Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any updates on the Khan Academy LSAT Prep experience?

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
in General 1694 karma

Today at the test center, I met a few old friends, and to my surprise, half of them were doing the Khan Academy prep. They told me they were PTing 170+ after 2 months with KA, which was another surprise even though they were smart guys. I read a bunch of old posts about Khan Academy, but that was the Beta, and not too many people got far into the program. Does anyone have any updated info on the course?

Comments

• Darrin.lovard.allenDarrin.lovard.allen Core Member
    118 karma

I was an original beta tester. I found it helped most with getting the timing down

• Darrin.lovard.allenDarrin.lovard.allen Core Member
    118 karma

It was pretty accurate with scores. I was getting a 157 with the software. I ended up with a 156 on the real thing. I plan to try 7sage for a retake

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

I wasn’t a beta user but have used Khan Academy for the past couple months. I certainly have noticed an improvement on LR with it and I use it in conjunction with 7Sage for max exposure. I also have watched some of their RC vids, mainly on comparative passages. I didn’t watch their vids on LG though. It helped to drive home the LR basics and was a good complement to the CC.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"aviated.wings" said:
    I wasn’t a beta user but have used Khan Academy for the past couple months. I certainly have noticed an improvement on LR with it and I use it in conjunction with 7Sage for max exposure. I also have watched some of their RC vids, mainly on comparative passages. I didn’t watch their vids on LG though. It helped to drive home the LR basics and was a good complement to the CC.

Oh wow, that's really helpful to know. I'll check it out!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I know someone who used it for physics and liked it, but I haven't heard any good things about it for LSAT prep. As much as I want it to be awful so that I have a clear advantage over people who are using it, I really think that it should be a decent program to help narrow the score gap caused by socioeconomic differences.

1694 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I know someone who used it for physics and liked it, but I haven't heard any good things about it for LSAT prep. As much as I want it to be awful so that I have a clear advantage over people who are using it, I really think that it should be a decent program to help narrow the score gap caused by socioeconomic differences.

Good point. Guess the LSAT will only be more competitive from now on.

edited September 2018 1777 karma

I know; it's the worst when people have access to the same resources as you do. :joy: #kiddingbutnotkidding

• mizbanismizbanis Member
    55 karma

I used it for my first month of studying (out of only 3 months... I know), and it was a big mistake to use it before anything else. First of all, the core curriculum is weak compared to 7sage and even powerscore books - it doesn't get to the core of logic like 7sage, and pushes you to do a practice test every week despite just starting out. I wasted a few good late PTs this way! I realized pretty soon that it is not enough since I finished everything on the website and was stuck at 160-164 (my diagnostic was 160, so I was pretty unhappy). If I could do it over again, I would start with 7sage and use the free aga khan practice tests after - they give you 10, 5 full section tests, and don't let you cheat around with time.

1694 karma

@mizbanis said:
    I used it for my first month of studying (out of only 3 months... I know), and it was a big mistake to use it before anything else. First of all, the core curriculum is weak compared to 7sage and even powerscore books - it doesn't get to the core of logic like 7sage, and pushes you to do a practice test every week despite just starting out. I wasted a few good late PTs this way! I realized pretty soon that it is not enough since I finished everything on the website and was stuck at 160-164 (my diagnostic was 160, so I was pretty unhappy). If I could do it over again, I would start with 7sage and use the free aga khan practice tests after - they give you 10, 5 full section tests, and don't let you cheat around with time.

Ahhh, thank you. This is the perfect analysis I was hoping to see. So we should only use it as a supplement to 7sage.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

@mizbanis said:
    pushes you to do a practice test every week despite just starting out.

Wow, that's really bad.

1777 karma

@mizbanis which PTs are included?

• mizbanismizbanis Member
    55 karma

@mizbanis which PTs are included?

Here is the fun part: they don't tell you! I figured out the ones I did by googling the first LR question... I did 66, 68, 59, 70, 74 before I stopped taking the weekly tests - and I am not sure where they pull the fifth section from.

1777 karma

Weird! I'm surprised they're using somewhat-recent ones, too.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

I would not want to rely on it entirely. I started with PowerScore, then moved to 7Sage (which was the most helpful for me). I also use Khan, but mostly just for another perspective. Sometimes I get little "Aha!" moments that bring things into focus for me, because sometime you just need something explained a different way for it to make sense. But 7Sage is my go-to.

1694 karma

I know; it's the worst when people have access to the same resources as you do. :joy: #kiddingbutnotkidding

Legit first world problems.

1694 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I would not want to rely on it entirely. I started with PowerScore, then moved to 7Sage (which was the most helpful for me). I also use Khan, but mostly just for another perspective. Sometimes I get little "Aha!" moments that bring things into focus for me, because sometime you just need something explained a different way for it to make sense. But 7Sage is my go-to.

I have the same path as you, hahaha. For me, Powerscore and Khan definitely offers a lot more, "ahah" moments where they give you a trick/short-cup, but 7sage focuses more on the fundamentals and core of things. Good luck with your apps!

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

They have shortcuts for this exam?

1694 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    They have shortcuts for this exam?

Sure, but they don't always work. Interestingly, I have a good friend who took his LSAT prep in China, and he tells me almost everything he learns is based off of statistics and how to choose answers based on patterns, and not really the logic behind them.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

I started to take a diagnostic on the khan academy lsat prep. i couldn't sit through it like a simulated prep test because of the computer aspect. that's my major peeve. i literally can't stay focused on a reading comp passage in on my computer screen. it makes me dizzy and i hate not being able to use a real pencil/paper.

1694 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    I started to take a diagnostic on the khan academy lsat prep. i couldn't sit through it like a simulated prep test because of the computer aspect. that's my major peeve. i literally can't stay focused on a reading comp passage in on my computer screen. it makes me dizzy and i hate not being able to use a real pencil/paper.

Oh. They don't let you print it out? It's a good thing you have 7sage ultimate, then.