Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give me your toughest PTs

ParmeetBParmeetB Alum Member
in General 43 karma

Hey there. I'm starting with PTs in 4 days. I have 50 days till the test and I can only take about 20-25 tests if I take a test every second day. I'm confident it's doable. Thoughts? CANNOT postpone. Tell me the numbers of some of the toughest PTs you've taken. Thanks !

Comments

• lemmegetuhhhhlemmegetuhhhh Alum Member
    126 karma

Do the latest ones you can get your hands on, they ramp up in difficulty and have a slightly different feel.

• lemmegetuhhhhlemmegetuhhhh Alum Member
    126 karma

Work in sequence

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

72+ were the hardest for me.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 770 karma

How do you have 50 days till the test? That falls in somewhere between the September and the November test dates. Am I missing a test date here?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot test dates for international are different.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I thought 74 and the most recent one from June were both hard

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

That’s way too many tests. It can definitely be done, it just shouldn’t be done. You’ve got to take some time after each one not only to BR it but to reflect on what went wrong and how you can improve it. At that rate, you’re just going to hit an early plateau and stay there because you won’t have time to actually address or really even identify your problems.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2018 10774 karma

@ParmeetB said:
    Hey there. I'm starting with PTs in 4 days. I have 50 days till the test and I can only take about 20-25 tests if I take a test every second day. I'm confident it's doable. Thoughts? CANNOT postpone. Tell me the numbers of some of the toughest PTs you've taken. Thanks !

I do not recommend that at all. Take 1 test, blind review it, figure out your weaknesses, then do drills. Once that's done, only then, take the new PT. This should take at least 1 week for each PT.

Taking a PT only shows you what you don't know and taking PT's after PT's is only going to reinforce that knowledge. In order to improve you will have to figure out what you need to change in order to get a better score the next time you take a PT. To do that, you'll have to first analyze your last PT (blind review and figure out weaknesses). Then, you will have to do drills to get rid of those weaknesses. The new PT will show whether you were able to overcome your weaknesses from last time and what's the new thing you need to work on.

Instead of thinking LSAT as a test where doing [X] amount of PT's before your test date will get your goal score. See it as a test where working on your weaknesses is going to help improve your score. But this is a slow process. I understand that you do not want to move your test day. But it could mean that your current test day and when you are actually ready with the goal you have in mind may be different days. So my advice is to not burn PT's, do proper review so you can improve and not plateau, and register for the test when your PT score starts looking like your goal score.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2018 10774 karma

Deleted. I quoted myself here. :joy:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I thought 72 has exceptionally tough LR sections. I find with PTs it's the individual sections that are what I always remember being hard, not necessarily the full test.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

@Alex said:
    I thought 72 has exceptionally tough LR sections. I find with PTs it's the individual sections that are what I always remember being hard, not necessarily the full test.

72 was an all time low for me. made me feel really bad after taking it

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TTurner24 said:

@Alex said:

Same dude. I was at the peak of my performance leading up to it too which made it hurt that much more lol. I was finally seeing solid low170s scores and I think PT 72 ended up being a 164 for me.

2038 karma

Lol yep almost a 10 point drop from PT 71 to 72 for me...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@eRetaker said:
    Lol yep almost a 10 point drop from PT 71 to 72 for me...

That's why I love ya'll so much -- I never feel like I'm alone or as much of an idiot as I probably am lol

The good news is, I bounced back on the next one... So there's hope!

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

@Alex said:

@TTurner24 said:

@Alex said:

Same dude. I was at the peak of my performance leading up to it too which made it hurt that much more lol. I was finally seeing solid low170s scores and I think PT 72 ended up being a 164 for me.

Sounds about right. Normally I score around 168 with a BR of low 170s. 72PT ended with a of score159 and the BR was just brutal and dreadful.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Is it bad I want to take PT72 now just to see what the hype is about....

2038 karma

@keets993 weird games section, and also the start of the change in LR and RC questions to being more open "most strongly supported" type rather than "must be true" types are what made PT 72 hard imo.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2018 23929 karma

@keets993 said:

Haha that was my impetus for taking it originally... someone telling me how hard of a time they had with it.
    I honestly think going in with that mentality was probably immensely unhelpful. I still think LR and one or two of the games were quite challenging. It's been like 3 weeks since I took it, but I distinctly remember almost running out of time on LR1 when I usually always have 5-8-ish minutes left to go back for a round 2. I think part of what made the section hard was how front loaded it was with questions that made me second guess myself. A few q-types I had never encountered before either. I find that I do so much better when I can get through the first 10-15 questions and feel like I nailed em', that confidence carries me through the rest of the section.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @keets993 weird games section, and also the start of the change in LR and RC questions to being more open "most strongly supported" type rather than "must be true" types are what made PT 72 hard imo.

