Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you listen to while studying?

Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
edited August 2018 in Off-topic 389 karma

I tend to have music on in the background when I review. I've tried to keep my main jams going (K.Dot, J.Cole, Champagne Papi, etc.), but I just start jamming out, so I had to stop that. I now have Spotify's song radio playing off of an initial Debussy or Saint-Saëns number. So, I'm curious: what do y'all listen to when studying?

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited August 2018 6045 karma

It's either silence or podcasts or non-hype music.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

I normally listen to nothing, but if I'm drilling LG or just foolproofing some old ones I do turn on my jams. (Currently: Travis Scott, Astroworld)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited August 2018 8392 karma

Most often: nothing. Sometimes some background noise is needed though, and I've really enjoyed playing some Sigur Ros. Explosions in the Sky occasionally, and some film soundtracks. Basically, I need instrumental only. Anything with lyrics is too distracting.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Most often: nothing. Sometimes some background noise is needed though, and I've really enjoyed playing some Sigur Ros. Explosions in the Sky occasionally, and some film soundtracks. Basically, I need instrumental only. Anything with lyrics is too distracting.

Oh yeah! Same here. When I do play music, I put it at a very low volume.

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    edited August 2018 389 karma

@TTurner24 said:
    I normally listen to nothing, but if I'm drilling LG or just foolproofing some old ones I do turn on my jams. (Currently: Travis Scott, Astroworld)

Oh man, oh man, Astroworld's got me like: https://badgerherald.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/travis-scott.gif

@"Leah M B" said:

Thankful that you've reminded me of Sigur Ros, bless.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I don't listen to anything because it's too distracting. Some people say that classical music (no lyrics) helps them. If I'm in a coffee shop or somewhere not very quiet, I'll listen to a white noise track on my phone.

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I don't listen to anything because it's too distracting. Some people say that classical music (no lyrics) helps them. If I'm in a coffee shop or somewhere not very quiet, I'll listen to a white noise track on my phone.

I'm going to try out white noise and see how it goes! And yeah, I can see how music could distract, for sure. But, since I'm often studying in very quiet places, I find the silence to be super distracting!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Usually nothing because I don't want to get too used to having music and then not have it on test day. I'm lucky and I can study at work a lot though so that's definitely part of it.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

I listen to nothing as well.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Binaural beats to expand the mind

• willis91willis91 Alum Member
    101 karma

the spotify "Intense Studying" playlist is my jam lately, although I try to do practice tests in silence to prep for test day.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@"Tim Hortons" said:
    I'm going to try out white noise and see how it goes! And yeah, I can see how music could distract, for sure. Though, since I'm often studying in very quiet places, I find the silence to be super distracting at times, haha.

Sounds good! The track I just got is called White Noise Fan by Acerting Art. If you turn in on loudly, it may be distracting for the first minute or so, but your brain will get used to it quickly.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I personally don't understand how or why people study with music on, for me it's perfect silence. Occasionally i'll put on room ambience with shuffling of papers, sniffling or footsteps just because that's what the test is going to be like.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

Deep focus playlist on Spotify! :) Mostly really chill classical stuff that my brain doesn't focus on too much so it just becomes background noise.

@katewillis91 said:
    the spotify "Intense Studying" playlist is my jam lately, although I try to do practice tests in silence to prep for test day.

@Sarah_39 said:
    Deep focus playlist on Spotify! :) Mostly really chill classical stuff that my brain doesn't focus on too much so it just becomes background noise.

Just discovered these playlists! They're great. And agreed, @katewillis91 - I only listen to music when I BR or review, never when I PT.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Usually? My dogs barking at something or a lot of background noise. No music though. I think it was would bad to get used to having music when I cant have any come test day

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

I take my PTs next to an open window in my house so I can hear all the outside noise. Trying to train myself to concentrate even with other things going on in the background. It has actually helped too.

• Brian BaileyBrian Bailey Member
    73 karma

For just studying I primarily listen to two artists: 1) This Will Destroy You 2) Explosions In The Sky. If you like more down-tempo instrumental music you should check them out. Very relaxing. For timed practice I listen to nothing just to stay focused.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Fan noise works best for me:)

• jlaw7494jlaw7494 Alum Member
    60 karma

I unironically enjoy listening to vaporwave whenever I study. Spotify even has a semi-official playlist.

• Sarri BallSarri Ball Alum Member
    74 karma

normally nothing, but Noisli's white and brown noise functions have proved useful in drowning out noise when in a library.

occasionally, I'll put on some Chopin during BR.

• HesiJimboHesiJimbo Member
    31 karma

the sound of me sobbing

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

https://binged.it/2PyKSIR

Deep House keeps the vibes light, but the intensity strong! My favorite mix is above ^

@"up the Chels" said:
    occasionally, I'll put on some Chopin during BR.

I got Chopin on when I BR too!

@"Brian Bailey" said:
    For just studying I primarily listen to two artists: 1) This Will Destroy You 2) Explosions In The Sky. If you like more down-tempo instrumental music you should check them out. Very relaxing. For timed practice I listen to nothing just to stay focused.

Will do! If they're anything like Bonobo, then I have a feeling I'll enjoy 'em.

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" said:
    https://binged.it/2PyKSIR

Deep House keeps the vibes light, but the intensity strong! My favorite mix is above ^

You weren't kidding - that mix definitely ups the intensity. I reckon it's especially well-suited for BRing/fool-proofing logic games.

@HesiJimbo said:
    the sound of me sobbing

Oh boy, do I empathize, haha.

• The drag racers just outside my bedroom window. They provide the most obnoxious sounds that nothing would be able to trump that on test day. If I need to escape them, then I would go to the library or nearby coffee shop!

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

Absolutely nothing lol. I don’t see how you all do it.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I don't listen to anything. I get enough background noise from family members talking. At the beginning of my studies I listened to Deep House and the Atmospheric Calm playlist on Spotify, but it became too distracting.

• MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
    123 karma

Chopin

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

The cold dead silence :)

• 534 karma

The noise of a Starbucks bartista working her magic

• drbilly5191drbilly5191 Member
    15 karma

7Sage proctor on distractions level .

@InteriorCrocodileAlligator said:
    The drag racers just outside my bedroom window. They provide the most obnoxious sounds that nothing would be able to trump that on test day. If I need to escape them, then I would go to the library or nearby coffee shop!

By developing a tolerance for drag racers, you'll easily swerve all distractions on test-day!

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    The noise of a Starbucks bartista working her magic

You and me both, haha.

@MarClaAve said:
    Chopin

http://urbanmoms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/beyoncegif.gif