Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you update your score once you start applying?

Hello
So let's say I take September and use that score to apply to schools.If I decide to take November and hopefully score higher, can I use those test scores even though I sent and completed applications?
Thanks

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Depends on the school. Depends on how far your application gets. Many schools will let you freeze the evaluation of your application.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, definitely. Any school that you have applied to will automatically receive any new score.

One thing to keep in mind though is applying and having a pending LSAT. Many schools will hold your application and not review it until all scores are reported. Meaning, if you register for November, they may hold your application as incomplete until that November score is received. However, if you want to apply with your earlier score, you can email admissions and ask them to review your application now with your first score. Most will say that's fine, mark as complete, and proceed to review. They'll still receive your new score whenever it's ready though.

The thing to be aware of is that some schools have policies that they will not review any application if you have a pending LSAT score. USC told me that that was their policy. The only way to complete my application was either to wait for that score or withdraw from it. I was registered for the February test hoping to use it for scholarship negotiations but didn't want my app held that long, so I ended up withdrawing for that LSAT.

So all that said, if you are planning on doing that, it would probably be advisable to contact the schools you want to apply to and ask them their policy on that.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

@"Leah M B" You are seriously so helpful.
    Thank you!

Great question/post @Brazil020511

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

Thanks @"Leah M B" ! That was beyond perfect

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    The thing to be aware of is that some schools have policies that they will not review any application if you have a pending LSAT score. USC told me that that was their policy. The only way to complete my application was either to wait for that score or withdraw from it. I was registered for the February test hoping to use it for scholarship negotiations but didn't want my app held that long, so I ended up withdrawing for that LSAT.

Hey @"Leah M B",

Thanks for the information! So they are going to hold apps with pending scores even if applicants ask them not to..... :worried: Are there other schools which said the same thing?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@akistotle Yep, that's what USC told me. They will not review an application if you have a pending LSAT, no exceptions. I had to either wait until my score was received for them to review my app or withdraw from the LSAT. That's the only school that wouldn't budge at all for me. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others, but the rest were all fine with marking my app as completed and reviewing.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    @akistotle Yep, that's what USC told me. They will not review an application if you have a pending LSAT, no exceptions. I had to either wait until my score was received for them to review my app or withdraw from the LSAT. That's the only school that wouldn't budge at all for me. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others, but the rest were all fine with marking my app as completed and reviewing.

Thanks! I hope USC is the only exception....