Facts. I actually skipped from like 64 to 72 but that was one thing I noticed too.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    edited August 2018 588 karma

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/83072

A lot of people seemed to think that PT 73 was particularly difficult, but strangely enough, PT 66 and 73 are my best scores to date.

So what some might find difficult, may be easier for others

But anyways, hope this helps haha

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 1777 karma

Omg now I feel so much better hearing about PT 72. I got -17 combined LR when my diagnostic was -22. I was so upset. But I actually thought LG wasn't too difficult on it. @keets993 take it! I didn't think it was that bad while I was taking it, but there were just so many little LR question details that I overlooked. Pay extra attention to the wording of the question stems on that one!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@Alex @eRetaker maybe it won't be as jarring since I've taken PTs in 70s before. Although I am doing better on 70s than I have for the others, but that's also to be attributed to getting used to timing and implementing test-taking strategies.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

72 was my personal PR but I thought that 73 was pretty hard haha!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2018 1866 karma

First off, yeah, don't take a PT every other day. At most you should take two PTs a week, and that's assuming you have plenty of time to BR thoroughly, review, and drill your weaknesses. Like JY says, PTs are snapshots. Your time spent between PTs are how you truly improve your score.
    In the beginning you'll likely have more stuff to drill anyway, so you might consider just one PT every couple of weeks until you get your foundations solid.

As for tests, I actually thought 72 was fine (scored my average, did fantastic on BR), but 76 was one of my worst, 73 not far behind.

More than overall PT difficulty, you might take a PT that has a hard version of your worst section (LR, LG, RC). I honestly think my subjective belief about PT difficulty changes with how difficult the LR section is (my comparatively weak section), and it's doubly bad when there are two tough LR sections in one PT.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

I just drilled PT 71's RC and I found it to be very difficult. It has the famous mirror passage. If you wanted to challenge yourself and check it out, go for it while you're at it lol

2038 karma

I should clarify that my scores died from PT 72-78 lol Some of the toughest sequences of LR and RC I've seen.

• alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
    715 karma

@keets993 said:

Haha that is exactly what I was thinking while reading all of the comments. Now I am curious how I would do.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    edited August 2018 786 karma

Ok yeah adding to this: 72 wrecked me and my self-esteem. I took a long shower after I took it and contemplated my life. I intend to watch Brooklyn Nine-nine soon to lift my spirits lmao

• TeaLoverTeaLover Alum Member
    151 karma

I must be a weirdo cuz I actually found PT 72 to be okay for me lol. My lowest score after finishing CC was from PT 60 (I went 6 points lower than my average), but I also feel PT 84 (aka June 2018) had one of the hardest LR.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2018 1277 karma

73 was tough for me! 72 has a brutal RC if I recall. For me personally I find modern tests with tough curves to be the hardest. Obviously 72 is harder then 81 raw score wise. When it comes to getting a good actually lsat score, 81 and 84 were bad for me. Did not play to my strengths. On the other hand, hard tests with generous curves (71) do play into my strengths. I think it’s a personal call.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@eRetaker said:
    I should clarify that my scores died from PT 72-78 lol Some of the toughest sequences of LR and RC I've seen.

that sounds terrifying. Did they rebound in the 80s? I still haven't hit the 70s. So I'm trying to brace myself.

2038 karma

@jdmccar95 Yeah I had a huge score jump coming into the 80s. I think that was mainly due to me finally adjusting to the new LR and RC language in the 70s. I will reiterate that though I scored a lot lower in 72-78 versus 67-71, I was definitely getting better at understanding the LSAT and learning a lot more from the tests in 72-78. It just wasn't reflected in the scores lol.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

All of them, but knowing we're here helping each other is a great thing to remember when things don't go as well. We're going to keep improving, sometimes slowly but an improvement is still an improvement. Don't give up.

• ParmeetBParmeetB Alum Member
    edited September 2018 43 karma

Appreciate the advice. This test is killing me :)