Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided to delay

AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
in General 786 karma

Making this post to thank everyone who has messaged me or replied to my posts the last 4 months! I was really set on taking the test in September but after experiencing burn out and realizing that I'm still not where I want to be, I've decided to take a few days off to collect myself before jumping back in to conquer the November exam. I had my reasons to avoid delaying but I've hit a point where I'm taking things in stride and trusting the process. After all, I'm not starting from nothing - rather just picking at my weaknesses and working on maximizing my strong sections.

Wanted to make this post for everyone who is currently contemplating the decision or is in the same boat as me. We got this and everything happens for a reason! Take it as a chance to restructure your study schedule and make changes accordingly - something I forgot about along the way is that the LSAT is always going to be there. It's better to take it when you're ready as opposed to forcing yourself to sit through the exam and get wrecked because you're not ready. Then you'll have to face the psychological effects of being sad or upset at your score when clearly it wasn't time to take it and enter a cycle of self-doubt and contemplating your law school dream. Don't let your pride get in the way of what's best for you!!!

Comments

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    839 karma

Very well said. It takes a lot to push the test back but pays so much dividends later. The LSAT journey is no other. I delayed the test date as well. To anyone struggling, don't feel guilty or make yourself feel bad for not hitting the target score or getting the concepts down. The LSAT is learn-able and with practice you will be able to get to where you need to be.You can only do so much, at some point you will feel the burnout. Take care of your-self and take it day by day. What is meant to be will be. Good luck!

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

@"Beast Mode" said:
    Very well said. It takes a lot to push the test back but pays so much dividends later. The LSAT journey is no other. I delayed the test date as well. To anyone struggling, don't feel guilty or make yourself feel bad for not hitting the target score or getting the concepts down. The LSAT is learn-able and with practice you will be able to get to where you need to be.You can only do so much, at some point you will feel the burnout. Take care of your-self and take it day by day. What is meant to be will be. Good luck!

100%... I was so stressed and anxious last week trying to get myself to delay. I reached out to so many people and actually talked to my family about it (I suck at talking about my feelings). It was mixed with responses but I decided to go with my gut and face the fact that I'm just not ready yet. I was pretty bummed that I hit burn out NOW but I think it was also a sign that it wasn't meant to be for this date. Best of luck to you <3

• DanielB84DanielB84 Alum Member
    95 karma

I agree with Beast Mode. It takes a lot to push back the test date but it is like what you said, "the LSAT will always be there" I think your discipline to know that you will have to put in more work when you are at a better comfort level will pay dividends for your score and most importantly for your dreams of becoming a lawyer. Best wishes and keep us updated!

edited August 2018 839 karma

@AshleighK I was literally in the same boat and I came to the realization that there is no point taking the exam when my intuition was telling me that I wasn't ready. I decided that it's better to have time to relax and enjoy learning rather than seeing it as something that I need to get done. I was disappointed to push back the date. But like you mentioned in your post, the psychological effects of seeing a low score is not worth it. Especially if you push the date back and give your self extra time to go over fundamentals/pt's and earn a high score. What is meant to be will always find it's way when it's the right time. Thank you, best of luck to you as well! You can do it. :smile:

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Good for you and for having self awareness. Very good trait. Law school will always be there. literally. If you don't have a terminal illness, there is absolutely no reason for you to rush the LSAT and rush going to law school.

839 karma

@danielbillostas @Tom_Tango I couldn't agree more. Especially now the two year limit has been lifted, it takes the pressure off a bit. Best of luck!!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Proud of you <3

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I've delayed twice now. I'm positive you made the right choice!

786 karma

@danielbillostas said:
    I agree with Beast Mode. It takes a lot to push back the test date but it is like what you said, "the LSAT will always be there" I think your discipline to know that you will have to put in more work when you are at a better comfort level will pay dividends for your score and most importantly for your dreams of becoming a lawyer. Best wishes and keep us updated!

