Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT Score is decreasing. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
in General 1654 karma
I have been studying for three months now, and I have seen a 19 point increase insofar (147-166); however I scored a 157 on a PT today, with a BR of 167. A lot of my mistakes were due to misreading, rushing and not paying attention to great detail. My RC is consistently -8 or -9. My PT scores are listed below.
PT 36: 166
PT 37: 165
June 2007: 162
PT 38: 157 (BR- 167)
Any advice? Do any of you seem to make careless mistakes on PTs? Have I plateaued? Would it be a bad idea to take another PT tonight, or is two in one day overkill?

Comments

• pannabpannab Alum Member
    28 karma
    Hi @alexandergreene93! Same thing happened to me a few months back. What worked for me was I took a break from LSATs for a day, took a step back and just did something fun with friends. I think I was at a point where I was stressing out way too much over every single question and overthinking it, putting too much pressure on myself and it sounds like you might be too. Everyone has a bad score somewhere along the way, I wouldn't stress about it too much! I'd say doing another one would be counterproductive at this point. Probably better to take a breather and get back to the next pt with a fresh mind! Hope that helps, good luck with your studying!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @pannab Thanks for the advice. I've practically lived and breathed the LSAT for the past three months. How often do you typically take PTs? I am taking the Oct 2015 LSAT and have more PTs than the number of weeks leading up to the exam.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    @alexandergreene93 I agree with @pannab you need a break... don't worry... this is a natural and even necessary part of your growth in the LSAT prep process... when you come back, you will be rejuvenated and things will quickly fall back into place. As for PT's you are in a pretty healthy spot... try do 2 a week with extensive BR... that should hold you in good stead.
    1654 karma
    @"Nilesh S" If I do two a week, then I will have finished all PTs by June or July. Should not complete any PTs until a few months before the test and then go at it with two PTs a week? If so, what should I do in the mean time? I have Cambridge drilling packets, but I still seem to get a lot of the difficult questions wrong. Do you have any advice for improving on RC?
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @alexandergreene93 Well that's even better i.e. prep material and time wise... what you ought to do work on your weaknesses by blind reviewing the hell out of those questions on the Cambridge packets that you get wrong... make a document tracking the types of questions that you get wrong and then eliminate your weaknesses by studying the lessons for such types of questions from the 7sage curriculum again... also re-enforce lawgic... and then move to the remaining PTs... remember, PTs are a finite resource... don't waste them by attempting a PT when you have got clear areas of weaknesses that you need to shore up.
    3438 karma
    I would still say take a break...and more than a day or two... I'd say 4 - 5.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Make sure you remember Quality over quantity! big thing to remember. You want to get in as many PTs as you can b4 test day but that doesn't mean you want to burn yourself and/or materials without getting everything out of it. Make sure you are taking ur time to fully review and understand what is going on. It does sound like your brain is getting a little tired so like Nilesh said I would take a break and do nonLSAT stuff for a few days and come back swingin hard
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    Also don't worry too much about PT 38 score... that one has a BEAST of a game which is one of the toughest games in LSAT history - even if you worked through it it may have affected your state going into the other sections... I remember crying to @"Jonathan Wang" about that game :D still what we've (I and @jdawg113 ) said ought to help.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Whether a mistake is 'careless' is completely irrelevant. You either made a mistake or you didn't. Did you skip a word? Misread a word? Mis-parse a sentence? Well, how are any of those things remotely excusable in any context, when words are the tools of your trade and your sole responsibility is to make sure you're evaluating them correctly?

Always adopt an attitude of no excuses. Were you careless? Well, how can you allow yourself to be careless when you're aiming for a top mark? Were you too tired because you finished up section 5 at midnight? Well, why'd you start it so late then? Did you stumble on conditional logic in this question? Then why don't you know it better? It's a tough thing to do, and your ego will take a bit of a bruising, but ultimately this sort of no-nonsense approach (buffered with the occasional relaxation day) will ultimately prove beneficial.

Otherwise, jdawg and Nilesh have it spot on. Quality trumps quantity every time. Generally great advice from those two, so be sure to listen to them.

And yes, @"Nilesh S", I remember that. I used that opportunity to give you the "you're not good enough then" chat, which appears to have worked out for you :D
    3438 karma
    Yes it did... :D I still feel that I should have done better though, but that's that.... hopefully will do better in law school ;)
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Can't agree enough with the above comments. I burned through a lot of preptests before I discovered 7sage and the blind review method. Now I actually spend several days on one test. I take the test under timed conditions, then blind review the next day. During this process I reread all the reading comprehension and do all the games again. I only redo the LR questions I circled, but I circle each question that gives me the slightest doubt. The day after that I score the test and watch all relevant videos. I then take note of which questions I got wrong and re-watch some of the instructional videos about those question types. On the next day, I redo all the logic games again, trying to go as fast as possible, remembering all inferences. I still see fluctuations in my scores, which I hope will get more consistent by June, but I have improved significantly since using this method.
    1654 karma
    Thanks for the advice guys.