Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

154 LSAT in at Yale

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/profiles-statistics/entering-class-profile

Not me... but I would love to meet this person: both because they must be exceptional to have a 154 and get into Yale, AND because they had the self-confidence to have a 154 and apply to Yale.

Anyone know other examples of super low LSAT scorers hitting above their weight in terms of admission?

Comments

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Yeah, I saw that the other day when randomly looking at law school class profiles, and was curious.

The guy or gal must have been a Nobel Prize winner, an astronaut, or won multiple gold medals at the Olympics or something.

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

Never say never! :)

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Saw a post on reddit of somebody in at Yale with a 161. Yale is definitely the most unpredictable school so always give it a try I guess

• FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    edited September 2018 122 karma

My take on this kind of thing is that for institutions that are that high up, you can never eliminate the connections factor where a certain student is "encouraged to apply" with some sort of implicit assurance that they will have a shot. Of course, that is assuming that the admissions process itself doesn't already do that to a certain extent, which it might be possible to say is the case. I honestly don't think there are that many 151's applying, but of course we will never know because if they don't apply, who can judge how many would get in. Ugh.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@FoolProofFun said:
    My take on this kind of thing is that for institutions that are that high up, you can never eliminate the connections factor where a certain student is "encouraged to apply" with some sort of implicit assurance that they will have a shot.

Totally agree. Look at the members of the... first family... cough, cough.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@FoolProofFun said:
    My take on this kind of thing is that for institutions that are that high up, you can never eliminate the connections factor

I feel like if your family has those kinds of connections then they probably can afford to hire an elite tutor for you.

My speculation is that the person with a 154 is non-native English speaker who has some other amazing things going on.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Yale is truly a black box when it comes to admissions. Usually one needs really high stats but their review process is so different from other schools you never really know what will happen.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Yale can afford to be creative for certain people with qualifications beyond stats.

http://2whk25ulmmm2a464m182n9r17gu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/malala-yousafzai-2-500x281.jpg

• FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    122 karma

Agree w basically everything said. If I had to guess at whether it was connections or a unique person I’d say a unique person for sure. As someone else pointed out, you can’t discount what a bunch of yale professors will notice in an application, and they do have so many sky high scorers they have room for unique applicants. Props to them.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

You really have nothing to lose in applying to HYS , Especially Y.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@Sprinkles said:

the application fee

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@Tom_Tango said:

@Sprinkles said:

the application fee

So I didn't apply to HYS for that exact reason. In retrospect, I would have applied. Even if you get on the waitlist that is good in case you want to apply as a transfer.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

So, there's hope for me yet? :smiley:

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

@"Cant Get Right" is well right, they have tons of people applying that have high GPAs and LSAT scores in the 170s so adding "diversity" to their class may mean accepting someone with a 154.
    I actually have a friend that got a 158 and got into UChicago Law and I also remember talking to people in admissions and Georgetown and they told me that a student was excepted with a 149 LSAT score, he had an extremely high GPA. That being said, if its a school you really want to go to don't make a decision not to apply because you don't think you will get in, you never know

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Well it certainly makes you wonder how insanely rare their softs must be. There are plenty of applicants with very strong softs that are routinely rejected each year with much higher numbers. I would imagine it is probably an Olympian or Nobel Prize level of softs for Yale to dip almost 20 points below their median and the applicant probably also had a very high GPA.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

One person I read about got in because they were the only living person/family in their tribe or something of that nature. We never know! And I don't think it makes much of a difference to think too much about these type of things too.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@MindyKale said:
    One person I read about got in because they were the only living person/family in their tribe or something of that nature. We never know! And I don't think it makes much of a difference to think too much about these type of things too.

Nope, I don't have anything remotely similar like that in my background. I guess no Yale for me!