Exactly! The comfort level is such a big key in killing the LSAT so I know with time it'll come. Thanks for your kind words and I definitely will <3

786 karma

@"Beast Mode" said:
    @AshleighK I was literally in the same boat and I came to the realization that there is no point taking the exam when my intuition was telling me that I wasn't ready. I decided that it's better to have time to relax and enjoy learning rather than seeing it as something that I need to get done. I was disappointed to push back the date. But like you mentioned in your post, the psychological effects of seeing a low score is not worth it. Especially if you push the date back and give your self extra time to go over fundamentals/pt's and earn a high score. What is meant to be will always find it's way when it's the right time. Thank you, best of luck to you as well! You can do it. :smile:

Yeah that realization came to me when I legit had a LSAT nightmare. I planned to take a PT the next day and I was stuck tossing and turning at 3am. That's when it really hit me. @keets993 also had something to do with when she told me that was a sign. It'll all come together for us both! I was worried about not being able to gain as much from studying since I studied full time this summer vs. going back to school + work + clubs etc. But to me, I realized maybe having less time to study is a good thing at this point. I've already completed the CC so now it'll really force me to ensure I have quality sessions vs. just taking my sweet time you know? We got this though. Don't hesitate to message me at any point <3

786 karma

@Tom_Tango said:
    Good for you and for having self awareness. Very good trait. Law school will always be there. literally. If you don't have a terminal illness, there is absolutely no reason for you to rush the LSAT and rush going to law school.

Thank you for that compliment! I came to that realization too. I had this romanticized idea of being a perfect student and child acing school, killing the LSATs, and jumping into law school right after graduation. But I've realized life isn't that clear cut all the time and things come up. It's not about how quick you get to the destination!

786 karma

@keets993 said:
    Proud of you <3

You played a huge role in this decision and I'm so grateful you've also decided to delay! November BR group and DT meet ups... we are out there

786 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I've delayed twice now. I'm positive you made the right choice!

You're amazing! It takes guts and you did it twice. You've got this! What exam are you looking at now?

786 karma

https://media.giphy.com/media/gXBvUnoE1Dd60/giphy.gif

Do it for the OVO gang always but thank you <3 I'm positive you'll make the right call for yourself too!

839 karma

@AshleighK I completely understand. Thank you for making the post as well. It's so great to have a supportive community such as 7Sage. I will definitely reach out to you and don't hesitate to do the same! @keets993 is a kind soul, thank you again for running the BR calls. We got this :smile:

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think you made a good, and strong choice. I hope things go well for you =)

I want to give some feedback and am not criticising anyone for choosing to postpone, after all, a good general must know when to retreat:
    Now that the retake limit has been taken away, I think we should be more open to taking more actual tests, if for no further reason than to get experience, and actually perhaps help reduce your stress. For example, the first time I took it, I was so stressed out that I couldn't sleep the night before and woke up with a fever; the second time I took it, I slept 8 hours, but woke up occasionally due to nervousness; now, I feel like I can truly treat the real test as if it's any other practice test. I attribute this change heavily to my repeated experience of the real test. So don't be too afraid to take the test, unless you 100% know that you can do much better by not taking it.
    Also, consider the application cycle. Although I hear this year is a weird year, and that early applications aren't as valuable this year, because more than ever before, people put off acceptances to reapply, by applying later, you will be competing with other people like you, who are retaking because they think they can do better. So the relative advantage of postponing isn't that advantageous, unless you have some sort of miraculous breakthrough, or can postpone for a year.
    On another note, this is purely my opinion, I believe LSAT isn't like other standardized test, like the SAT, for which the admissions care more about the average than the trend or highest score. I think the law schools admissions people understand that the LSAT isn't suppose to be a one-time-and-you're-done style of test, and that it may actually help you to have a upwards trend with your past LSATs. This is especially the case if you're like me and have a personal narrative centered around persistence and second chance.

Just my two cents.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@AshleighK said:
    You're amazing! It takes guts and you did it twice. You've got this! What exam are you looking at now?

Haha thanks! I'm looking at September! While I don't think I'm at my full potential yet, I'm far more comfortable with the test than I was before. These next two weeks are all about getting me as close to my target as possible but I won't sweat it if I fall just a little short. I've already seen a 17 point increase from my diagnostic so the momentum I've build up is enough to push me no matter what happens.

