Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who should i ask for my LOR?

So i have one solid LOR down from a professor but for my second one I am conflicted on who to ask. I had one TA for two courses (first class they were a TA but second class they were independently teaching it as a seminar course.) I am on very good terms with them and know that i could get a VERY strong LOR from him, however he is not a professor. I also have a prof who i know would give me a LOR but it would not be as strong, most likely a standard one. Which one should I go for?

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma

I would go for the first option.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited August 2018 2531 karma

Admissions officers will always tell you to get the letter from the person who knew you the best. They'd rather get a letter from a TA who has great things to say than the Nobel prize winner who barely knew you.

In your case, getting the generic letter from a professor that will "check the box" but it won't help you either. I am assuming that a letter from a TA that is more positive and personal has a better chance of making a positive impact.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Also I should add that admissions officers usually weight these very low on the list. It's seen as a requirement that you have two professors that will write you a recommendation, but the content of a letter isn't going to make a difference in your application. This is because almost all letters of recommendation are glowing. It's so hard for admissions officers to differentiate between candidates on the basis of these letters alone. SO the message here is to find letters from professors that say good things and you'll be fine. You don't really have to worry so much about who the letter is from.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Yeah, go with the first one and don't worry too much about their job title.