Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lsat accommodations

TurkishcoffeeTurkishcoffee Alum Member

I recently got aproval for time accommodations for the September lsat. Problem is I’m taking the July lsat with out the accommodations. Do you think if I get a good mark on the July they will relinquish my accommodations?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Not sure. I wouldn't think so because they've already recognized you have a disability.

Personally I wouldn't sit for the July exam. You're probably going to score MUCH higher on the September exam.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

You were already approved, so I'm pretty sure they can't take that away from you. I would actually call and ask if there's any way they can also transfer your accommodations to your July test. They'll probably say no, but worth a shot!

1777 karma

@10000019 I think it's too late to withdraw. At least it will be good practice!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    @10000019 I think it's too late to withdraw. At least it will be good practice!

If you want practice, there are centers that will proctor old exams. Some test companies offer one free exam.

Normally I would say shoot for both tests since you might end up getting lucky and scoring on the higher end of your score band. But in this case the OP is likely to do much better on the second exam.

LSAC publishes statistics on this.
    https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/research-(lsac-resources)/tr-17-03.pdf

Starts at page 19 (or 23/27)
    Interesting plot (Figure 11) on page 21 (or 25/27)

"The average score gain
    for those who switched from nonaccommodated to accommodated/extra-time testing
    conditions was much higher at 7.57 scaled score points"

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Have you been studying for July with 35 min sections or with 53 min sections? If you were anticipating the accommodations, then taking the 35 min sections for the July test is going to be a huge shock. If you were studying with 35 min sections and are generally happy with your progress and average scores, then I don't see a downside to taking the July test. You could try to call LSAC and ask them to transfer your july test date to september or try to get a refund. I know it's too late to withdraw officially, but I've heard of them doing things outside of procedure on occasion. I've never heard of them relinquishing accommodations. Once approved they automatically transfer for future test dates, which didn't use to be the case I guess, and you have to request to have accommodations removed if you don't wish to have an accommodated test.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

I’ve heard both sides of this discussion and I would say unless you do incredibly well I don’t see why they would take it away . I know recently lsac is being more lenient with accommodations. If they do , I would appeal it .

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

No, I don’t think they would have any way of doing that.

However, I think I might advise you to withdraw from the July test. Assuming you haven’t taken an official LSAT yet, it’s possible that schools would see a big jump between test scores that are close together and ask you about the difference. LSAC does not disclose who has accommodations to schools, and you shouldn’t be required to do so either. But say there’s a big (like 15 point difference) between your scores. I could see a school being curious.

I’d say to withdraw from July because your score with accommodations would likely be significantly higher. It’s too late to get a refund, but you already paid the money. Having a lower score on the record doesn’t help you with anything. Better to just have 1 higher score.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Registration Withdrawal (no refund): July 22, 2018
    https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2018-2019/us-canada-july

FYI: You can withdraw the registration up until midnight on the day before the test.

1777 karma

Ok so that^ is good to know. I would withdraw.