839 karma

Wow that's awesome! You can do it, you have already improved a ton just have two more weeks to push through. Good luck. @"Pride Only Hurts"

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@AshleighK burnout crew! Could be worse, you could've pushed for sept feeling burnt out only to be even more burnt out in November...

786 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    I think you made a good, and strong choice. I hope things go well for you =)

I want to give some feedback and am not criticising anyone for choosing to postpone, after all, a good general must know when to retreat:
    Now that the retake limit has been taken away, I think we should be more open to taking more actual tests, if for no further reason than to get experience, and actually perhaps help reduce your stress. For example, the first time I took it, I was so stressed out that I couldn't sleep the night before and woke up with a fever; the second time I took it, I slept 8 hours, but woke up occasionally due to nervousness; now, I feel like I can truly treat the real test as if it's any other practice test. I attribute this change heavily to my repeated experience of the real test. So don't be too afraid to take the test, unless you 100% know that you can do much better by not taking it.
    Also, consider the application cycle. Although I hear this year is a weird year, and that early applications aren't as valuable this year, because more than ever before, people put off acceptances to reapply, by applying later, you will be competing with other people like you, who are retaking because they think they can do better. So the relative advantage of postponing isn't that advantageous, unless you have some sort of miraculous breakthrough, or can postpone for a year.
    On another note, this is purely my opinion, I believe LSAT isn't like other standardized test, like the SAT, for which the admissions care more about the average than the trend or highest score. I think the law schools admissions people understand that the LSAT isn't suppose to be a one-time-and-you're-done style of test, and that it may actually help you to have a upwards trend with your past LSATs. This is especially the case if you're like me and have a personal narrative centered around persistence and second chance.

Just my two cents.

This will be my second take so I completely agree with you. One main thing I wish I prepared myself more for is the actual test day nerves and how to handle it. I remember walking into the first test being under-prepared yet so confident. I remember I knew some other people taking the test too so I made the mistake of engaging in conversation with them. I got all riled up then when I opened the test it all hit me at once. I was having an internal anxiety attack and no joke, after the exam ended I cried all night in my room. It was then I realized how my study methods were no where near what it should have been and I took a break from the LSAT for 4 months before deciding to buy the premium course. I'm glad I have that experience to reflect on because now I've learned how to handle things and avoid rookie mistakes. A big part of my decision to delay is to make a big jump on my record and obviously, hit my target score to get into the school I want.

I've definitely realized that about the admissions process and I've bolstered my resume the last few years to help with setting myself apart. The school I want to apply to even has a clause that allows you to submit an app but it won't be reviewed until your LSAT score is sent. It's definitely something the admission team takes into consideration looking at an upward trend for this test and it's also a big part of the application process itself to build a personal profile along with having a good GPA. If I'm honest, one thing I've learned about this whole process is how crucial it is to be well-rounded! One thing for sure is that the LSAT really tests your ability to persevere! I couldn't tell you how many times I've wanted to call it quits and forget this whole dream over a bad score or terrible section.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and I'm wishing you nothing but the best! <3

786 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@AshleighK said:

Haha thanks! I'm looking at September! While I don't think I'm at my full potential yet, I'm far more comfortable with the test than I was before. These next two weeks are all about getting me as close to my target as possible but I won't sweat it if I fall just a little short. I've already seen a 17 point increase from my diagnostic so the momentum I've build up is enough to push me no matter what happens.

Yeah! That's the way to do it. I feel the same, I have to push myself for motivation just to keep myself going. I pushed myself to the maximum to prepare for the September exam even though I knew I would probably end up delaying. I'm still on a break mode but I intend to jump back into it once my mind is cleared up. 17 points is amazing and I wish you nothing but the best for test day! Sending you good vibes <3

786 karma

@keets993 said:
    @AshleighK burnout crew! Could be worse, you could've pushed for sept feeling burnt out only to be even more burnt out in November...

