Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ties in logic Games

sally mhrsally mhr Free Trial Member
edited July 2018 in Logic Games 24 karma

I came across these two questions while I was practicing rules translation in sequencing LG and I can't seem to understand what "disallowing/allowing ties" mean:

Deleted. [Admin note: copyright issue]

I know both seem the same when translated but I want to know what ties really mean in game rules and if they make any difference in translation.

I also did not get another example that I came through in translation:

Deleted. [Admin note: copyright issue]

Why isn't it R... ___G? isn't the red card the one behind the grey car which means comes before?

I would appreciate any help with these three examples.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3279 karma

R never appears before S
    1 (no ties). S - R
    1. (ties). S-R or (S and R concurrently)

If the rules don't explicitly mention that a scenario is possible, you have to think about it yourself. If we're talking about the times a group of people wake up in the morning, ties are reasonable. If we're talking about cars lining up to use the same pump at a gas station, ties are not reasonable.

For the last question you asked, it's going to depend on the orientation of the board. Do you denote the front or end of the line with the lowest index number? I think you understand how to write up the rule. It just may be that you didn't choose the same orientation as another person. Sometimes it's a matter of preference. Other times going with a weird orientation makes things confusing. For now, you might want to stick to whatever the lecturer uses.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Make sure you've studied examples of both single and double layer sequencing. If you've done enough of each it should be obvious when ties are allowed. Some games will tell you something like "two patients go on Saturday" meaning it's single layer with one tie. Those instances are explicitly stated.

The second instance is about how you know which side is which. Eventually this should be second nature. While you're learning/fool-proofing, take a moment when they use words like "higher/lower" "in front of/behind" and notate your board so you know what you're considering which. If you're ever confused, you can often look at the first question. It will usually be a list, and it will identify I'm how to label the first and last slots.

Both questions just come down to familiarity. Don't be afraid to make mistakes early on. That's how you learn!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

... I’m confused here. What do y’all mean by ties? I’m lost on what is being discussed here haha. Is there something new in the cc?

• sally mhrsally mhr Free Trial Member
    24 karma

so it basically means whether two entities go on one slot or just one entity, right?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    ... I’m confused here. What do y’all mean by ties? I’m lost on what is being discussed here haha. Is there something new in the cc?

Nope. This is from Kaplan.

9377 karma

Sorry @"sally.alghazali",

I know you were using the exact words from a Kaplan book or course. Can you rephrase them in your own words?

• sally mhrsally mhr Free Trial Member
    24 karma

I'm not sure whats the problem here? I found practice questions from Kaplan but I did not get the logic behind the answers and though I might find help from LSAT experts here!

Anyway, I was just confused about what allowing and disallowing ties meant, and the comments were very helpful, so thanks!

edited July 2018 9377 karma

@"sally.alghazali" said:
    I'm not sure whats the problem here? I found practice questions from Kaplan but I did not get the logic behind the answers and though I might find help from LSAT experts here!

Anyway, I was just confused about what allowing and disallowing ties meant, and the comments were very helpful, so thanks!

Hi @"sally.alghazali"

Sorry, you can't post copyrighted content that infringe on copyright. (Forum Rules) The practice questions you posted belong to Kaplan, and 7Sage isn't affiliated with Kaplan. So the content isn't allowed here.

This discussion has been closed.