edited August 2019 in Law School Admissions 92 karma

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Good luck being an attorney if following arbitrary administrative rules frustrate you this much lol. shouldn’t be hard to get a letter confirming you didn’t attend.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

That's unfortunate but hey at least you got into a better school! And you learned your lesson with something that should be relatively easy to fix, so try not to stress too much over it!

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    edited September 2018 389 karma

@"Mr. Singh" said:
    Lesson learned. Be very careful what you disclose to these people. Don't put any information on your LSAC account until you are sure it is permanent or you are about to send transcripts.

Precisely! I think it's good that you shared this, especially for those who're applying for the first time. Could save someone a lot of unnecessary stress during the application process.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1694 karma

Didn't mean to offend. Apologies.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    Not trying to critical here, but I am rather confused... When you were talking to them about it, why didn't you just try to explain the situation like you did with us, instead... It sounds like you just whined and complained, irrationally and impolitely, and pissed them off.
    This story doesn't paint the LSAC as having done anything wrong here.
    On the bright side, you have a better school to attend right now, and you can always try again to ask LSAC to change your school in the future.

I agree here. If that's how the conversation really went down, you could have tried to be more tactful. Works wonders, you know. Probably especially important for us as we're trying to become lawyers after all.

• edited August 2019 92 karma

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2018 9377 karma

Oh I didn't know it's actually this hard to erase an institution. So it means you have an institution which you never attended listed on "Academic Summary Report"? Interesting. Thanks for letting us know!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"Mr. Singh" said:

@Bamboosprout said:
    Not trying to critical here, but I am rather confused... When you were talking to them about it, why didn't you just try to explain the situation like you did with us, instead... It sounds like you just whined and complained, irrationally and impolitely, and pissed them off.
    This story doesn't paint the LSAC as having done anything wrong here.
    On the bright side, you have a better school to attend right now, and you can always try again to ask LSAC to change your school in the future.

Do you work for LSAC or something? Sorry my story bothered you...

No, don't worry. It doesn't bother me. It's always good to share problems you faced during applications. Like it said, it's not meant to be critical, and is meant to be feedback for how your post sounds. I honestly hope maybe the next guy who you call will be willing to change it.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@Mr. Singh no problem man. I'm glad you shared your story. Hopefully it helps other people.

3652 karma

Lol hate to break it to you but a huge part of practicing law is in fact following seemingly arbitrary administrative rules. You don’t just get to jump into court and yell at people like in movies. Anything that is being litigated has to follow a similar procedure. It makes sense that they wouldn’t just take your word for it that you didn’t attend an institution as one could just be trying to hide grades.

• notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
    edited September 2018 267 karma

Did you read the notice on the LSAC account sign up page that said:

"SELF-MANAGED ACCOUNT
    Your LSAC.org account provides a great deal of information about your activity with LSAC and with the law schools to which you may be applying. It is your responsibility to manage your account actively, ensuring that all relevant information is received, that all information is current and correct, and that all deadlines are met."

If you weren't enrolled in the college that you initially put as your degree granting institution, then I do think you could correctly list that as your degree granting institution

Also, the tone of your thread makes it sound like you are frustrated with the LSAC.

267 karma

Like if this were a reading comprehension passage and the question was asking me about the authors tone. I would answer something like "mild frustration" not "concerned caution" lol

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

So I was enrolled in a school and withdrew after the add/drop deadline. That needs to be listed on my transcripts list. If you never attended a school, it should not be on there. I would write out everything you need to say and call again. Read from the script and only vary where it would make sense naturally. This is an ideal strategy when dealing with an emotionally-charged situation because (as someone who worked in customer service for 6.5 years) I know that it's easy to go off on someone when you're not getting what you need. I have gotten a little too heated with my insurance company, even though I "knew" I wouldn't... so I know that personally, as well haha. Good luck! Worst comes to worst, write a very short addendum.

