Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips on what to discuss when meeting with an admissions advisor at a law school

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
in General 3652 karma

I’m visiting my TC next week and have a meeting scheduled wth an admissions advisor. It’s a 20 min meeting...really short. Do I just ask them what they’re looking for in an applicant and let them talk or am I trying o sell myself orrrr

Comments

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

Haha! I asked about what they're looking for in an applicant but we mainly discussed the law school and its various programs. I asked about clinics, internships, student diversity, clubs, the atmosphere, etc. I mainly focused on law school-specific questions. Just be yourself!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"aviated.wings" said:
    Haha! I asked about what they're looking for in an applicant but we mainly discussed the law school and its various programs. I asked about clinics, internships, student diversity, clubs, the atmosphere, etc. I mainly focused on law school-specific questions. Just be yourself!

I’m weirdly nervous like this is an interview lol. What else did you do on your visit? I’m going to sit in on a class for sure

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Demonstrate interest, and knowing the pros and cons of that school will help you.

edited September 2018 285 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

I’m weirdly nervous like this is an interview lol. What else did you do on your visit? I’m going to sit in on a class for sure

Haha yeah, I mainly focused on law school-specific questions which shows interest. I've noticed that they don't ask too many questions of you, but rather expect you to be prepared with questions. I went on a tour and sat in on a class plus checked out the law library. You can also inquire about any upcoming events they might have. Sometimes they have events during the year like open house, etc., that are open to the public. Have fun! :)

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited September 2018 4850 karma

I think this really depends on the school and you as an applicant. I spent two hours with an admissions person at my TC and we talked about everything under the sun. Much of it had zero to do with law school. I did lead off with asking about a specific aspect of the school's culture that makes it attractive for me and the rest just flowed organically from that. I did have a few key points (local school system, housing, strength of the alumni network) prior to the session that I wanted answered, but they all came up naturally in the conversation and tour. I would think that there would be significant things of interest to you as the school in question is your TC that the admission's person could either reinforce or delve deeper into. We took turns as "salesmen" in the conversation, her for her school and me for me.

Good luck!

ETA: Had a thought while walking the dog: A question I have asked has been something in the ballpark of "did your school see an increase in quantity and quality of applicants last cycle (given the total increase in applications) and what impact did it have for that cycle and for moving forward?" I've gotten some interesting (and different) answers.

edited September 2018 3652 karma

@"aviated.wings" said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

I've noticed that they don't ask too many questions of you, but rather expect you to be prepared with questions.

Woooof you are right and that was awkward. I am great at interviews but I have never interviewed someone which is essentially what was expected of me. I wasn’t told who I would be meeting with and I ended up meeting with someone with a really high up position...which I didn’t know until the end of the meeting...and I was like wow shit I so did not present myself as intelligent and articulate and passionate about the school. I didn’t have a prepared set of questions bc I thought that it would be more conversational and interactive like I would ask a couple questions and we would end up chatting. I thought upon sitting down it would be like hi how are you how is your visit but it was immediately “what are your questions.” I ended up just blasting them w a ton of random questions bc I couldn’t really get them to open up and a lot of the answers were just “it depends...”
    The applicant who had an appointment before me actually walked out of the meeting 10 minutes early...looking pale faced and spooked as hell... I’m glad I managed to keep the convo going past my allotted 20 min at least...
    I was really excited to sit in on this class with this professor who I am a huge fan of especially since they emailed that they would talk to me after class. they ended up not having time to talk and I just got like a 2 minute convo during the class break. Loved the lecture tho.
    Meeting with a couple students was a highlight it was awesome that club leaders took an hour+ out of their day to chat with me and show me around. I learned a lot from them.

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I did lead off with asking about a specific aspect of the school's culture that makes it attractive for me and the rest just flowed organically from that.

Good luck!

ETA: Had a thought while walking the dog: A question I have asked has been something in the ballpark of "did your school see an increase in quantity and quality of applicants last cycle (given the total increase in applications) and what impact did it have for that cycle and for moving forward?" I've gotten some interesting (and different) answers.

