Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 5 point jump in PT, first time ever scoring 167. Fluke?? - 7Sage Forum

5 point jump in PT, first time ever scoring 167. Fluke??

in General 224 karma

Good morning 7Sage fam,

I am among the legion of sagers it seems that will be re-taking the test after June. I had been averaging a 162 and scored a 161 in June. After looking over the test, I for 3 LR wrong within the first 10 questions and they were EASY, gimme questions that I should have gotten. Perhaps it was nerves? I absolutely should have had a 163 for June.

I took my first PT after June this Saturday and I scored a 167. The highest I have ever scored in a PT is a 163. Is this a fluke? Or can it be considered a jump in ability and subsequent test score? Perhaps the only way to know for sure is to take another PT. I simply wanted to reach out to 7Sage fam to see if somebody had experienced something similar.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

A high score like that shows that you are capable of scoring in the high 160's but it's not a trend yet. If you're scoring up there now, there's no reason why you can't score there consistently by September. Good Luck :)

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Congrats on the 167! :smiley:

As for it being a fluke..."fluke" might be the wrong word. Sometimes particular tests play more easily to our strengths. That could be what happened here...but that doesn't mean it reflects any less on your ability. So long as you're staying focused on gauging your LSAT journey by your average score rather than a single score, I'd say a celebratory ice cream sandwich is in proper order! :smile:

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

You could have gotten better at the test, gotten lucky with guesses, had the test play to your strengths or simply had a good day. The only way to tell if the improvement is real is to take more. It is certainly a good sign though. Congratulations!

How fod the blind review go?

• 224 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    A high score like that shows that you are capable of scoring in the high 160's but it's not a trend yet. If you're scoring up there now, there's no reason why you can't score there consistently by September. Good Luck :)

So would you advise to push back my test to september, not july? I am unfortunately already registered for July.

• 224 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    Congrats on the 167! :smiley:

As for it being a fluke..."fluke" might be the wrong word. Sometimes particular tests play more easily to our strengths. That could be what happened here...but that doesn't mean it reflects any less on your ability. So long as you're staying focused on gauging your LSAT journey by your average score rather than a single score, I'd say a celebratory ice cream sandwich is in proper order! :smile:

Its time for a klondike bar :smile:

• 224 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    You could have gotten better at the test, gotten lucky with guesses, had the test play to your strengths or simply had a good day. The only way to tell if the improvement is real is to take more. It is certainly a good sign though. Congratulations!

How fod the blind review go?

I think a combination of getting better at the test and lucky guesses. As with any taker, the real struggle is choosing between the 2 answer choices you narrow down to. In my LR section, I had circled 8 questions to BR and only ended up with -3 for the section. With the wrong guess, that -3 could have easily turned to -5. I think I am getting better at testing, but definitely need to improve more so there is not so much indecision. Thanks for your help!

2531 karma

@onecallthatsall said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

So would you advise to push back my test to september, not july? I am unfortunately already registered for July.

what is your goal score?

• sberg2014sberg2014 Alum Member
    63 karma

I just had the same thing happen. I jumped from a 163/164 average to a 169, but my score went back down after, at which point I realized that it was probably an aberration. But I agree with what people said, it's definitely not a fluke because it shows that you are capable of scoring that high, but I would focus primarily on a 3-5 test average. Good luck!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Once, it's a miracle. Twice, it's a coincidence. Three times, it's a pattern, so take a few more to find out if it's a fluke.

• 224 karma

@sberg2014 said:
    I just had the same thing happen. I jumped from a 163/164 average to a 169, but my score went back down after, at which point I realized that it was probably an aberration. But I agree with what people said, it's definitely not a fluke because it shows that you are capable of scoring that high, but I would focus primarily on a 3-5 test average. Good luck!

Thanks and you too! I have no doubt with time and hours, you will get back up to 169

• 224 karma

@eRetaker said:
    Once, it's a miracle. Twice, it's a coincidence. Three times, it's a pattern, so take a few more to find out if it's a fluke.

^^^bump. Best advice I have heard this cycle.

• 224 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

@onecallthatsall said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

what is your goal score?

To go to a school I would be happy attending I need a 163 to get into BC, Mason, W&L, or UGA.

A 165 could get me into a number of dream schools I would be THRILLED to attend - ND specifically. But to answer your question, a 163.

2531 karma

@onecallthatsall said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

@onecallthatsall said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

what is your goal score?

To go to a school I would be happy attending I need a 163 to get into BC, Mason, W&L, or UGA.

A 165 could get me into a number of dream schools I would be THRILLED to attend - ND specifically. But to answer your question, a 163.

Take a few more tests and if you're scoring 165+ i'd advise that you take

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    edited July 2018 807 karma

I agree with @"paulmv.benthem". It is definitely not a fluke, it is the highest score you have achieved (so far!) which could definitely become a trend :)