Reading Comp Split Passage Method - CC Lesson?

It seems the preferred method is to read passage A, go through questions, then read passage B, then finish questions.
Did I miss a core curriculum lesson? From what I can tell this is not really taught until answer explanations for the later PTs.

I am taking September LSAT and by the time I found this method I did not want to switch to this with so little time left to practice it. I think it would be very beneficial to make a lesson explaining this method early on in the RC core curriculum. (Unless their already is?)

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Nope. You didn't miss anything. I also wish they would make the split technique an official lesson in the CC. People know this technique because it was in the forum and JY talks about it in his newest explanations.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For what it's worth, I've tried that and I found it time consuming and not any better. I do just fine reading both and then answering questions. To each their own! Don't worry that you're using a suboptimal method or something. If it works for you, it works!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

It’s in the CC. I think it’s in a few of the problem sets. I think it’s really useful. There’s no trick to it just read the first passage then eliminate/answer what you can and then read the second and repeat. I like it bc you don’t have to refer back to the passage as much.

• astrowiseastrowise Alum Member
    97 karma

Thanks for the feedback. I really like 7sage and would definitely recommend it over other courses (I took Testmasters previously), but I think the RC CC could definitely use some work, especially in terms of organization.

It looks like this method could be useful, so if I end up testing again in November I will try using it. But for the time being without practicing I think you are right @"Leah M B" that it would actually be more time consuming.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I'm thinking about making it my own. I'll probably use the JY method for Passage A Main Point questions because the passage is fresh in your mind but I'll ignore the questions where passage B is mentioned at all. Just tends to confuse me.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I'm thinking about making it my own. I'll probably use the JY method for Passage A Main Point questions because the passage is fresh in your mind but I'll ignore the questions where passage B is mentioned at all. Just tends to confuse me.

Even if passage B is mentioned, you can still answer just based off passage A. ie if the question says “how is passage B’s tone similar to passage A”. passage A is a negative review of a book, and passage B is a mixed review, so you can eliminate any of the ACs with positive connotations. Or a question that says what is mentioned in B but not A...you can cross off ACs that are mentioned in A.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

Even if passage B is mentioned, you can still answer just based off passage A. ie if the question says “how is passage B’s tone similar to passage A”. passage A is a negative review of a book, and passage B is a mixed review, so you can eliminate any of the ACs with positive connotations. Or a question that says what is mentioned in B but not A...you can cross off ACs that are mentioned in A.

Yeah you're right I think it just felt like a whole extra step but now i'm realizing it's not much different than the Point At Issue method.