Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the test at a major university

tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 770 karma

Hey guys, for those who have taken the LSAT at a major/big university, is this generally better or worse than taking it, say at a community college/smaller university?

When I take paper based exams, I like having large desk space to work on. I imagine for tests at a big university, I'm sure there are a lot of people sitting for the exam, so I would presume they make you take the test at a big lecture hall? But lecture halls usually have those tiny, fold-out desks, which would really suck to take the LSAT on.

Also, I just found out the university where I was planning to take the exam at, will have a home football game that Saturday in November (it's a Pac-12 big school). Do you guys think the noise factor will be something I should consider if deciding to choose this site (even though the test is in the morning, I'm sure the campus will be abuzz with students/parents/people, etc)?

Comments

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Generally, I'd say go for the less busy testing facility.

My mind was wandering similar places as yours leading up to last Saturday. The facility in my home city (Winnipeg, POP: 685,000) was full when I registered, so I ended up writing in a neighboring city (POP: 25,000). I wrote the test with 8 other takers. The initial administrative process was only 15min and there was plenty of time to casually go to the restroom at the break.

That being said, there was some uncertainty with going to the neighboring city (unfamiliar campus, sleeping in a hotel the night before, no access to my regular running paths the morning of, etc.). But, I'm expecting to rewrite in November, and I'm already planning on returning to the same facility.

Hope that helps!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I took the test at Indiana University (often in the top ten largest campuses) and there were enough takers for them to split us into three rooms. The rooms were SO NICE and we each easily had six feet of desk/table space and super comfy chairs etc. And there was a football game that evening there as well and there was no noise problems. Don't write off the big schools/testing centers too fast!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you're located near the school, I'd call them and try to find out where the test is given and see if you can go check out the room(s) to see the setup. Also, here on the board there is a section for "Test Center Reviews" that you can see if there's a review of the site. Or if you also google the university name with "LSAT test center review" there are other websites that people leave info about it. I did research on the university where I tested and found everyone saying it was an ideal location, so I chose that one and have been happy with it. It's at a law school and the lecture hall has the nice long connected desks so there's tons of space. All in all, very pleasant. I think each space is unique so you should just research the specific school to find out.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    It's at a law school and the lecture hall has the nice long connected desks so there's tons of space. All in all, very pleasant.

Oh yeah, I love those long connected desk types. Maybe I should take it at a law school campus near me, instead of the big university.

Thanks!