Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to handle nature calls during tests?

eLSATurdayGiganteeLSATurdayGigante Alum Member
edited September 2018 in September 2018 LSAT 31 karma

Well this is a bit embarrassing, how do you handle nature calls during tests?

I'm scheduled to take the test this Saturday but among stressing out about the test itself, I'm stressing out about my digestive system.

I've tried my best to wake up early this whole week, to try to reset my body but I don't this it's working. I'm scared that during the test I'm going to need to run out to the bathroom for 5-10mins, and not just once. I have digestive issues and can't finish fast like most people. My body does the majority of its functions throughout the morning, coffee or not. (If only the tests were in the afternoons)

I feel that I need more time to get my body to adjust to doing it's business earlier. I can try to hold it, like I've done when can't use a bathroom but I know I'll be thinking about going to the bathroom and not have my mind 100% on my test.

I don't know what to do, my job gave me two weeks (PAID) off to prepare (I work at a law firm). I just don't want them to think it was all in vain because I didn't take the test.

Should I wait till November and withdraw from this Saturday? And continue to wake up earlier and earlier and try to change my morning business? I'm not testing where I want to be, so I'm more inclined to do this.

I've already postponed June's LSAT to September, will withdrawing and registering for November look bad to the schools I apply to?

What do I tell my boss? "I couldn't handle my s**t, so postponed the test. Thanks for the two week paid "vacation."

help

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3279 karma

I have digestive issues and can't finish fast like most people

You should have gotten a testing accommodation.

I'd normally have common sense advice to give, but since you have a medical condition I don't want to exacerbate it. If you have the time, go see or call your GP. Perhaps an antidiarrheal would help you.

Whatever you do, don't withdrew until the last day that you can do so without getting it notated on your account.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

If your digestive issues won't magically resolve themselves before November, then perhaps just take this test regardless. I would also ask about a medical accommodation, as someone else mentioned. But I think that maybe there may be more to this question than just pooping- maybe you're really nervous and looking to delay the test?

I would go into this test head held high, ready to make yourself and your employer proud, and colostomy bag in hand (if necessary).

Just kidding, its a gallon-sized ziplock bag, but the rules did not ever say you cannot poop in it. JS.

• eLSATurdayGiganteeLSATurdayGigante Alum Member
    31 karma

@10000019 said:

Whatever you do, don't withdrew until the last day that you can do so without getting it notated on your account.

Can you please rephrase?

I never thought about the getting an accommodation because I have never thought about my issues as a disability. I've just lived most of my time taking a bit longer than usual in the restroom.

Throughout college, the longest test I had was ~90mins and not in the morning, if so. So I've never been in a situation like this. Since I've been so used to my daily routine, that I forgot about it till now and it's over stressing me.

31 karma

@cqas190517 said:
    But I think that maybe there may be more to this question than just pooping- maybe you're really nervous and looking to delay the test?

Well I am nervous about the test, I really don't feel prepared for it. But that's just my test anxiety, which I feel is going to hurt me regardless of when I take the test.

I've been already in the mindset that I'm taking the test again in November. I just don't know whether it's wise to take the test this Saturday, or withdraw and prepare my body better for November's test.

3279 karma

@eLSATurdayGigante said:

@10000019 said:

Can you please rephrase?

If you start the test and then try to cancel, it shows up as a withdrawal on your record. If you cancel 24 hours before the test, it doesn't show up on your record. If you cancel 7 days before the test, it doesn't show up on your record.

I brought that up so that you don't cancel today. Think about it more.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

Are your digestive issues medically documented? If so, I would postpone the exam and get accommodations. I'm not sure if it's too late for you to get accommodations for November, though.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@10000019 said:

@eLSATurdayGigante said:

@10000019 said:

Can you please rephrase?

If you start the test and then try to cancel, it shows up as a withdrawal on your record. If you cancel 24 hours before the test, it doesn't show up on your record. If you cancel 7 days before the test, it doesn't show up on your record.

I was really confused about this statement, I thought you were saying that schools could see your record of pre-test withdrawal... but reading a couple of times, I figured it out.

Just for clarity for everyone: there's a specific difference between "withdrawal" and "cancel" when it comes to the LSAT. Withdrawal is when you decide in advance to not take a test. You are allowed to withdraw your registration up through the day before the test (I believe the time deadline is midnight eastern, but to be safe I would consider it business hours, like 5pm EST). There is a separate option called a "cancel", which is when you take the test and decide to cancel your score afterward. Beginning the day after your test, for 6 days you are allowed to go online and cancel your score. That means that you will not know what score you received, nor will any schools that you apply to. Technically, there's a third option which is no-showing it, and that is recorded as an "absent" and will also be on your record that schools will see. I'd advise against that one.

