Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WashU card?

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
in General 2689 karma

Hi all!
So.. I did the June Lsat. Bombed it horribly. Call me shocked when I get a hand-written looking note from WashU inviting me to visit (and offering to offset costs). I realize they probably mass send these things to whoever triggers something on their radar, because I haven't applied anywhere (retake in Nov).
But that's where I'm confused. My June LSAT sucked. Definitely not a #18 score. I have a really fantastic gpa and am first gen though, but everyone says that matters very little in comparison.
Can I just assume this is a mistake? What gives?

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Not sure, but if they're willing to pay you to come visit, I wouldn't question it :smiley:

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I wouldn't underestimate the power of a fantastic GPA + first gen! Being a first gen is incredibly rare nowadays, and I know some first-gen people that, despite having lower than 25th percentile LSATs for a given school, gain admission. That could definitely be why you're getting a hand-written letter to go visit AND for WashU to pay for the visit. It's a great advantage in your corner, however I would of course advocate working hard to up that LSAT score and broaden your horizons :smile:

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Not sure, but if they're willing to pay you to come visit, I wouldn't question it :smiley:

Yeah.. I'm kind of debating the idea. It's quite the journey, though.

@"Paul Caint" said:
    ... however I would of course advocate working hard to up that LSAT score and broaden your horizons :smile:

Yep! That's the plan!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

One totally subjective theory: WashU is known for giving out big scholarship money for high LSAT scores (helping out splitters like me). They may really like your GPA as an off-set.

Either way, they offered. If you want to see the school, take the trip. Fair warning: It is extremely hot here in St Louis right now.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Congrats! I think you should go unless you aren't really considering the school as an option.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Not familiar with that exact scenario, but last year a good number of people got emails from WashU asking to schedule an interview even though they hadn’t applied haha. I think it’s just a unique way of recruiting. The interview request worked on me, got my attention and decided to apply. They did give me a very generous travel stipend to visit for ASW last year, so can confirm they are willing to pay some travel costs! Also, I really loved their ASW - it’s a great school with really lovely folks there. Highly recommend the visit if you are interested! Or just send them an app and see what happens. :)

2689 karma

It's an effective tactic, for sure. And I am tempted to visit, even though they weren't on my list before.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Got the same hand-written note about off-setting costs, but mine specifically congratulated me on the LSAT. Did yours mention anything about your GPA? Also found an article about the person who wrote the note linked below.

https://law.wustl.edu/magazine/Fall2005/matchingstudents.pdf

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

It's just for recruitment. Doesn't mean anything.

2689 karma

I get that it's recruitment... I figured it was a photocopied note with my name written in to try and match. LoL. But the fact that I am even getting one is rather interesting to me. I shouldnt be, based on LSAT alone. I'm wondering if they maybe aren't looking for some high GPA's as LSAT Wrecker suggests. Unless literally everyone is getting these notes. That's the part that remains unknown.

2689 karma

@eRetaker said:
    Got the same hand-written note about off-setting costs, but mine specifically congratulated me on the LSAT. Did yours mention anything about your GPA? Also found an article about the person who wrote the note linked below.

https://law.wustl.edu/magazine/Fall2005/matchingstudents.pdf

Nope. Nothing specific. I figured I got a general invite. But they can't be sending it for my LSAT score, that's for sure. :smiley:

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3197 karma

Don’t discount a high GPA. My friend is a 4.0 164 non URM going to UPenn. In a cycle of high LSAT scores, high GPAs were a hot commodity this cycle and likely to be next as well.

2689 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Don’t discount a high GPA. My friend is a 4.0 164 non URM going to UPenn. In a cycle of high LSAT scores, high GPAs were a hot commodity this cycle and likely to be next as well.

Well, that'd be awesome. I mean, I'm still shooting for a much better LSAT score. But it would be nice if that is truly the case :smile: I have pretty close to that GPA now with LSAC (degree GPA is 4.2+).

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

If you have a 4.2+ then I'm pretty sure you received the card for your GPA. Law schools use a index score based on a equation calculating your GPA and LSAT into a single number. So WUSTL most likely found that your index score was high enough to warrant the note.

2689 karma

@eRetaker said:
    If you have a 4.2+ then I'm pretty sure you received the card for your GPA. Law schools use a index score based on a equation calculating your GPA and LSAT into a single number. So WUSTL most likely found that your index score was high enough to warrant the note.

4.2+ in my degree. Just a hair under 4 for LSAC.