Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A dream so difficult to accomplish

sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
in General 360 karma

Tears. That's how this all started and feels like that's how it's just going to keep continuing.
The thought of wanting to be an attorney never occurred to me as a child until I had to sit through the medical malpractice case after my dad passed away from a doctor's stupid case. I was 12 years old, bawling my eyes out and in order to stop making a fool out of myself, I decided to concentrate hard on our attorney's opening statement. I fell in love with the field after that. Ask me about any SCOTUS decision, and I"ll tell you the rules they used, the dissents, and the facts of the case.
Flash forward 9 years later, I'm in my room, bawling my eyes out at my LSAT score.
Kind of funny, isn't it? The irony of it all?
It's so freaking frustrating.
I have a UGPA of a 2.88 (upward trend to a 3.45 by the end of my last year) all because I had a severe case of iron deficiency anemia (that had left me bruised up all over at one point) that went undiagnosed and left my brain constantly feeling foggy/ wasn't able to concentrate. Once I had the ability to see a doctor (thanks, Obama) I was diagnosed and that's where you were able to see that upward trend in my grades.
My first lsat was a 149.
My second lsat was canceled because the testing center was loud.
My third lsat was a 148 (I'm fully convinced this was a bubbling error)
My fourth? a 152.

I've ran local and statewide campaigns, have an impressive resume that ranges from AmeriCorps to non-profit work. I work at a law firm now. Helped organized food drives for our homeless community. Have a clean background.

I freaking LOVE the law. As much as everyone hates it, I wish I was in law school. I envy everyone that is.

Why is this so difficult?

I just .. I don't know what I"m doing posting this, but I guess I'm just looking for advice. Words of wisdom. Anything.

Much love to the 7sage community. You all keep me sane, nonetheless.

Comments

• lawschool33lawschool33 Member
    100 karma

Thank you for sharing your story. I completely understand how you’re feeling because I feel it too. My dream is to be a lawyer, and I can’t get into my dream school despite all of my other outstanding achievements because of the stupid LSAT. I hate this test, but I know that even though this process is difficult, it’s worth putting in the work to get a JD. People don’t say “collect your dreams.” They said to CHASE them because dreams are elusive. Chase your dreams and remember to be where your feet are. Be present in the world instead of worrying about just getting to where you want to be.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    edited July 2018 519 karma

Hi @sunflowersandlaw hang in there and stay positive. I understand that times will be hard but when you feel like everything is against you, from there it gets better. I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your father, but use that as a drive to do better. You can do it, I know you can. It's only difficult if you make it difficult. You have to grind those LSAT prep and stay focus.

Looking at your scores, you were improving! it doesn't matter that you were slowly or quickly improving, the point is that you were improving and getting better! Keep on practicing, keep on pushing forward. Your resume looks amazing! Now push for that LSAT. Don't give up, I promise you, when you get your first acceptance letter from a law school of your choice you will look back and say "it was worth it." So don't give up, keep your up, study hard, and stay positive.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I don't know you, but I just cried reading this post, @sunflowersandlaw. It's okay! Take time to be sad! (I once cried for like two days after I received an LSAT score.)

This is an LSAT forum and we read all these successful stories here, but the LSAT is a fickle, difficult test. It's super hard! You are definetely not alone.

Take some time off first, and when you are ready, you can try again.

• gkoskigkoski Alum Member
    106 karma

You aren't alone-this is a super supportive community of fellow test takers.

I myself scored pretty consistently on my PT, then scored below a 150 on the Dec 2017 LSAT. I was crushed, tired, ashamed, and disappointed. I found out about my score at work, and had to take an extended lunch because I kept ugly crying. I keep wavering if I can take this test again, or pursue something else.

Reading your post is inspiring, and know that you are not alone and that many of us are struggling with this test. Just reach out and the 7sage community is really supportive.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

This test is extremely difficult. Thats why fiftieth percentile is 151-152. I have struggled so so much, I did ugly cry after my first test score - 154. It is daunting and rough and sometimes you wonder if its worth it. But whatever your chose to do - make sure it is what makes you happy. You do not need to get perfect score to practice law. Many most famous attorneys in US did not go to top 14, or even tier one. You can succeed no matter what life throws your way. Follow your heart. Only you know what you are capable of

• GermanLSATtakerGermanLSATtaker Alum Member
    148 karma

Some schools started to accept the GRE. Might be worth looking into for people who have difficulties with the LSAT.

• janelleengjanelleeng Alum Member
    154 karma

Hey! I'm going through the same situation. I got my score back and it's just shy of a 150 but I'm not going to give up. I'm retaking in November and I'm going to study harder and keep working at it. This test is extremely difficult but you're capable! Just slowly review everything and make sure you fully understand every question. I've had my doubts too but you can for sure conquer this. If your dream is to go to law school and be a lawyer, you'll find a way to achieve that. Even if you don't go to a tier one school, it's okay. I know many many people who went to tier 3 and 4 law schools and are doing absolutely fine. You'll be okay. Don't be too hard on yourself, just keep working at it!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It sounds like your resume will be the strongest part of your application and you have an amazing, albeit tragic, personal statement topic. Also, you'll be able to include an addendum than an un-diagnosed medical condition damaged your grades. These things will help your application reconcile your low GPA. Unfortunately, you're going to have to put in the time that it takes for the LSAT. It's the most self-esteem destroying test that I personally have ever come across. It often makes us question our entire career choice. However, I can promise you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to continue with the method laid out by 7sage and this community. You will increase your scores. After all that you have been through to get here, I know that this test will not be the thing to hold you back from your dream.

Best of Luck to you

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

thank you all for your very sweet messages <3 I really appreciate the support. The 7sage community has been nothing but amazing throughout this journey.

• PadawanPadawan Member
    91 karma

I second Kateryna response. Abraham Lincoln was a self-taught lawyer. I do feel your pain as well. It's good to know we're not alone struggling. It should make you want your goal even more as it does for me when I hear others share their oh-so- intimate and vulnerable stories of struggle and heartache. I, too, love the law and as a non-traditional applicant, but like Madonna, have "reinvented" myself over and over again as well as go after this LSAT beast. My undergrad GPA is not too shabby to begin with, but I added a paralegal associate's degree with a 4.0 GPA to show my commitment and love. It doesn't really count with undergrad numbers but I know it is not meaningless to admissions. Along the way, I managed to procure stellar LOR's from not just attorney-professors but state court judge-professors. I have also accomplished law-related feats with the most unrelated jobs you can think of, to show that I have what it takes and the extra edge to compete with the most traditional of applicants. I hope you are encouraged and continue to be encouraged by others' stories like mine, as I am by others like yours, and take heed to advice on how to take fresh approaches to how to get to where you need to be. I will be taking my July test for trial number 1and I know I will take subsequent ones as well...because damn it, I'm not giving up. I have come SOO far in my journey that I can taste it, and being a good lawyer means how you get to that point, and it will show. I can see that much already in your story. You need to see it, too.

• westher008westher008 Alum Member
    37 karma

There are a number of law schools with decent bar passage rates that will still offer admission to you with your stats. You can definitely also mention the anemia thing as a difficulty you've overcome, which would make sense to the admissions officers.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

If you're good at high school level math (ACT/SAT level), I would look into which schools accept the GRE and possibly take that. Otherwise, it's important to realize that there are always people who get into schools with the lower-than-average LSAT scores. They get in because of work/volunteer experience and a solid addendum explaining their score situations. (It's worth paying someone to look over your addendum.) Even when you look at the 25th percentile of scores a school accepted, there are STILL people who got in with lower scores than that! Good luck!