Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheaper Personal Statement revising services?

edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 534 karma

Anyone ever heard of Kibin? Just randomly came across it a few minutes ago. Not sure if it's any good (please comment if you know), but thought I'd point it out for those of us who can't afford $1500+ for help on essays. Says in their FAQ that the average essay assistance costs about $30. Not sure if we're allowed to post links; try Googling "Kibin personal statements"

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hmmm, I don't think we are supposed to post competitive services here. Either way never heard of them. Also, cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm pretty sure it's fine. The 7sage folks know that we all have a vested interest in using admissions services and allow for discussion on that, reviews, etc. This isn't the place for paid advertisements though haha. But I think asking if anyone has heard of or used another service is ok.

That said, never heard of them haha. 7sage is pretty reasonable for just a one time review, $199. And $699 for unlimited of 1 essay. That's certainly still a lot of money, but very reasonable for comparable specialized law admissions services.

As for Kibin, I looked around the site. I think you might get what you pay for. They hire out freelance people to edit. It sounds like they mostly won't have experience with law school admissions specifically, these are just generally good writers that can review something. The low fee is enticing, but I don't know if it'd be much better than asking people on the forum here to review your statement for free, or a friend or family member who has writing skills.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Michaela I'm not sure about that service. But you get what you pay for. If you're looking for an affordable service, I suggest looking at programs your school offers. Career services or writing centers can help you for free.

• JaejaebinxJaejaebinx Alum Member
    104 karma

Ditto what @10000019 said. If you're still in school, your university might have these resources for free. The university I attend has pre-law counseling in their career center. The counselors also help with personal statements.

• Thanks for the responses everyone! I will definitely look into those options. My budget for anything essay-related is about $200. Also, I’m definitely not a paid advertiser or anything like that; I was looking for tips on drafting a personal statement and that was one of the sites that popped up on google. Alas, you all are probably right about getting what you pay for.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

FWIW, I think the 7Sage $10.00 Admission Overview package is an excellent value. It contains information and suggestions for each component of an admissions package, with good and bad examples. If you go on to purchase other 7Sage admissions products, you get that $10.00 back as a discount.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I think Stratus counseling is another cheaper service which seems to be somewhat reputable. I haven’t used it, I just considered it as a more budget friendly option when I was looking into editing services.