Omg can you imagine? Walking into the test with burn out, getting wrecked, being sad and falling into self-pity, only to circle back to do it all again? I don't think I could've mentally handled it. It's part of why I haven't touched a single thing for a few days. I'm just trying to collect myself and figure everything out before I jump in to avoid this happening again.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited August 2018 454 karma

Knowing when you need to step back and collect yourself is key. If I could make one suggestion to you or any possible delayors, it might be worth going in and writing with the intention of cancelling. You already paid, o might as well. Schools really dont look down on cancels much and it can be a good learning experience - you get to feel out exactly what test day is like, and write an entire preptest under strictest timed conditions. It could increase your confidence and reduce anxiety for November!

786 karma

@"Sam Tyler" said:
    Knowing when you need to step back and collect yourself is key. If I could make one suggestion to you or any possible delayors, it might be worth going in and writing with the intention of cancelling. You already paid, o might as well. Schools really dont look down on cancels much and it can be a good learning experience - you get to feel out exactly what test day is like, and write an entire preptest under strictest timed conditions. It could increase your confidence and reduce anxiety for November!

Yeah I was thinking of it at first too for that exact reason but I've been experiencing some serious burn out and I didn't think it was wise of me to keep pushing myself. I literally couldn't sleep at night because I was so anxious. This would be my second time so it's not like I'm going into the November exam cold you know?

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I'm happy that you're going to take the time for yourself to resettle your mind. But let me ask you these questions @AshleighK :

1.) Why do you want to go to law school?
    2.) Would you be ok being a professional technical writer?
    3.) Would you be ok saying goodbye to weekends and life?
    4.) Why do you place yourself under so much pressure when taking the test?
    5.) What are your goals (don't tell us, internalize it)?
    6.) What is your strategy for achieving these goals?
    7.) If you're serious about November, will you join the November BR Group?

You keep pushing yourself to do more, but I don't think I've ever asked you what your reasons are.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@AshleighK said:

I've definitely realized that about the admissions process and I've bolstered my resume the last few years to help with setting myself apart. The school I want to apply to even has a clause that allows you to submit an app but it won't be reviewed until your LSAT score is sent. It's definitely something the admission team takes into consideration looking at an upward trend for this test and it's also a big part of the application process itself to build a personal profile along with having a good GPA. If I'm honest, one thing I've learned about this whole process is how crucial it is to be well-rounded! One thing for sure is that the LSAT really tests your ability to persevere! I couldn't tell you how many times I've wanted to call it quits and forget this whole dream over a bad score or terrible section.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and I'm wishing you nothing but the best! <3

Ah, I see. Good to hear that you've done the actual test once already. I hope you definitely persevere and improve. Hit me up if you ever want to talk lsat.

• LSATSurvivorLSATSurvivor Alum Member
    228 karma

In the same boat as you. Take it when you're ready. Keep fighting!

• HappyCamperHappyCamper Member
    9 karma

I saw this link and it was just what I needed to read. Working full time and trying to study I thought it would be a breeze to pick up as I have taken a course before. But, unexpected life and travel events kept happening and I was feeling so disappointed with how I have progressed on the projected study schedule. It's refreshing to know other people are practicing self care and taking the extra time. It can be intimidating when I start thinking about the single moms who work full time and still studied hours everyday, or the people who got to take a year off just to study. Anyways, thanks for posting this :)

786 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:
    I'm happy that you're going to take the time for yourself to resettle your mind. But let me ask you these questions @AshleighK :

1.) Why do you want to go to law school?
    2.) Would you be ok being a professional technical writer?
    3.) Would you be ok saying goodbye to weekends and life?
    4.) Why do you place yourself under so much pressure when taking the test?
    5.) What are your goals (don't tell us, internalize it)?
    6.) What is your strategy for achieving these goals?
    7.) If you're serious about November, will you join the November BR Group?

You keep pushing yourself to do more, but I don't think I've ever asked you what your reasons are.

