Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of recommendation sos

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
in General 905 karma

Hello everyone- I have 1 prof who is writing on of my lors as an academic reference , the school then wants a non academic reference for the second lor . Would it be ok to use a high school teacher providing I volunteered with him in my first year of undergrad. The recent places I worked at were Work study’s so I don’t want a peer to write the lor (they are the supervisors). The same goes for my voulenteer experience. So should I pick a peer supervisor/ coordinator or go with a high school teacher? And I can’t use another prof because they said non academic.

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

If they want a non-academic LOR you should probably choose someone who isn't a teacher. To be honest with you though, don't be too worried about the status or position of the the person who writes your LOR. The admissions people just want to see that you are able to acquire a LOR from a work/school supervisor. Once you have the required LOR's the admissions office just checks off a box on your application and moves on.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    If they want a non-academic LOR you should probably choose someone who isn't a teacher. To be honest with you though, don't be too worried about the status or position of the the person who writes your LOR. The admissions people just want to see that you are able to acquire a LOR from a work/school supervisor. Once you have the required LOR's the admissions office just checks off a box on your application and moves on.

Yeah it just seems off to me to have one of my peer supervisors write a lor for law school . Nothing against them but I don’t know if the school would hold it against me

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@ebalde1234 said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

Yeah it just seems off to me to have one of my peer supervisors write a lor for law school . Nothing against them but I don’t know if the school would hold it against me

They won't hold it against you. As long as the letter is strong and is a testament to your professionalism and fitness for law school you'll be fine. If you have a supervisor who ranks higher than you at that job though, it might be a slight bit stronger to get it from that person, but it really doesn't need to come from them.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    If they want a non-academic LOR you should probably choose someone who isn't a teacher.

Generally speaking, you want someone who can vouch for your professional experiences. Do you have any internships or mentors that can speak to your ability to work in a legal environment? I would strongly advocate seeking those instead.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I would strongly advise against using a high school teacher. K-JDs are already looked at as immature (I say that as one myself); getting a rec from a high school teacher only adds fuel to the fire. Have you held any leadership positions? Any internships? Any volunteer work where there was a faculty advisor? Also if you don't mind me asking, what school is asking for only one academic letter? I can't think of any schools where one must be professional.

905 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    I would strongly advise against using a high school teacher. K-JDs are already looked at as immature (I say that as one myself); getting a rec from a high school teacher only adds fuel to the fire. Have you held any leadership positions? Any internships? Any volunteer work where there was a faculty advisor? Also if you don't mind me asking, what school is asking for only one academic letter? I can't think of any schools where one must be professional.

It’s a Canadian school they want one academic one professional.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@ebalde1234 ah gotcha! Sorry, I'm American so that's where my mind went.

905 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    @ebalde1234 ah gotcha! Sorry, I'm American so that's where my mind went.

No worries . The rest of the schools asked for profs which would have been easier to get , but I’m set on this school. Should I call admissions?