Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Danaher's "Parable of the Plank"

BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
edited August 2018 in Sage Advice 8689 karma

This short interview reminded me of something many people discuss in the LSAT community: the difference between our practice and test day. Mr. Danaher is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu coach at Renzo Gracie's gym in Manhattan. In the past few years he has produced a crop of students that have transformed several aspects of the jiu jitsu game. One of his students won ADCC Gold in 2017 (the most prestigious no-gi tournament in the world) and something only ~8 American males have ever been able to do.

In the video, Mr. Danaher says we should look at test day (he talks about grappling competition day) much the same as we look at practice. That, if all along we have been practicing the way we should be, test day is essentially another practice. I've heard this before in the LSAT community: that had we been practicing properly, test day is basically another PT! To all those taking the September exam fresh or as retake, just remember: look at it like just another practice.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Dude. I literally watched this 2 days ago and thought the same thing. Super relevant to approaching test day. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I'm starting BJJ in a Renzo gym next week.

• musumecibjjmusumecibjj Alum Member
    94 karma

Im a black belt in Jiu Jitsu :)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2018 8689 karma

@musumecibjj wait wait wait....Mikey?? Or Tammy?

• musumecibjjmusumecibjj Alum Member
    94 karma

Mikey!! Studying to take the LSAT!!!

• manchildmanchild Member
    45 karma

Honestly I have to admit, the fact that Renzo and Danacher are in NYC had something to do with my decision to focus on NYC law schools... really cool to see this on the discussion board!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

love this! thanks for the post Dave :)

• nmmizokaminmmizokami Alum Member
    128 karma

Great video. Thanks for sharing!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

@BinghamtonDave Great video, love the parable!

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Thanks for the video, @BinghamtonDave ! Well worth the watch. :smile:

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

The LSAT is totally like game day after many practices! I used to stress so bad before taking proctored PTs but on game day I made sure to get really pumped bc I was excited to finally get to kick some ass! We all stress so much over this and we really shouldn’t bc we spend so much time getting prepared and then we just get a day to formally show off our skills and that’s awesome!

• MimsquadMimsquad Member
    35 karma

LOVED THIS! Thank you. I can't stop screaming in my head "THE PLANK IS THE SAME!" I was feeling a little freaked out this morning (after feeling super zen all weekend) and this helped me so much. Making it my mantra to see me through. Thanks, @BinghamtonDave

• This would be an amazing additional to the beginning of the core curriculum!

• renatozapatagarciarenatozapatagarcia Alum Member
    edited September 2018 41 karma

The 7Sage Jedis!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Brilliant! Should listen to this the morning of test day.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I really liked this video!! Thank you for sharing

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

This is fantastic, and I totally agree, I want to go into the exam feeling like I'm about to take another PT.
    Thanks for sharing this, really glad I saw this before tomorrow's test.