedicate one day to PT, the next to BR and review, and then restart the cycle. You don't want to BR on a super tired brain when the idea behind BR is getting to that clarity that will show you the right answer.

Agreed. I used to BR in the same day but I've found it kind of defeats the purpose. Definitely I would ask yourself -- are you really, truly BR'ing or just going back over what you'd decided on a few hours before?

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

@Sleepysloth said:
    thank you guys, this is all great advice! I am sticking with my September LSAT date so I will instead spread out my PT's, I agree that BR on the same day has been tiresome... and I will definitely keep reviewing my problem areas on the days off! Thank you all for the advice! :)

I'm glad I came across this thread because I just took my first PT post CC and I wanted to BR at least one max two sections today and FP. But according to what everyone is saying, it seems like a good idea to space it out. In this case I'm thinking to do this:
    Monday: PT 4 or 5 sections (BR 1 section) FP
    Tuesday: BR 2 sections FP
    Wednesday: BR remaining section FP
    Thursday: Drill weakness (timed or untimed), revisit CC if needed, FP
    Friday: Continue drilling (timed), revisit CC if needed, FP
    Saturday: Drill, FP
    Sunday: Off

:) Obviously adjust as you please or if you need more breaks etc. Personally for me, I started a new strategy where I write out explanations for every AC for questioned I BRed. I enjoy writing them out because it has really reinforced my understanding but it is so exhausting lol. I

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@AshleighK said:

@Sleepysloth said:

I'm glad I came across this thread because I just took my first PT post CC and I wanted to BR at least one max two sections today and FP. But according to what everyone is saying, it seems like a good idea to space it out. In this case I'm thinking to do this:
    Monday: PT 4 or 5 sections (BR 1 section) FP
    Tuesday: BR 2 sections FP
    Wednesday: BR remaining section FP
    Thursday: Drill weakness (timed or untimed), revisit CC if needed, FP
    Friday: Continue drilling (timed), revisit CC if needed, FP
    Saturday: Drill, FP
    Sunday: Off

:) Obviously adjust as you please or if you need more breaks etc. Personally for me, I started a new strategy where I write out explanations for every AC for questioned I BRed. I enjoy writing them out because it has really reinforced my understanding but it is so exhausting lol. I

Based off the webinars, the recommendation of the sages (including JY) is that you BR while the test is still fresh in your mind. That is, within 24 hours of taking it. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it effectively but this one seems to be the most liked among sages.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@Sleepysloth said:

My one recommendation is that you don't take until you're ready. If you hit September 1 and you're 5+ points below your goal score you should probably postpone to November.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    I personally think 3 PTs a week is too much and recipe for burnout. I'd do one PT a week and dedicate time to dissecting every answer choice during BR.

I forgot to add that if I'm doing that many PTs a week, they're old PTs and not fresh ones. If you still would like to do thattttt manyyy PTs a week, I'd stick to using old prep tests that you've seen before, doing timed sections. And for one day of the week, do a full length test day condition PT (on a clean PT you haven't seen before). That's what I've been doing.

On days when I'm doing timed sections, I will pick a PT, set a 35 minute timer and begin one section of it. Afterwards, I BR that section only. Then I set another 35 minute timer and do the next section, then BR that section only until I'm finished with the whole PT. This way you give yourself a breather between each section of BR'ing. And still get to keep your skills and mechanics sharp for your simulated test-day condition PT at the end of the week.