Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivation

shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
edited March 2015 in General 463 karma
Hello everyone,
I'm struggling. I registered for the 7Sage Ultimate course and started prep for my retake in January . I work full-time in a small call center and I feel like I've been sick all winter but I am chugging along slow and steady. But sometime around the last week I hit a road block. Honestly, I'm a little depressed. Right now, I want nothing to do with the LSAT. I haven't completed any drills or games. I was doing a game/drill set a night. I haven't completed a lesson in about a week. I've been concerned with my future over the last few weeks. I'm financially not in the best place. It will be some better when I start law school (most of my credit cards will be paid off) but I will be relying heavily on loans while in school. I'm looking at a long distance move and I'm slightly worried about the financial implications of this goal. I turned 30 in January. I've already put off my law school plans for so long. I was going to go for this year when I originally started preparing but I had to put it off to retake the LSAT. I really don't want to put it off another year. I've been feeling a little down about my situation and wondering if its even worth it. I guess what I'm getting at I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me. Or anything that motivates them. Or maybe just e-hugs. Hugs are good too. Thanks.

Comments

• Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I think everyone has been in your shoes at some point or another, @shine.on.me. I certainly have!

If I were you, I would focus on feeling better in general rather than on the LSAT specifically. Is there anything that you find helps you when you feel depressed? For me, going to bed and getting up at a regular time really helps, as does eating well, getting exercise, spending time on my hobbies, and seeing friends as often as I can. Sacrificing these things in order to make more time for studying can feel productive, but I always end up paying for it in the long run. If you go through your list of feel-good things and are still feeling depressed, a visit to a therapist can be very helpful.

Once you're feeling like you've shaken off the worst of the blues, dip your toes back into studying. Remind yourself: this is a learnable test, and you will get better at it! I think seeing your score increase is the best motivation out there. Finding a study buddy to work through the curriculum/do PTs with might also be a good idea. Not only will it help you stay on track work-wise, you'll have someone who knows what you're going through. Commiseration can be a powerful antidote to LSAT angst.

Remember: what you're going through is temporary, normal, and in no way a symptom of insufficient motivation/dedication/willpower. It's just life, and it'll get better.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    Everything will be all right... the LSAT can wait and law schools will always be here... just work on getting your self to a better state mentally... everyone goes through the state of mind that that you are in at some point of time in life... and things will get better... try to be positive and good things (including a good LSAT score and hopefully a kick ass law school) will follow in time. :)
  • pseudonymouspseudonymous Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    521 karma
    HUGS
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3462 karma
    Get your mind right first before you attempt any LSAT related work. Because if you still aren't feeling right this whole studying will only make you feel worse. We all go through similar situations. Lets face it, nobody wants to study for a long time for this Test. But we have to it's the only way we'll get to where we need to be. I hope you figure out what exactly it is that you want to do and put your all into it! *HUGS*
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    Looks like there are some really good advice replies for you so far. I'm 37 and I'm waiting for my February score. I know how it feels, but don't worry as much about the delay in your life, focus more on getting yourself right and improving your situation so that you can take the next step. Do that and you're in better position to succeed than these kids who know little else but academics. I too struggle with depression, and I've been buried in debt for much of my adult life. One thing I've learned is not to just continue plowing into something when you're feeling so powerless and unmotivated. You don't really do yourself any good, and you risk developing an aversion to the objective you pursue, as well as making your depression and overall situation etc. worse. Back off, take inventory, be good to yourself, focus on the positives, like the things you are good at, the accomplishments (no matter how small) you have under your belt and the things you do have going for you. Regroup and position yourself to make a good, solid effort at something.

An addendum to my application's Personal Statement spoke about overcoming depression, debt and obesity, and making something of myself. If you'd like to read it, I'll email it to you. DM me your address.

I really do know how you must feel...it sucks. There's literally millions of people in our same position. You can always make your situation worse, you can always make it better, but you're not powerless over your own life's circumstance.

Good luck to you.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Never too late to follow your dreams. Stay strong!
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you. This is why I love the 7Sage community. It's very supportive. I personally think putting off law school another year would only make me feel worse. It's long and complicated. I'm feeling some better since I posted this topic. I went to group therapy (like I do every week) and I've been trying to consciously take better care of myself. I'm also going to start meditating again. I think what I am going to do is start back slowly. For example today, I think I am going to print off one set of games (my favorite and strongest section) just to get back into the swing of things and slowly work back up to going hard. I was originally planning for a PT this weekend but I think that would be a waste of a PT at this point but then again I suppose if its a decent score, It could motivate me. One thing I've learned through depression is to take it day by day and that's what I'm doing.

@christopherblair I'm going to need to send an addendum on depression with my application. I will DM you.