(deleted)

kimw2015kimw2015 Member
edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 81 karma

deleted

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Yeah, UVA, Northwestern, and Penn seem particularly splitter friendly.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1694 karma

It's a sage! Woot! You got it, bud. Why even worry? Just do your research on what you want to learn, apply, and see how it goes. No point wondering what the admissions people think. You've already done all you can do, so what's the point in senseless imaginations? So what if they reject you, or accept you. What more could you have done? As Nike says, just do it.

As for whether you have a shot. You already know you have a shot. 25% chance is a really good chance my friend. Literally means that if you apply to four of those schools, you will likely get into one of them... Since there's about 14 of them, maybe you'll get into 3.5? Hahaha

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Yes.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

"Splitters" have a shot for sure. The difficult part is predicting that shot with a high degree of confidence. There are some schools that people will say things with confidence about your application given the numbers stated above: it is pretty certain you will get into WUSTL, and it is pretty certain you will get dinged at Yale. Note here that I'm talking T20 because I think splitters shouldn't ignore T20 schools along with T14 schools. As for the other schools, some are more likely than others: Georgetown and Northwestern are probably more likely than Berkeley and Chicago, at least from what I have read here and there. Splitters are difficult to predict, but keep us posted with how your cycle goes. I'm a ~3.4/168 with a November retake and a few classes this semester to boost me. It's going to be an interesting cycle for me for sure, not quite sure where I will end up, but God willing, this time next year I will be a law student! Cast a wide net my friend!

David

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

171/2.93 cGPA and about to start my second week at Northwestern. You absolutely have a chance. Make sure you write a strong PS and addenda to help bolster your application, and apply to as many schools as you possibly can!

Good luck!

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

If you're below a 3.0 for G-Town and above a 170 score, you have a very low shot in getting into G-Town, let alone with any money. Wash U will send you an admit and a Brinks truck to your home. Washington & Lee also sends a truck to your home too.

So for a T-14 is certainly is possible, but how much do you want to pay for law school even though the prestige may not give you the outcome you desire.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@Rtwrtw8
    Don't worry, hahahaha. You're not a downer, though you may have missed my sarcasm.

@LSATcantwin said:
    171/2.93 cGPA and about to start my second week at Northwestern. You absolutely have a chance. Make sure you write a strong PS and addenda to help bolster your application, and apply to as many schools as you possibly can!

Good luck!

Oh, did you ever make a post about your addenda? Would be curious to hear what you did for them.

990 karma

@Rtwrtw8 said:

@"Adam Hawks" I am assuming you're using a sub-3.0 GPA as an example since OP's GPA is well above a 3.0? Either way, I'm curious where you're getting this prediction. I think a 172 would make an applicant to G-town competitive, even despite a 2.8 GPA for example, and MyLSN puts it at a 83% for G-town with these numbers.

Is that his degree GPA or his LSAC calculated GPA? If it is a 3.2, he has a shot. Will he get money? I mean either way, getting into a T-14 increases your opportunities for a solid job outcome, but it is far from guaranteed. Furthermore, does the OP know what a lawyer does, how big G-Town is with regards to their class size and what people say about their Career Services. If not, to quote Nathan Fox, it's just "statsturbation."

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Does Law School Numbers suggest things that are similar as the LSAC calculator for this, or are there some variations? I'm not an expert, but I think you have a pretty good chance given this very high score. At the same time, you might want to add a few more schools to your list. I'm saying this because the T-14s get such a large number of applications.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@lsatplaylist There are some pretty noticeable variations from the LSAC calculator and Law School Numbers (LSN) chances. One big issue I've noticed from the LSAC calculator and even the 7sage predictor after playing around with the numbers is that those tools don't account for yield protection and acceptance probability goes up in a linear fashion as your stats go up based on how far you are from the respective school's medians. The LSN calculator accounts for yield protection and provides scholarship numbers but the sample size is obviously a limiting factor. Though I can't understand why the 7sage predictor would have such a different result than LSN considering that the 7sage predictor is pulling the data from LSN. Perhaps some other users or @akistotle can chime in with some of their perspectives?

Definitely agree on the second point though that OP should add in a few T20 schools in case.

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

Thanks, all! I'm definitely applying outside the T-14 as well.

81 karma

@Rtwrtw8 said:
    @"Adam Hawks" I'm not sure what your comment is specifically referring to. OP was merely asking what his chances at T14 were - not job prospects or paying full sticker.

And yes, the first line of OP states that his LSAC gpa is a 3.2. With a 172, I'd think he'd be relatively competitive for Georgetown.

her/she* :P

990 karma

@Rtwrtw8 said:
    @"Adam Hawks" I'm not sure what your comment is specifically referring to. OP was merely asking what his chances at T14 were - not job prospects or paying full sticker.

And yes, the first line of OP states that his LSAC gpa is a 3.2. With a 172, I'd think he'd be relatively competitive for Georgetown.

So...3.2 with a 172 on MyLSN. Only 1 person had those same numbers and they were wait-listed. I expanded the range to be between 3.2 and 3.3 with the same LSAT score. It had 5 admits and 9 wait-lists and no scholarship awards. I mean, it's statsturbation plain and simple. If you want to really know, send some feelers out to admissions consultants or call up G-Town. I promise they will be interested in you if you talk to them.

@kimw2015 I don't know if your chances for G-Town are on solid ground. If you have a killer statement then you have a good chance. Your softs will enhance your story. But @BinghamtonDave is right that it is not certain, but you have a better chance than say Yale or Cornell, which is minuscule.

990 karma

@Rtwrtw8 Then I stand corrected. @kimw2015 If you really want to go to G-Town, then go for it. Please know what you are getting in to. With your numbers you can get a sizable scholarship at a school with much smaller class sizes. I do wish you the best.

81 karma

@"Adam Hawks" thank you! I'm applying all over the place and there are a lot of schools outside the T-20 that I'd be happy at. We shall see! Appreciate all the comments and perspective.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

I think it's important to recognize that "soft" admission factors can be the differences between being rejected vs waitlisted, waitlisted vs accepted, scholarship vs no scholarship, etc. If you were the President of your college's debate team or had 10 years of paralegal experience, those kinds of things would help you out. I say that to emphasize that when you look at the admissions stats for other people's GPAs/LSAT scores, you really have to look at the overall picture. What if one person's GPA was a 1.8 his/her first year, but got 3.5s every year after that? These things matter. You could have something in your personal statement or resume that admissions committees really like! Anyway, don't waste your energy comparing yourself to other people when you don't know the entire story.