Question on Diversity Statement - Overcoming Mental Illness

Apologies if this has been asked, but I have been in a semi-spirited debate with my wife about this. I've been in the workforce for the past 14 years (5 years as a federal employee at a three-letter agency and 8 years in the Army with extensive leadership experience and a combat deployment).

I was medically retired from the Army due to a mental illness that manifested itself immediately after I redeployed in 2014. (I am considered a disabled veteran by the VA).

Is this something that is worth brining up through a diversity statement? I am a little worried that disclosing an issue like this could impact me negatively, despite the fact that I am able to live/function with a service-connected issue.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Being mentally ill/overcoming a mental illness isn't diversity in my opinion. It could make a great personal statement for sure, and I'm not saying that it isn't powerful or that you shouldn't bring it up, but diversity is more like international/ethnically diverse/LGBTQ type diversity.

• swatowski0swatowski0 Alum Member
    66 karma

I actually wrote my diversity statement about depression!

Contrary to the earlier post, I would argue that overcoming mental illness counts as diversity. Diversity isn't just international/ethnically diverse/LGBTQ - it is any unique perspective that would help change the dynamics of the law school community. Diversity could be a single mother raising children and diversity could be someone who's been in the military - these people would both provide unique voices/perspectives in the classrooms.

I have also talked to several law schools regarding the diversity statement (because like you, I was worried that discussing mental illness could be risky). However, I think the NYU Law Dean of Admissions reassured me the most, saying that law schools are more and more aware of mental health issues and their importance. In our society now, there's a growing movement for mental health awareness and education. Law schools understand this and simply cannot look at mental health related issues negatively at this point in time (as said by the Dean).

I would just make sure, if you are to write about mental illness, is to focus on how it has shaped you into a better person. In my statement, I focused on how overcoming mental illness has made me a stronger and disciplined person who is involved in mental health advocacy. I was careful to make sure that the tone was "empowering/optimistic" and not "victimizing".

However, if you are still unsure about the topic, I'd urge you to reach out to the schools thats you're interested in and ask!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

The reason that I would consider ethnically diverse/LGBTQ more of a diversity factor is because schools report their numbers on those groups. It's seen as a boost for the school to have a certain percentage of non white students, etc. Almost every single person has something about themselves that's "diverse," but if everyone adds diversity, what is the point of even asking for a diversity statement? I would like to say though that I appreciate the other perspective offered by @swatowski0 and I don't think that there is necessarily a right or wrong answer, and it probably partly depends on the school/specific admissions person.

• swatowski0swatowski0 Alum Member
    66 karma

This is an example of a diversity statement prompt from UPenn Law:

Describe how your background or experiences will enhance the diversity of the Penn Law community (e.g., based on your culture, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ideology, age, socioeconomic status, academic background, employment, or personal experience).

From my experience and the applications that I've worked on, law schools have a wide definition of 'diversity'.

Law schools can still report those diversity numbers that you speak of regardless if you write a diversity statement or not because they specifically ask on their application for your ethnicity and if you are LGBTQ. @MissChanandler

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

Disabled vet is a great PS or DS topic.
    The fill in the blanks and checked boxes in the application are for statistical purposes, the DS is not. Someone may write a DS about i.e. being Jewish, Muslim, Egyptian, Turkish, Bulgarian, Russian etc. They aren’t considered URM but they can still talk about their diverse background, upbringing, culture, obstacles faced, etc. One could write about caring for a disabled parent. Raising a sibling. Paying their way through school. Being raised by a single parent. Battling cancer. Being in the military.

Not to be rude but some people who likely haven’t even opened a school application before are feeding people w misinformation on here.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Diversity is defined differently by different schools. Some defined it broadly whilst some define it narrowly. You should check with each school you want to apply to.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2018 9382 karma

A diversity statement is usually an essay about how your background gives you a perspective that other applicants won’t have. So yes, basically, you can talk about almost anything.

But it’s usually optional, so if you are hesitant about disclosing it, you don’t have to try to write one. As @David.Busis says, “If you can write a compelling diversity statement, do so. If not, don’t.”

• saul.j.slowiksaul.j.slowik Alum Member
    54 karma

Thanks everyone. I'm probably going to use the story as my personal statement (especially after viewing the content of the admissions course). The story leading up to my diagnosis is actually fairly compelling and paints an overall picture about why I want to go to law school.

Again, thank you everyone. The insights here are very profound.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

I think you have a good idea with the PS topic. You could also look at schools' stats and see if any of them publish how many of their students are vets. I feel like I saw that on one school's website. If so, that will definitely help you out with your chance of admission.