Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I took a Pass/Fail GE Course and Received a Fail...advice?

LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member

Hi everyone,

I studied abroad my first year of college (new program) and had an okay GPA (3.4). I went back to my home university and spent nearly a whole year sick with the worst bout of asthma-bronchitis I have ever had (I missed a ton of classes, choked on air, could not speak, intense fatigue, etc.). I still maintained an okay GPA (3.0-3.2--I can't remember) but I missed the deadline to withdraw from a science GE I was taking (Astronomy) and although my university does not consider P/F in their GPA calculation--I have heard that the LSAT does and that a Fail= an F. I have not officially submitted my transcripts to the LSAC but I'm guessing my overall GPA will end up being pretty low (3.26-ish).

Should I write an addendum? My first semester Senior Year GPA was a 3.5 and my second semester GPA was a 3.7--so there was definitely an upward trajectory...I just don't want to seem like I'm making excuses, but my sickness seriously messed up my year. Sometimes I would try to attend class and then have to excuse myself to have a 10 minute coughing fit outside the classroom...And I'm not even exaggerating.

Also, my major GPA was MUCH better than my cumulative GPA--is that something I should point out? I was an English Literature major with a minor in Forensics and Criminality and so all the science-y GE courses messed up my GPA. My overall GPA was a 3.36 and my major GPA was a 3.56 (this is before the LSAC calculates my GPA). Also, I went to a competitive university in California--do law schools take this into account?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

help...

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I would definitely write an addendum. It is better to address something like this ahead of time than to force them to speculate. If you have the ability to do so, I would strongly consider retaking the class. That way, you will not only erase the mistake, but also be able to tell a more compelling story. But no matter what, briefly address it in an addendum of no more than four sentences.

However, since this is your addendum, make sure the rest of your application is strong. You don't want to have to justify all of your application, but if there is a single discrepancy, definitely explain it.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I definitely think you should write an addendum about the time you were having significant health issues. As far as the major vs other courses, no. They're going to see it, they'll take away their own thoughts on it. There's nothing really to explain. But they won't know that you were dealing with some bad health issues unless you tell them, so that is worth it.

I do think that LSAC will likely count that course as an F. It sucks, but it is a fail unfortunately. I don't think there's anything you can do about that, so best to focus on the things that you can do something about. :)

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

Hi everyone. Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. :)