Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would like some help on the English of this RC question's AC

edited August 2018 in Reading Comprehension 1025 karma

English is my first and only language I know.
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-57-section-4-passage-2-questions/

PT57 S4 P2 Q8

Passage summary:
If you don't want to read the passage, the author thinks science and humanities can benefit by a synthesis of the two, the result being the coined phrase of "scientific humanism." The author is neutral in regards to favoring either discipline and blames the two areas having a misunderstanding of one another that is preventing them from coming together.

Question 8. Inference: Author Agree

Answer A: Scientific Humanism is characterized by the extension of description and explanation from science to the humanities.

When I first read this, I thought it was stating "from science to the humanities" in the form of a spectrum. In other words, my first reasoning was analogous to the song America the Beautiful, where it states, "from sea to shining sea." The song is not stating "crowd brotherhood from one sea and put it into the other." But the AC here should be understood as "take description and explanation from science and put it into the humanities." English is strange and I am wondering if anyone else thought this way. I understand my first reasoning is not the correct way of viewing the English for this question. So, how can I not make this mistake again?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I think (A) is saying:

Scientific Humanism extended science's description and explanation to the humanities.

But I don't know if I understand it correctly. Anyone? tagging @"Cant Get Right"

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You could think of it like when people say "I extend my condolences." They mean that they are giving their condolences to someone. The "extension" is science giving characteristics (description and explanation) to the humanities.

• 1025 karma

Thank you both for the comments. Ahh, your explanation helps tremendously. My emphasis was wrong then it seems, thanks for the clarification!! @MissChanandler