Ahh I'm so glad you asked!
    1. My life has given me the privilege to live in three different countries and I've instilled in me a sense of appreciation for the very fact I'm alive. This is really personal and I don't tell many people this but since you asked the question, I'll be open and share with the 7Sage world. I had a 10% chance of living when I was two years old, I had a ruptured appendix and at the time I was living in Jamaica (my dad is from there). I explicitly remember sitting in the hospital room and staying there for a few days not having a clue about what was going on with IVs hooked to me and nurses surrounding me. The next thing I remember I was at a well known children's hospital in Miami (where I was originally from). The reason I mentioned this is because it plays a huge role in why I want to be a lawyer. I realized how inequality and social difference existed in the world just from that experience - imagine being shifted from a hospital in the place where you live to another better funded one. I recognized my privilege from a young age where I had the resources and ability to move freely into two different countries. I always questioned my existence, what happened if I couldn't do that? I'd be dead. Imagine how many people in the world experience medical issues and can't access quality health care services? Fast forward, I began to engage in work experiences that helped disadvantaged individuals and I've focused a lot of my work in undergrad for individuals labeled as "disabled". My brother is Deaf so I've become immersed in the Deaf community and I worked with a student who had CP. I became so intrigued observing the interlocking forms of marginalization and I pursued a double major in International Development and Legal Studies. I'm so passionate about becoming an International lawyer to advocate for people who don't have an active voice and I want to use my experience of living in the US, Canada, and Jamaica to understand how different countries approach, manage, and respond to inequality. Sorry this is so long and personal but I felt like this could give you insight into my world!
    2. I would, I've actually begun a back up plan to enter the world of research if all else fails. It's just a back up plan because who knows, maybe I take some opportunities and end up deviating for a bit or trying things out. I actually just applied to the Rhodes scholarship and I'm working on a FullBright scholarship to do some work studying colonialism in Jamaica at the Australian National University (my thesis advisor and former prof did some work there)!
    3. Haaa this has been my life since I started the LSAT journey so yes.
    4. I have a huge fear of failure. My mind is always plotting my next move because I always want to have a plan and I'm so scared if my plans don't work out. I embrace change but I'm also so set on my goals that I try to avoid deviating from it by any means necessary
    6. I'm taking the next few days to restructure my study plan to incorporate my full time studies, part time work, and clubs! I start school on the 6th so it's just a process rn. As of now, I've decided on upgrading to Ultimate + and continuing to work my tutor!
    7. Psh, already joined ;)

786 karma

@LSATSurvivor said:

I've seen your comments around and I absolutely loved them! I always laughed at your "lol hey me, you got this wrong again idiot" comments. I have those with myself all the time! We got this <3

786 karma

@HappyCamper said:
    I saw this link and it was just what I needed to read. Working full time and trying to study I thought it would be a breeze to pick up as I have taken a course before. But, unexpected life and travel events kept happening and I was feeling so disappointed with how I have progressed on the projected study schedule. It's refreshing to know other people are practicing self care and taking the extra time. It can be intimidating when I start thinking about the single moms who work full time and still studied hours everyday, or the people who got to take a year off just to study. Anyways, thanks for posting this :)

You're amazing! We're all in this together, it's always hard to not compare yourself to others or avoid from falling into the success blueprint that society has embedded in us. But we'll get there one way or another - it's better to take your time and give it your all than rush into things and half ass it you know?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Jumping in here late, but it sounds like you made a solid decision to push back. I pushed my LSAT back twice before sitting for it last December. And then I ended up withdrawing one more time (I applied last cycle and there were some issues with getting my apps read while having a pending LSAT date) before sitting in June again. Then I registered for this September and decided too to push back to November.

I do want to say though, some of the opinions in this thread re: taking the LSAT multiple times goes directly against what most admissions professionals advise. Yes, the takes are unlimited now. And no, most schools won't average your scores.

However, there are some things to consider. Schools will definitely see all of your LSAT scores, and they may make individual judgements based on all of them, even if for official purposes they only consider your highest score. Also, having 6 takes with little to no improvements may give the air of bad judgement. Why keep taking a test if you keep getting the same score? It could say persistence, but it could also say... this person is just not getting it.

It's always going to be the best plan to take the LSAT once and totally crush it. Obviously, that's not what happens for most folks. We have very little data on how adcoms view lots of takes since that has only been applicable for a little over a year. But, the opinions of most professional admission advisors is that lots of takes is a negative that you will likely need to explain.

