Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post LSAT, but Pre 1L Preparations.

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member

So imagine this. You're done with the LSAT and your applications. Some responses have already come in and they're positive, but you're waiting to see if your dream school gets back to you with good news. How do you prepare more? This is not my situation, and is simply hypothetical.

While on Youtube, I ran into a channel called LegalEagle (probably because of my past clicks on 7sage), and found some of their free videos pretty funny or insightful. So I checked out their website, which offers a pre-law school course on how to do well during law school (it goes over how to hack the grading system of most schools' exams, and how to be a better writer), but I found that course a bit lacking, and expensive for the amount of materials it offers. Are there alternatives that you guys are aware of that can help prepare us for 1L?

Thanks.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe the Harvard and Hardship youtube channel.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There are a few out there and it's a bit up in the air if they're helpful and worth the money or not. Reviews are mixed. Larry Law Law is one and I think @"Nicole Hopkins" took it and raved about it. But I've also seen negative reviews.

I have heard pretty unanimously that the book Getting To Maybe is very helpful. I've also heard good things about 1L Of A Ride. Books helpful for writing are Legal Writing in Plain English and also Strunk & White's Elements of Style.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

I've also heard great things about Getting to Maybe. There's also a free class on Coursera called "A Law Student's Toolkit" by Yale Law that you might find helpful.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Oh wow, thanks guys. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Oh, even a coursera class, perfect. I'll check out those suggestions right away.
    Lsatplaylist and leah, I feel like I've seen you guys around since last year. Since you're still around the forums, does that mean you guys are re-applying this fall?
    Thanks, everyone.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Rule of thumb is that prep courses like this are some what empty - you’ll learn as you go . There will always be a learning curve

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I also think Larry was only okay. I did most of the course and found it only somewhat helpful. I would read a little bit for pleasure if you haven’t been. Also skim through some short and happy guides. They’re quite helpful since you won’t learn black letter law