Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How bad does a cancel look?

JK_fish92JK_fish92 Alum Member
in General 175 karma

Saturday still feels like a nightmare to me. It was like one of those dreams where you’re being chased but you have 200 pound legs and can’t runaway.
My first attempt at the LSAT, in February didn’t fare well... but that was due to lack of proper preparation. This time, I was very well prepared... having scored in the lower 160’s my last 5 PT’s (quite the improvement from my embarrassing 149 in Feb). I was fully expecting a 160, or at worst a 158-159.
I’m afraid of what my score will be for this one. I’ve gone through the math in my head and feel like best case scenario I got 65 questions right, worst case could be well below 60.
My question is how bad will a cancellation look next to my bad score on record in comparison to a score that’s not that much better? I’m leaning pretty hard towards cancelling just because I know there’s no way I came anywhere near what I’ve been doing on PT’s the last two months.

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

It does not matter.
    If you're taking it again and can get a better score, that is more important.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would heavily lean toward not cancelling. It's really, really, really hard to guess how well you did on the test (in my opinion). I personally have gone from thinking I did amazing to horrible to amazing so many times since Saturday. It sucks that you feel like you didn't do your best, but I think it would be valuable to get the score and see where you went wrong. And who knows, maybe this is just post test jitters and you actually did better than you thought!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

You know better than anyone else how well you did. Compare your success in this test to your success in previous tests. What sections went well for you? What sections were below average?

Be as honest and critical with yourself as possible. If you genuinely feel that you scored far below your 160 goal, the score cancellation is designed to protect against that. I would say that if there is a decent chance that your second score was lower than a 149, cancel. If there is a good chance of improvement, then you’re better off keeping it.