For reference, here's a blog post from Spivey talking about the number of takes: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/how-many-test-takes-is-too-many-for-law-school/

(The Spivey blog is a gem and has lots of good info, fyi!)

786 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Jumping in here late, but it sounds like you made a solid decision to push back. I pushed my LSAT back twice before sitting for it last December. And then I ended up withdrawing one more time (I applied last cycle and there were some issues with getting my apps read while having a pending LSAT date) before sitting in June again. Then I registered for this September and decided too to push back to November.

I do want to say though, some of the opinions in this thread re: taking the LSAT multiple times goes directly against what most admissions professionals advise. Yes, the takes are unlimited now. And no, most schools won't average your scores.

However, there are some things to consider. Schools will definitely see all of your LSAT scores, and they may make individual judgements based on all of them, even if for official purposes they only consider your highest score. Also, having 6 takes with little to no improvements may give the air of bad judgement. Why keep taking a test if you keep getting the same score? It could say persistence, but it could also say... this person is just not getting it.

It's always going to be the best plan to take the LSAT once and totally crush it. Obviously, that's not what happens for most folks. We have very little data on how adcoms view lots of takes since that has only been applicable for a little over a year. But, the opinions of most professional admission advisors is that lots of takes is a negative that you will likely need to explain.

For reference, here's a blog post from Spivey talking about the number of takes: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/how-many-test-takes-is-too-many-for-law-school/

(The Spivey blog is a gem and has lots of good info, fyi!)

Yeah it's part of why I decided to withdraw from September because I was afraid I would be taking a chance if I had no improvements. For example, what if in September I got score x and because of burn out or whatever I got the same some in November. I'd have to repeat the LSAT study process AGAIN and have 4 takes. I'd rather sit out and be 100% confident I'd do significantly better from the last test I took and if life works out, it would be my last test.

Thankfully schools tend to take your highest score! There's also the option of writing your special circumstances etc but I wanted to save the hassle and just cut my losses by withdrawing. I feel so much better about my decision! Thanks for the link btw :)

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

Hello, I guess what's keeping me back from delaying (or a future retake) is I don't know what I will do differently. I feel like I've tried everything (tutoring, in person course, 7sage) and I'm still not where I want the be. Does anybody have advice on what they did differently for a retake or delay that helped?

786 karma

@Brazil020511 said:
    Hello, I guess what's keeping me back from delaying (or a future retake) is I don't know what I will do differently. I feel like I've tried everything (tutoring, in person course, 7sage) and I'm still not where I want the be. Does anybody have advice on what they did differently for a retake or delay that helped?

Honestly, what helped me this time around was drilling and revisiting the CC. I've also started working with a tutor to hone in on my weaknesses but maybe the best thing for you is taking the time to assess what's going on. Is it a section? Is it question types? Are you getting worked up during timed conditions? How's your BR scores?

• LSATSurvivorLSATSurvivor Alum Member
    228 karma

@AshleighK said:

@LSATSurvivor said:

I've seen your comments around and I absolutely loved them! I always laughed at your "lol hey me, you got this wrong again idiot" comments. I have those with myself all the time! We got this <3

Hahahaha I thought no one read those comments. I'll keep making more comments for the questions I got wrong. lol, thanks for making my day.
    Btw sorry for the late reply!

786 karma

@LSATSurvivor said:

@AshleighK said:

@LSATSurvivor said:

Hahahaha I thought no one read those comments. I'll keep making more comments for the questions I got wrong. lol, thanks for making my day.
    Btw sorry for the late reply!

Omg yes they're so funny lol! And glad I could brighten your day!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I did the same thing-- twice! I was originally scheduled for February but I got a really bad concussion after Thanksgiving (hit my head 3 times) and couldn't start studying again until May. I forgot pretty much everything and restarted the CC. I was scheduled to test in September, but just withdrew. Since August 3rd, I have had a migraine every day. That being said, I've lost a lot of study time. However, I'm even questioning whether or not I should even test in November. I'm just starting to see how much potential I have if I continue to study. It may be worth it to delay... not sure yet!

