Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delaying Taking the LSAT, Taking a Gap Year, Advice?

Samantha.HSamantha.H Member
edited September 2018 in General 26 karma

Hi everyone! I was scheduled to take the September LSAT but decided I truly wasn’t ready for it and decided to do something I have been contemplating for a while taking a gap year, it wasn’t in the plans and I hate to deviate but realized to get the best out of law school career as well as being a lawyer this isn’t something I can rush. In any case does anyone who has taken a gap year or pushed back their LSAT date have any advice on how to manage my time and study and since I’m still in school, my last year, how I should handle my load as well as applying? Also, should I start over to be sure I fully grasp the concepts if I feel I missed out or continue where I left off and see after some practice exams where I need to focus? Upgrading plan, was that something anyone did? I currently have the premium and I am thinking of upgrading to Ultimate. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because while I realize a year will help it will most likely go quickly and I need to gain as much as I can out of this time or it will be a waste. Sorry for the many questions but I want to start off on the right track.

Comments

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Here are some things you may want to take into account: upgrading on here is a great way to review difficult test questions; talk to your possible LOR recommenders soon if you haven't; and maybe volunteer in your community. Also, stay in the game. You can improve. And we're here for you.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1091 karma

If you're still in school your main goal should be maximising your GPA. Don't worry about the LSAT just yet, especially if you're going to have a gap year.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused too. If you're still in school, but planning on a gap year, how will your school work load impact applying? Surely you will apply during your gap year, where your school work load will be over and done with. Or do you mean how should you handle the LSAT + applications?

• Samantha.HSamantha.H Member
    edited September 2018 26 karma

@RigidDesignator maybe I am misunderstanding how a typical gap year works, so I would not apply for the class of 2020? Would that technically mean I am taking 2 years off since I wouldn't start Law School until the Fall of 2021?

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Hey! So I'm likely going to take an extra year to study. I was registered for September, but I think it's too much for me to study, start a new job, and do all of these essays rn. (I also have to do an addendum and a diversity statement.) For me, a gap year means applying for 2020 instead of 2019. Were you planning on applying for 2020 already, and are thinking about pushing back to 2021? If so, what do you hope to gain from that extra year?

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

And from there, I would be happy to give my opinion on the course options.

• Samantha.HSamantha.H Member
    26 karma

@samantha.ashley92

I would like to apply for Fall 2020 instead of 2021 so I’m not that delayed but it will depend on how I do if I take the June 2019 LSAT, so I’m trying to figure out how to study this year while it’s my senior year with all my classes and other obligations so if you can give tips on that I’d reallt appreciate it!