Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply early decision to Seton Hall?

TigerDenTigerDen Alum Member

I have a 3.32 gpa and 155 lsat. I have a 3.96 degree gpa. Do I have good chances at getting into Seton Hall with early decision? What are your guys thoughts? Or should I just apply regular?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You gpa and LSAT are below both medians, but not by a lot, so ED might be a good decision if you're absolutely sure that this is your top choice, and that you're willing to go regardless of whether or not you receive scholarships.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

No one cares about your degree GPA unfortunately. It’s not what is posted to USNews and so it has very little bearing on your application. Retake the lsat, anyone with a 150 can get a 160 with some hard work and dedication. You still have until November to get your score up 5 points, not an insurmountable task.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Is Seton Hall a school you'd be happy to attend? And a location you'd like? The thing is, as you know, ED is binding.

• TigerDenTigerDen Alum Member
    59 karma

@MissChanandler Can't do 2 early decision applications, can I?
    @Ohnoeshalpme Don't have time to continue to study for lsat. Busy with work and life. I'm staying at 155.
    @lsatplaylist Yes, I would like to attend Seton Hall. I just wanted to know if I would be wasting an Early Decision application if I don't get accepted. Would an early decision application to a school like Brooklyn Law be a better choice?

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

What are your other options?

59 karma

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" I'm looking at Brooklyn Law, Pittsburgh, Miami and Kentucky. However, I am not really looking to relocate from the NYC area. So the only real option I guess would be Brooklyn.

2531 karma

@TigerDen said:
    @MissChanandler Can't do 2 early decision applications, can I?
    @Ohnoeshalpme Don't have time to continue to study for lsat. Busy with work and life. I'm staying at 155.
    @lsatplaylist Yes, I would like to attend Seton Hall. I just wanted to know if I would be wasting an Early Decision application if I don't get accepted. Would an early decision application to a school like Brooklyn Law be a better choice?

Everything is a matter of priorities, if studying for 3 months can get you a fat scholarship, that should be your priority right now. 3 months of good study could mean $80,000 dollars or more.

edited August 2018 2531 karma

You have to consider that if you apply ED to Seton Hall, even if you get in, you'll be most likely paying sticker price. This is easily going to be 150k+ in debt. That's around $1500 a month for 10 years. This wouldn't be terrible though for people who manage to get big firm jobs. Unfortunately, Seton Hall is not a big firm kind of school. Only the top 10% of the class get these jobs and generally they have excellent networking and interview skills on top of perfect grades. Where Seton Hall places the vast majority of their students is in state and local clerkships. Meaning pay of around 40-50k per year. Now, after tax, that's $3400ish per month income, but you have $1500 to pay in student loans. So you'll have to live off of $1900 a month. And, you won't be able to quit your job either because you can't just abandon your debt.

Now imagine that you could rearrange your priorities and devote most of your energy to studying for the next 3 months. You could get in to the same school with a big scholarship and save yourself from massive, crippling debt. It seems worth it to me, but obviously it's your life and your decision.

I'm not saying this to scare you or make you angry, I just don't want you to make a decision without knowing the potential consequences.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

No, you can't ED to multiple schools (that's kind of the point of ED). Most of us on here are either students or we have jobs/careers (or both) and really do get that it's hard to carve out time from all of those things to study. It really is worth it though. And to go from a 155 to a 160, I honestly don't think you'd need to find more than say ten hours a week. That's just a couple hours a day or a couple longer sessions on the weekend. If you're not willing to retake, and you're not willing to relocate, you're kind of running out of options.

59 karma

@MissChanandler I see what you're saying.