Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic reasoning by question type and timing help

jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member

Hey ! . I had a moment today while studying and I just wanted to seek some more advice . So I am currently still learning logic reasoning by question type. I’ve completed mbt, mss, strength and weaken questions . Yesterday as I practiced my untimed strengthen questions I scored 14/16 . Feeling on top of the world I said it’s time to do a mixed review timed of all the question types I’ve learned thus far . Unfortunately I scored 5/12 on just the mbt and a few strengthen questions. I gave myself 5 full minutes to get these answers correct and I didn’t make myself feel bad for not complying some outside of the 5 minutes. However I did worst. Does this mean I still don’t understand the question types ? I haven’t done more than the first 20 PTs but I’m concerned that I need to do something different or is it just the process ?

What do you think?
Also is there anyone who has logic reasoning packets that can help me study by question type ??

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

When the questions are all blocked together by type, you go into them with the mindset for how to solve them. When you have to change your mindset quickly, in the moment, it adds an additional challenge. I don't think it means that you're bad at the questions, just that the concepts haven't been fully processed by your brain yet.

In terms of basic neuroscience (this helps me... but sorry if it is just confusing lol), the three stages of memory are encoding, storage, and retrieval. The encoding stage is when you are taking in the stimuli (like the video lessons), and that is turned into short-term memory. With rehearsal, encoding can turn into long-term memory, aka storage. But without getting this information into the storage stage, your brain will eventually discard the information for efficiency. Essentially, you need to work on rehearsal in order for this information to actually become a part of your long-term memory. The less you use the information, the closer your brain is to discarding the information. Does that make sense, or am I just nerding out?

• jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
    198 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" Hey! No that makes perfect sense ! Thank you if you don’t mind me asking how many times and hours a week do you study or would think it would take to master one question type at a time ? Is there something I can do to help with that rehearsing stage besides the drilling and disappointment lol

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

"Drilling and disappointment" hahaha. I think that drilling the questions and watching the videos is really all you can do. If you don't understand the video explanations, write a comment with your question, and hashtag "help" with it.

I would definitely stick with one question at a time, as it is laid out in the CC. And don't forget that the question types are in order for a reason: they build on one another! (Not all of them, but definitely some!) I typically study 5 days a week for 3-8 fully productive hours a day (usually 4-6). I got a really bad concussion that took away 5 months of my study time, so I'm kind of rushing through things for the September exam.

I would say that a solid 3 hours should get you to mastery for level if you're not working on the hardest questions. (With "Starter" you really can't.) That being said, Try to nail all of the questions that you have access to. There are a ton of level 1 and 2 questions on the LSAT, so definitely give yourself the opportunity to get them all right! Of course, everyone learns differently and at different paces. I've probably spent 10 hours on strengthening questions, and still struggle with the level 5 ones. I guess it's just not my thing!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2531 karma

If you took a whole hour to do 12 questions and got 5/12 correct, the problem is much, much deeper than question type. I would revisit earlier sections in the core curriculum that focus on logic and grammar. You probably should spend some time outside the LSAT to improve your understanding of logic and complex grammar

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    If you took a whole hour to do 12 questions and got 5/12 correct, the problem is much, much deeper than question type. I would revisit earlier sections in the core curriculum that focus on logic and grammar. You probably should spend some time outside the LSAT to improve your understanding of logic and complex grammar

I agree. Take your time. there is so much you can learn if you just give yourself an opportunity to do so. Go back through the curriculum and then review concepts that are giving you trouble. You can do it!

198 karma

@JustDoIt @Ohnoeshalpme can you expand on that a little more ? What exactly do you think I’m missing ? I’m just trying to make sure I get it . Logic and complex grammar ? Do you mean formal logic ?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@jjoushlyn said:
    @JustDoIt @Ohnoeshalpme can you expand on that a little more ? What exactly do you think I’m missing ? I’m just trying to make sure I get it . Logic and complex grammar ? Do you mean formal logic ?

The fact that it is taking you five minutes for each question tells me that you have a hard time internalizing the arguments made in the question. What this usually indicates is a lack of fundamentals. These are most commonly referred to as “logic” and “grammar” but could also be your ability to identify premises and conclusions or something else of that nature. The logic I am referring to is the logic in the 7sage core curriculum.

198 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme oh ok I get what you are saying ! Yes its not to hard
    For me to understand the conclusion and the premise I understand how to isolate them so I think it’s the grammar part ! Thanks !