Pre-test registration withdrawals are not disclosed to schools, they are not reflected in your record at all. Score cancellations, however, are. Schools won't know your score, but they will see that you cancelled it.

I think in this situation, since you aren't eligible to receive a refund anyway, you should just try to relax and take the test. If you end up needing to use the bathroom and it's going to significantly affect your score, go online and cancel afterward.

If you have a diagnosed condition, I would highly recommend getting accommodations. There are a lot of different options for accommodations... I'm not sure if unlimited bathroom breaks would be one, but I wouldn't be surprised. You would likely be able to submit a doctor's letter and request to be able to use the bathroom and have the clock stopped for that time. Even without a specifically diagnosed condition, I would think that your doctor would be able to talk it over with you and write up a note.

I'm sure since you're used to living with it, you've tried other things. But if there's anything that might help... cutting out dairy, any other triggers, any medication (pepto, Immodium, etc) that could help, I might try that as a hail mary for this one and take the test. Just cancel your score if you end up not being able to make it work. And then get accommodations for the November test. The accommodations deadline for the November test is October 8, so you'd need to make sure to get on it right away in order to allow enough time for a doctor to write you a letter and get it submitted.

However you decide to handle it... good luck!!

3279 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@10000019 said:

@eLSATurdayGigante said:

@10000019 said:

Can you please rephrase?

I was really confused about this statement, I thought you were saying that schools could see your record of pre-test withdrawal... but reading a couple of times, I figured it out.

Just for clarity for everyone: there's a specific difference between "withdrawal" and "cancel" when it comes to the LSAT. Withdrawal is when you decide in advance to not take a test. You are allowed to withdraw your registration up through the day before the test (I believe the time deadline is midnight eastern, but to be safe I would consider it business hours, like 5pm EST). There is a separate option called a "cancel", which is when you take the test and decide to cancel your score afterward. Beginning the day after your test, for 6 days you are allowed to go online and cancel your score. That means that you will not know what score you received, nor will any schools that you apply to. Technically, there's a third option which is no-showing it, and that is recorded as an "absent" and will also be on your record that schools will see. I'd advise against that one.

Yeah that's right. I just wanted to make it clear that there is no benefit from withdrawing really earlier. But you need to be aware of the deadline to withdraw. You can't withdraw the morning of the test.

After the Test Date Change and LSAT Registration Refunds deadlines have passed, you will be able to withdraw your registration on the LSAT Status page of your LSAC.org account. This option will be available until 11:59 pm (ET) the night before the test. If you withdraw your registration, you will not receive a refund. You will be required to pay the full registration fee if you register for another test date.

31 karma

Thank you everyone. I'm gonna just go ahead and take the test tomorrow. Just hoping fo the best.

Good luck tomorrow!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Yeah, worse comes to worst, take it for experience. I think this is a common problem for many people, so don't freak out. You'll be surprised by how well the human body can hold things in when forced to. Here's an anecdote: I remember on a previous test, I really really had to go the moment I sat down, but held it in, with pain, which was distracting, but also kept me awake. At the break, there was the most glorious feeling of release I've ever felt. Well, all in all, would not recommend and would not do it again.
    To prevent repeating that, I've been waking up at 5am, doing the same routine, and eating and drinking the same amount every day for the last two weeks to get my body to do its things before 9am. Don't drink too much water the morning of, and don't over eat.

31 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    Yeah, worse comes to worst, take it for experience. I think this is a common problem for many people, so don't freak out. You'll be surprised by how well the human body can hold things in when forced to. Here's an anecdote: I remember on a previous test, I really really had to go the moment I sat down, but held it in, with pain, which was distracting, but also kept me awake. At the break, there was the most glorious feeling of release I've ever felt. Well, all in all, would not recommend and would not do it again.
    To prevent repeating that, I've been waking up at 5am, doing the same routine, and eating and drinking the same amount every day for the last two weeks to get my body to do its things before 9am. Don't drink too much water the morning of, and don't over eat.

Thank you! I've been doing something similar, so lets hope it works. Good luck to you!

edited September 2018 31 karma

So I went and sat for the test!

I sat in a frezing room. >:(

It's currently 66 degrees outside in Seattle and my testing room was much cooler than the outside temperature. I pretty much sat there waiting for the break and the end of the test to run to the restroom. Ugh.

Someone complained about the temperature and received the answer that the HVAC is controlled by the University, not within the Room.

Is this grounds to complain about the testing center? This definitely affected my score as I wasn't able to fully concentrate on the test.

What does a testing center complaint do?