Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Delay or not delay?

Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member

Like others I am trying to decide whether to take September (see score and make a decision on retaking or not) or just go for November completely.

Goal: min 170
Highest PT: 165
AVG on last 5 PTs: 158
Studied for about a year and half now (on and off)
Lately, I've started a new job and have pushed myself so hard these last six months that by August I was burnt out. I practiced just not productively reviewing or reviewing the next day after.

Any idea if I should take it solely November or take it September (then decide)?

What to do?
  1. What to do?19 votes
    1. November only
    2. September and then decide


  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

    If your goal is minimum 170, you're nowhere near it at the moment. I don't think it's worth taking an LSAT until you're at the very least regularly PTing within a few points of your goal. Unless you have a history of significant test anxiety, I also personally don't think it's worth it to have a much lower score than you need on record just for the practice of it. It's a test. It's nothing that crazy. It looks much better to only take the test once you are truly prepared for it.

  • MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

    Yeah, if you’ve never hit your goal score and your average is 12 points lower, taking the test is really not a good idea. It’s a waste of your money and time, and it goes on your permanent record

  • eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

    Delay is always the answer.

  • _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

    Take September if you are comfortable scoring a 155.

  • keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

    If your average on last 5 PTs is 158 and your highest score is 5 points away from the lower end of your goal score then delay. Just because there's no longer a limit on amount of tests allowed to be taken doesn't mean you should waste a take and get a lower score than the one you want.

  • Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

    I’d give it another month; you should definitely delay. But also keep in mind that you can’t take forever and some point there’s diminishing returns. The LSAT is a major component of the application and it’s important to alott enough time do well on it. But at the same time it’s not the only aspect of your law school application and you should not let it uneccessarily prolong your application. Anything more than. 2 years I would say would yield diminishing. So I’m a student at GW and this girl in my one of my legal writing classes was adamant about going to law school right after undergraduate. She began studying for the exam at the end of her junior year with a private tutor and took the test after four months. She didn’t do very well, scored below 160, but still got into Georgetown Law School. Another girl, a tutor from YLS I met who gave me a free session and later became my friend, took two years to reach her peak on the LSAT. She started studying for the test her sophomore year and ended up scoring a 179 her senior year. All be told, I wouldn’t take anymore than 2 years to study for the test. Even if a 170 doesn’t happen still apply because you never know. For example, I’ve heard a lot people say online with a 165 you’ll have a hard time getting into a t14. That’s not necessarily true as my own experience seeing real people get into T14’s with less then 165 confirms seeing people who were even nonurm get into those sort of schools.

  • Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

    Thanks everyone! I think I have decided to delay. @"surfy surf" I am definitely not comfortable scoring a 155 ? So ..... delay has it is

Sign In or Register to comment.