Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Currently Prepping for LSAT while still an undergard?

plopez1018plopez1018 Alum Member
in General 23 karma

I'm in my senior year at FSU, and I'm currently taking 2 classes at school this summer, as well as working 20 hours a week, and doing this. Is anyone here strapped - or was strapped - with a similar workload? If so, how much of the cc are you able to complete in a week? If you've finished the cc, how long did it take?

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

I was supposed but it wasn’t for me , I focused on my cgpa. Took a gap year and am
    Currently studying for it . I did however work while doing the cc ... don’t rush it or you won’t absorb the material. Because you’re under time constraints you might burn out faster so keep yourself in check and go at your own pace

• I.AyalaGarciaI.AyalaGarcia Alum Member
    11 karma

Hey there, I’m from USF, so not that far away! Anyways, wanted to let you know that I’m in the same circumstances you are, working, taking two classes plus trying to study for this since I’m taking it in September.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Just make sure y’all focus on and prioritize your GPA! You can take the LSAT as much as you want but you only get one shot at your GPA

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    Just make sure y’all focus on and prioritize your GPA! You can take the LSAT as much as you want but you only get one shot at your GPA

Agree

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I tried to during my final year, it didn't work out for me. I was just going through the process and not really absorbing the material at the level I needed to, just going through the CC as if it was a checklist. I decided to postpone till after graduation because I had worked so hard on my cGPA and didn't want the last year to be jeopardized by something I could do after graduating.

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

I am in a very similar position as yourself and apparently as many other undergrad students ! I started studying in December 2017 (during winter break going into Spring 2018 semester) and planned on taking the June 2018 LSAT. I soon realized that wasn't sufficient enough time between taking 16 hours for the spring semester and still getting in enough LSAT study time to achieve my desired score so I moved it to September 2018 and even November 2018 if necessary. During the week I manage to get 2-3 hours of LSAT in between class and studying for class; possibly 4-5 hours daily on the weekend. Do what is necessary to maintain all "A's" or close to that and whatever is left should be devoted to LSAT ! Good Luck.

• pkern888pkern888 Alum Member
    23 karma

I'm doing the same thing. I'm going into my junior year of undergrad and am currently working 30 hours a week this summer. On average I spend 1-2.5 hours studying for the LSAT per day. I am planning on taking the June 2018 LSAT and applying to law school Fall of 2019. I do not plan on taking a gap year inbetween undergrad and law school. For me this is working very well so far!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2689 karma

Summer is off from school, but yes. I've been juggling LSAT and full time school for months now, and will again starting next month. Plus part time work and family. Fun times.

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

I graduated a year early so I could do internships and focus on the LSAT... I couldn't handle both undergrad and the LSAT honestly

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I began studying for the LSAT the summer before junior year and I'm still studying for it as I enter senior year in the fall. The amount of time I would spend per week varied. I'm lucky that my workload wasn't that bad but I can't imagine studying for the LSAT with tons of stuff to do for school too. It took me about three months to get through the CC but that's because there were some breaks here and there. I've been studying full time now that it's the summer and plan to do that as much as possible until November.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Well I can say that quite a few students begin studying for the LSAT in their junior and senior year of college; studying for entrance exams while you’re an undergraduate is not totally uncommon and this is actually far more common the higher you go up school rankings. This means that you’ll see a lot more undergraduate students studying for the LSAT at Yale then at say Radford. Studying for the LSAT, MCAT, GMAT or even GRE while still completing your undergraduate degree can become a very arduous task and realistically ends up being too intense for many students. That’s not to discourage you from doing so at all, but just to acknowledge that such an endeavor is hard and if you don’t necessarily have to rush your LSAT studies you may be better served finishing your undergraduate degree first since you can always come back to studying for the LSAT. A friend of mine at Pomona started studying for the LSAT sophomore year; it took her two years to finally reach 179 but she got into Yale Law School. A classmate of mine at GW started studying for the LSAT her second to last semester at GW and did terribly; she got into Georgetown Law School nonetheless because she had good grades and was a good writer. A professor and mentor of mine graduated from Tufts a year early back in the 70’s and then worked for the EPA for 6 years and was a total hippie. She eventually decided she want to go to law school and ended up at Yale Law School. But anyways, if you’re going to study for the LSAT while still taking classes you’re gonna want to make sure that you take breaks and mentally check in with yourself so that you don’t burn out. There’s really no need to study more than 4 hours a day; especially since there’s a finite pool of LSAT material the golden range for a lot of students based on my observations is usually 1.5-3 hours with the exception of PT days. And in terms of my own experience, I studied for the GRE while taking 5 summer classes at Georgetown and GW. That experience was definitely a sheer test of willpower and I definitely learned that more studying isn’t necessarily a substitute for patience. If you find yourself hitting a wall honestly just take a break; it’s a process after all.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1617 karma

Well this might dox me lol (I wish the default wasn't to use the gravatar photo and instead let us pick), but I'm also a senior at FSU and took the test last Dec. Here's my study schedule: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14336/here-was-my-study-schedule-for-my-20-point-increase

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I am a rising Senior and I started studying December of my Junior year. Taking in July. The key to doing this is hating yourself. Im kidding im kidding I have enjoyed it. I think it helped I got some of my harder classes out of the way earlier. I also knew I might be going to Law School early and that I wanted to be K-12 so I started planning early. Good Luck!