Considering a Withdraw - Seeking Advice

kstiffler09kstiffler09 Alum Member

Hi Friends,

I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of the 7Sage community.

Long story short, I don't feel prepared for Monday's test. I haven't taken enough PTs and I'm not at a place where I feel comfortable with timing, etc. I work a full-time job, as a lot of 7Sage folks do, and I haven't put in the study hours that I'd like to.

I'd like to start law school in fall 2019. What do you all think - should I withdraw from the July test and take September's test or just go for it knowing that I'll likely need to retake it in September? I feel a bit stuck because even if I withdraw and take September's test, that still doesn't leave me a lot of time considering I will still have a full-time job.

Thanks Everyone.

Comments

• IntoTheFrayIntoTheFray Alum Member
    edited July 2018 67 karma

It depends on your current PT score average (if any) and your goal.
    If you've managed to hit your goal but you are albeit still uncomfortable, then I'd still give it a shot.

Otherwise, miracles don't happen on test day. If you're not exactly where you want to be in your prep, postpone.

• gotigersgotigers Member
    36 karma

I wasn't necessarily where I wanted to be going into the February test of this year, however, my score came back a few points higher than I had ever scored on a PT. Once again, I feel as if I'm not totally ready, just as I did in February, however, I'm very glad I forced myself to take it and will be taking the test on Monday. I also signed up for the September test too in case things don't go my way. I did see somewhere on here that someone said Powerscore had predicted that Monday's test is probably going to be a test from the high 60's-mid 70's PTs if that helps any (I tend to do better on those tests so fingers crossed).

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

You already paid, and you can't get any of that back. Might as well go and get the experience in and see what happens. If you retest and do better, no harm no foul :)

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma

@saironside said:
    "Powerscore had predicted that Monday's test is probably going to be a test from the high 60's-mid 70's PTs"

Highly speculative but hey, why not. Do you have the link for that?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you don’t feel ready, withdraw. There’s no use in having a lower score than you’re capable of on the record. I highly recommend not taking the LSAT until you think you’re ready. I withdrew twice before taking it and I don’t regret a thing. I would have scored much lower if I’d taken it before I was ready.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think it depends on how much you think you can improve between now and September. If it's 3 points or less, take it. Either way, it'll be good practice with the adrenaline under timed conditions.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    You already paid, and you can't get any of that back. Might as well go and get the experience in and see what happens. If you retest and do better, no harm no foul :)

I’m A big supporter of this mentality

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

@ebalde1234 said:

@AudaciousRed said:

I’m A big supporter of this mentality

I third that. Get your hands dirty and experience it. If you have to take it again you will be more relaxed and at ease. Having to retake isn't the end of the world.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

Get in there and mix it up. There is much value in the experience. Keep your focus and see what happens.
    GOOD LUCK

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I'd go for it. I was terribly nervous for the Feb test, really dreading it, and I'd had only 2 PTs in the range I aimed for (out of 5 total, including diagnostic). I still took it and I'm glad I did. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but it was so helpful -- to have to endure the pre-test filling out process, feel the nerves, and sit in the room. I think a lot of that stuff threw off my game. Going through it once makes me feel much more prepared for tomorrow's.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@kstiffler09 said:
    Long story short, I don't feel prepared for Monday's test. I haven't taken enough PTs and I'm not at a place where I feel comfortable with timing, etc. I work a full-time job, as a lot of 7Sage folks do, and I haven't put in the study hours that I'd like to.

I feel like you answered your own question. I don’t think there is much to be gained by taking it. Also I think it’s a terrible idea to just go in hoping to get the experience under your belt. I personally think you should withdraw.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3652 karma

If you’ve been scoring like, one point below where you’d like to score, then take it. Other than that, there’s no reason to take it. I don’t feel as prepared as I could be but I would be ok with scoring on the test how I’ve scored on my PTs. I think for some people just biting the bullet is necessary bc a lot of us are really type A and want everything to be perfect and could get stuck perpetually avoiding the lsat. I’m not sure if that’s your same situation as you haven’t mentioned how close you are to your goal.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

For everyone saying that op shouldn’t take it ... they already paid for the test . They might as well sit it because they can’t get a refund. If the score is the issue they can always cancel it afterwords. But again this will go back to the op. Whatever you choose you know yourself best.

• mgzero2mgzero2 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 86 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    For everyone saying that op shouldn’t take it ... they already paid for the test . They might as well sit it because they can’t get a refund. If the score is the issue they can always cancel it afterwords. But again this will go back to the op. Whatever you choose you know yourself best.

Before the new policy though the score would count towards the 3 allowed. I don't think canceled scores look favorable, especially if one exists on record. If they have none most admissions say one cancellation is not a big deal to them.

I'm not sure how favorable or unfavorable this looks.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3652 karma

@ebalde1234 said:

What would the benefit of taking it be? If one is PTing many points below their goal score, and has no intention of applying unless they have their goal score, then taking the test (and not scoring well) will be wasted money either way.
    I don’t think the “experience” of taking the test is at all helpful. Sitting in a classroom and taking a test is not anything new to any of us, and one doesn’t build up an immunity/acclimate to that anxiety feeling by just taking it proctored in an official setting once.

• kstiffler09kstiffler09 Alum Member
    53 karma

Thank you to all of you who weighed in; I appreciate your input. Ultimately I decided to withdraw from the test. Best of luck to everyone taking it today!