Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last minute cancel?

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to take Saturday's LSAT. My score is 150 despite my best attempts. Half of me wants to just take it just not to give up and use it as "practice." What do you think? I'm trying to see the benefit in taking other than the experience. I hate to cancel because it feels like I'm giving up, but I know I'm not ready.

Doth tell me 7Sagers, do I Mad Max this mofo?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you know you're not ready, and 150 is far off from your goal, then I'd say postpone. I don't think there's any benefit other than experience, which can be simulated pretty easily. The negative is having a lower than desired score on your record. It's not giving up, because you're still going to take it when you're ready!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you're not where you want to be, just withdraw. it's not worth it to have a lower score on your record.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited September 2018 6045 karma

Agreed, just because it's unlimited takes doesn't mean you should take when you're not ready. Unless you're someone who has a history of severe, crippling test anxiety then I don't know how useful it would be for you to take it as practice. So if that 150 is not something you'd be satisfied with as an official score then don't take. I mean if low 150s is your goal then maybe the test could be in your favour.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

depends on your goal. If you're within 3 points of your target, just take it. Highest score is what matters.

If you're 10 points from your target, just withdraw.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Withdraw, withdraw, withdraw. There is no point in having a score you don't want in your file. I made this mistake - HUGE mistake and now I have this hideous score in my file. It just makes you feel worse than you actually are and really affects you.

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

Unless I am wrong, don't most schools just look at the highest anyway ? Unless you are desiring to attend a T-14ish school I would think most schools would only look at your highest. I have a friend who scored a 154, then six months later scored a 167. None of the school they applied to cared about the 154, yet none of those schools applied to were in the Top 14. Just my two cents ! Good luck either way :)

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    edited September 2018 403 karma

As much as I'd like to recommend that you mad max that mofo, I think you should probably postpone. Maybe redirect your mad max energy into studying. I've never seen mad max, but I bet he'd want see you do your best.

Alternatively, IDK what your current test taking strategy is, but if you are racing trying to complete every section, it might be more beneficial to try and just get the first 15 right on each section, then guessing on the rest. 15x4 is 60, which would get you a 153 on pt 84, + 20% chance of guesses being correct adds another 8 (.2x40 guesses), so 68 correct which is a 157. But I'm not sure if this would coincide with the mad max philosophy. Either way you need to work on your fundamentals, and identify bad habits.

Best of luck!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

If you're not scoring within you're range, then don't take it. I think it would be best for you to know that when you're taking the LSAT you're fully prepared. You might be losing money, but that is minor compared to having a score you won't be proud of.

• JaejaebinxJaejaebinx Alum Member
    104 karma

I just want you to know that I'm in the same boat as you, and that no matter what we decide, we'll persevere somehow (even if it's not this Saturday) :smile:

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

@AngusMcGillis You should see Mad Max. But I do like your strategy. Thank you.

Ya, I'm gonna cancel. I don't want to burn a take feeling wobbly about it. Thank you everyone.

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited September 2018 454 karma

I think either postponing or writing with a cancel are both good options. It depends what you text anxiety is and how much a dry run would help you when you do actually go ahead and write. If your comfortable in test situations then just postpone

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Glad you're cancelling. There's nothing good that can come from seeing a score you're not satisfied with on your record. I actually withdrew from September, so I'm right there with you! Also, I have a group message going for people who are interested in Skype study sessions (sometimes it's just two or three of us at a time). Lmk if you are interested in joining!