1777 karma

I have no doubt that the way you spoke to them was irrelevant... it was just a suggestion. People are often willing to work harder for you when you treat them like real people and not just employees (also not saying you did that). But I wish the LSAC would remove my withdrawal haha.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

It’s not really “permanent” if they’re willing to change it with a letter from the school. The “evidence” that they have that you went there is that you said you went there. You say they don’t trust anyone, but you also think that they shouldn’t trust you when you say you went there. And they’re not really lazy for not calling the school themselves. You made the “mistake” of saying you went there and then not going, so why should they have to fix it for you?

edited September 2018 3652 karma

@"Mr. Singh" said:

@"surfy surf" said:
    Lol hate to break it to you but a huge part of practicing law is in fact following seemingly arbitrary administrative rules. You don’t just get to jump into court and yell at people like in movies. Anything that is being litigated has to follow a similar procedure. It makes sense that they wouldn’t just take your word for it that you didn’t attend an institution as one could just be trying to hide grades.

Uhhhhh...Actually no. I would know considering I have filed multiple briefs inside federal courts. Both district and circuit courts. I have not ran into a single rule that is arbitrary. Rules exist to serve a purpose. In fact, the word “arbitrary” is dangerous in an actual courtroom. Go look up what a writ of mandamus is and when it gets filed. It’s law firms that deal with bulls*it “arbitrary” rules. The bigger the firm, the more you deal with.

i.e. in a civil suit, before a case goes to a jury trial, both sides have to serve to each other a "demand for exchange of expert witnesses." there is already a civil court deadline for this exchange. the demand is just reitirating the court's deadline. this is a seemingly useless administrative procedure, yet getting frustrated at the court clerk about it will not alleviate you from you/your paralegal having to type up like 30 words. close reading and ability to follow rules is apart of the law.

A rule is pointless if it isn’t clearly stated. It’s LSAC’s mistake for not making it clear to its account holders.

It kind of was clearly stated... You made a mistake by saying X school was your degree granting school when it was not...As I said earlier, the following notice was clearly visible on the page you sign up to create your account, on the same page where you entered your degree granting school...

"SELF-MANAGED ACCOUNT
    Your LSAC.org account provides a great deal of information about your activity with LSAC and with the law schools to which you may be applying. It is your responsibility to manage your account actively, ensuring that all relevant information is received, that all information is current and correct, and that all deadlines are met."

How could you correctly name a school as your degree granting school if you are not even currently enrolled in that school??? Sorry dude.

267 karma

Ok. I acquiesce. You are clearly the type of person that is never wrong, you are infalliable. Nothing any of us can do or say will have any impact on you. Good luck dude! Sorry for wasting your time.

“You’re not paying attention. LSAC allows you to list a school that you are attending with a futuristic graduation date. “

You weren’t attending the school you listed, though.

Also, just because LSAC allows one to input a futuristic graduation date doesn’t mean they allow one to list a school one is not even currently attending.

If I were to see the remark that stated I was allowed to enter a futuristic graduation date, I would not infer from that that I am allowed to list a school I am not even attending.

I think the purpose of the flexible graduation date option is to accommodate for the fact that it might take some people less than four years to graduate and more for others.

I think it is more likely that you misread / misinterperated the fields on the LSAC sign in sheet.

I also think this post was more of a rant than a PSA. If you really want to prevent people from going through what you went through, have you contacted LSAC to have them make some sort of change? This post / thread will be gone into the 7Sage discussion forum abyss in a matter of days. How many people will it even help?

1777 karma

@"Mr. Singh" said:
    LSAC allows you to list a school that you are attending with a futuristic graduation date. When I listed it, I listed the date that I planned to graduate in the future. So, it was correct at the time because I had been accepted and was planning to enroll. Had I done that, the date I listed would have been correct.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

267 karma

True true true.

267 karma

I didn’t realize you were enrolled and had a student pin. That sounds like you were registered to attend / attending. It kind of actually does sound like a misleading prompt/question field. And it sounds like it could be a hassle for some people.

You should send them an email.

• Lawster9Lawster9 Alum Member
    393 karma

I love this thread :)

Y'all are going to be great lawyers. Going to bookmark this thread so that I can read it when I'm not so tired (thus maximizing entertainment value contained therein).