786 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I did the same thing-- twice! I was originally scheduled for February but I got a really bad concussion after Thanksgiving (hit my head 3 times) and couldn't start studying again until May. I forgot pretty much everything and restarted the CC. I was scheduled to test in September, but just withdrew. Since August 3rd, I have had a migraine every day. That being said, I've lost a lot of study time. However, I'm even questioning whether or not I should even test in November. I'm just starting to see how much potential I have if I continue to study. It may be worth it to delay... not sure yet!

It's okay girl. I remember you were also going through some stuff and you had issues sleeping like me. I withdrew officially a few days ago and I just moved back to Waterloo for my last year of uni so I've just had a hectic last week full of emotions. I'm glad I withdrew but it just bummed me out since I prepped so hard this summer but I think it's a good decision we both made. I'm sure we're gonna kill it! I can feel my BR going up and learning more so I'm confident I'll do better in November than I would have tomorrow. I'll see you on the BR November group? <3

• XochitlMXochitlM Alum Member
    70 karma

Thank you for your candor and sharing your story with us. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your decision to postpone, it has helped me with my decision as well. I've been a fairly silent 7Sager, but am realizing that my silence is not helping myself nor anyone else. As for you wanting to go to law school right after undergrad, I felt that way too. In fact I had totally given up on the idea of law school because I felt that my undergrad GPA was too low (3.49). It wasn't until my third year of teaching (I did Teach For America and have stayed in the classroom since my commitment) that one of my TFA friends decided to apply to law school with the same undergrad GPA as myself and inspired me to believe it wasn't too late. She is now a 2L at Columbia and is killing it. She is on the moot court team, worked for a Supreme Court of California judge this summer and is interviewing at top law firms in San Francisco. All of this is to say, she firmly believes that her confidence in law school is a result of her working post-undergrad and not going straight into law school. One thing is being ready for the LSAT and another is being ready for law school. Your law school journey will happen when you are ready for it. :)

• JaejaebinxJaejaebinx Alum Member
    104 karma

Same, girl, same.

786 karma

@XochitlM said:
    Thank you for your candor and sharing your story with us. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your decision to postpone, it has helped me with my decision as well. I've been a fairly silent 7Sager, but am realizing that my silence is not helping myself nor anyone else. As for you wanting to go to law school right after undergrad, I felt that way too. In fact I had totally given up on the idea of law school because I felt that my undergrad GPA was too low (3.49). It wasn't until my third year of teaching (I did Teach For America and have stayed in the classroom since my commitment) that one of my TFA friends decided to apply to law school with the same undergrad GPA as myself and inspired me to believe it wasn't too late. She is now a 2L at Columbia and is killing it. She is on the moot court team, worked for a Supreme Court of California judge this summer and is interviewing at top law firms in San Francisco. All of this is to say, she firmly believes that her confidence in law school is a result of her working post-undergrad and not going straight into law school. One thing is being ready for the LSAT and another is being ready for law school. Your law school journey will happen when you are ready for it. :)

Yes! I've become open to not going straight into law school as well. It took some time for me to allow myself to understand that there is no clear cut plan to life. I've started to apply for masters with attached scholarships (entirely funded) as a back up plan. I'm set on November but if it doesn't happen for Fall 2019 it'll happen some other time. Thank you for sharing this story <3

786 karma

@Jaejaebinx said:
    Same, girl, same.

We got this! Are you looking at November?

• JaejaebinxJaejaebinx Alum Member
    104 karma

@AshleighK We got this!! I am, but I haven't registered yet. Have you? I'm not sure if a lot of test centers are already full, or if a lot of them didn't host a sitting this time, but most of the usually available centers in my area are now unavailable. :(

786 karma

@Jaejaebinx said:
    @AshleighK We got this!! I am, but I haven't registered yet. Have you? I'm not sure if a lot of test centers are already full, or if a lot of them didn't host a sitting this time, but most of the usually available centers in my area are now unavailable. :(

No LOL. I saw the test center around me is open but I'm thinking to do it soon.