Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it best to PT using 5 sections?

Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
in General 517 karma

I know during the actual LSAT, it'll be 5 sections. Does anyone know what JY recommends? If it's recommended to use 5, I'll just take a section from an earlier PT and add it in.

4 vs 5 Section PTs
  1. Do you PT with 4 sections or 5?21 votes
    1. 4
      52.38%
    2. 5
      47.62%

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Well, JY's advice and my actual habits are different, so it's hard to answer your poll haha. I definitely think there's an advantage to taking 5 section PTs. That is what JY recommends, and what many people around here do.

I occasionally do a 5 section PT, but the vast majority of the time I do 4 sections. I felt that, for myself, the extra section wasn't going to be a huge deal. Adrenaline does carry you through a lot of it on test day. Since I work full time and I did have some burn out at one point, I mostly kept to 4 sections just to keep my stress and time levels down. There are people here that even do 6 section PTs, to really push yourself. That makes test day easier than your average PT! If you have the time, I don't think that's a bad idea either (although if you do that, I strongly think you should do no more than 1 PT per week).

So, it's a personal choice. If you're new to PTs, you might want to do 4 for your first couple and then move up to 5 once you think you've built up the stamina. Or if you'd rather grind and push yourself to do it right away, start out with 5. Maybe push to 6 if you want. I think a lot of people will take another test and use the 4 sections from it spread out over 4 PTs, so when you take 4 PTs, you've finished an extra one in that time. You can take your sections from that and add it up into the analytics. That's a pretty smart way to do it, I think.

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

I would definitely recommend taking at minimum your last 5-10 PT's at five sections. Going from four to five sections is a difference, at least in my opinion !

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

I actually find 5 a little annoying. I do 6 sections. You get an extra test in every 2 sittings

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1058 karma

OP,

IMHO, I say getting used to 4 sections is too risky. If you're doing 4 sections only, are you going to take a break after the third section? And after 15 mins of break, just do one more section and be done? yet this is still better than taking a break after the second section because you will never have that luxury during the real exam. You need to get used to working for 105 mins with no breaks in between. At a bare minimum 5 sections but 6 is a great practice. Just my thoughts :)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I always used 4 and I don't think it affected my scores on test day.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think it's good to do at least a few five section tests but to be honest I always did four sections in practice and on test day I didn't feel too tired for the fifth one.