Advice needed - Apply Early with170 or retake LSAT in November

RockingPhilosophyRockingPhilosophy Alum Member
edited August 2018 in November 2018 LSAT 12 karma

Hi Everyone! I hope you all are enjoying this beautiful summer!!

I want to maximize my chance of getting in Columbia law, but I'm having trouble deciding on the two options I have here. I hope you guys can kindly offer me some advice! And many thanks in advance!!!!

I am considering either apply early, say in October, or bet on a boost on my LSAT score. (I'm probably not going to consider ED because the stats in 2015 shows that Columbia doesn't favor ED applicants, according to http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/2015/05/to-ed-or-not-to-ed-2015-edition.html)

I was quiet surprised when I received a score of 170 from my July LSAT. It was my first time taking the LSAT, and my average prep-test score was around 168 before my actual exam. Because of that I still have around 20 clean/fresh prep test saved for my second test, which I was planning to take in November. I guess there is a chance for me to get a couple points of increase, but this will also mean that I will have to apply late, presumably in early December. So I'm not quiet sure what to do here.

My GPA is 3.84, which is above Columbia's 75th percentile, but my 170 LSAT is below Columbia's median, which is 171. Also, as an international student, my chance of getting in columbia is a bit lower than the domestic students.

What do you guys think I should do?

Advice needed - Apply to Columbia Early with170 or retake LSAT in November
  1. Advice needed - Apply to Columbia Early with170 or retake LSAT in November (with a 3.84 GPA)34 votes
    1. Retake LSAT
      17.65%
    2. APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE
      82.35%

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

That’s a good enough score to apply with. I wouldn’t suggest taking w the hopes of outscoring your average by an even greater margin. However, schools will review additional scores after you’ve applied so it’s not a bad idea to keep studying and retake once you find your average has climbed.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

Cant you just apply and then if you decide to go next cycle..apply again?

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Apply early, and stick with studying. If your average PT score increases with PT tests taken after the July exam, I would say like 172/3 average, then consider a re-take. You can also email any schools you applied for and ask them to hold or process your application.

What PTs were you using for your average before July? There are subtle differences between current tests and the July test, which was originally administered Feb2014. So it may be that you skill set is a bit better for tests that were administered in earlier years. The LSAT has gotten a bit more nuanced, for example more most strongly supported than must be true, in recent years. Check out this webinar for more clarification on this topic. https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-lsat-crystal-ball-webinar-predicting-the-june-and-july-lsats

I think the bump you'll get in applying earlier is better than a bump in a point. I put your current numbers into 7sage.com/predictor. It predicts 30% chance of acceptance with October application and 21% with a December app. A 172 and a december app predicts a 33% chance of acceptance. But a 171 with a december app predicts a 27% chance. You can mess with that yourself. It seems clear that applying early is the best bet. Also, stick with studying and if you feel you can outperform the 170 score, go for it!

• RockingPhilosophyRockingPhilosophy Alum Member
    12 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream said:
    Apply early, and stick with studying. If your average PT score increases with PT tests taken after the July exam, I would say like 172/3 average, then consider a re-take. You can also email any schools you applied for and ask them to hold or process your application.

What PTs were you using for your average before July? There are subtle differences between current tests and the July test, which was originally administered Feb2014. So it may be that you skill set is a bit better for tests that were administered in earlier years. The LSAT has gotten a bit more nuanced, for example more most strongly supported than must be true, in recent years. Check out this webinar for more clarification on this topic. https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-lsat-crystal-ball-webinar-predicting-the-june-and-july-lsats

I think the bump you'll get in applying earlier is better than a bump in a point. I put your current numbers into 7sage.com/predictor. It predicts 30% chance of acceptance with October application and 21% with a December app. A 172 and a december app predicts a 33% chance of acceptance. But a 171 with a december app predicts a 27% chance. You can mess with that yourself. It seems clear that applying early is the best bet. Also, stick with studying and if you feel you can outperform the 170 score, go for it!

Thank you so much that’s such helpful advice! I was scoring at around 168 before taking the July LSAT,using Pt50-60, although I have previously finished pt60-69.

Honestly I think I was being extremely lucky...I don’t know what my score would be if I retake.

I just feel guilty not using up all the materials I have for test prep lol

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

@shen24r congrats on your 170 score! That's a great score! one quick question:

did you study any PTs in 70s or 80s? Thanks : )