Gah I seriously don’t even think i mentioned, “I like X about the school...” bc I got so nervous and felt like I was only allowed to speak in question form. And I totally forgot to ask about last year’s cycle, that could have been a great question.

285 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

I've noticed that they don't ask too many questions of you, but rather expect you to be prepared with questions.

Woooof you are right and that was awkward. I am great at interviews but I have never interviewed someone which is essentially what was expected of me. I wasn’t told who I would be meeting with and I ended up meeting with someone with a really high up position...which I didn’t know until the end of the meeting...and I was like wow shit I so did not present myself as intelligent and articulate and passionate about the school. I didn’t have a prepared set of questions bc I thought that it would be more conversational and interactive like I would ask a couple questions and we would end up chatting. I thought upon sitting down it would be like hi how are you how is your visit but it was immediately “what are your questions.” I ended up just blasting them w a ton of random questions bc I couldn’t really get them to open up and a lot of the answers were just “it depends...”
    The applicant who had an appointment before me actually walked out of the meeting 10 minutes early...looking pale faced and spooked as hell... I’m glad I managed to keep the convo going past my allotted 20 min at least...
    I was really excited to sit in on this class with this professor who I am a huge fan of especially since they emailed that they would talk to me after class. they ended up not having time to talk and I just got like a 2 minute convo during the class break. Loved the lecture tho.
    Meeting with a couple students was a highlight it was awesome that club leaders took an hour+ out of their day to chat with me and show me around. I learned a lot from them.

Haha wow, sounds like you had fun! I’m sure you did great though — sometimes we are our own worst critics. ;) You could also write a “thank you” email to the advisor :) Now you know for any future visits to other schools. Love the “it depends” responses - hilariously law school! Great that you were able to connect with students and sit in on a class, I think that is really important and gives you a taste for the school. Wish you the best!

edited September 2018 1694 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

Nice to hear that! It sounds like everything about your visit honestly went pretty well.
    This is off topic, but what made you decide to go visit anyway? And can you share what the process of asking for a visit was like?

3652 karma

@Bamboosprout it’s localish to me (1 hr flight) and I wanted to have an excuse to come to this area anyways since I love it here. I had this random weekday off work so I took advantage. This is my 2nd year applying so I wanted to revamp my Why X essay. I just went to the visiting the school page of the website and followed along. The school didn’t arrange anything for me I just picked a class and reached out to students on my own.

1694 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    @Bamboosprout it’s localish to me (1 hr flight) and I wanted to have an excuse to come to this area anyways since I love it here. I had this random weekday off work so I took advantage. This is my 2nd year applying so I wanted to revamp my Why X essay. I just went to the visiting the school page of the website and followed along. The school didn’t arrange anything for me I just picked a class and reached out to students on my own.

Thanks for your insight on this. It's great to hear how a fellow 7sage student is doing. Wish you the best!

4850 karma

@"surfy surf" Not that it helps, but I just had a similar experience yesterday during my last school tour before I submit apps. Good tour with a student, more pleased with the school than I thought I would be, but then a blank stare and “any questions” from an admissions counselor. No chemistry and I made a few comments I immediately regretted given his responses and reactions. Sigh, hoping it does not negatively impact my chances.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Would you guys suggest doing an in-person tour? I was only going to do that if I got in but maybe there is an admission advantage to it?

edited September 2018 4850 karma

@ChaimtheGreat For whatever reason, I was blessed with a decent bit of charisma (at least more than I was blessed with LSAT scoring ability), so I wanted to be sure that I interacted with humans on the other side of my applications. As I’m not a shoe-in at any of my schools and I’m casting a very small net (3 total), I went on a self-marketing tour. I also confirmed my negative opinions of a few schools who will not be receiving an app (a fact I’m sure they are upset about). I need every single smidge of support I can get.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    Would you guys suggest doing an in-person tour? I was only going to do that if I got in but maybe there is an admission advantage to it?

I did an in-person tour for all the schools on my list. It gave me a good gauge of the location, drive, people, school, class. Speaking with the admissions counselor was great because I was able to ask questions, etc. I'm not sure if they would remember me but I certainly remember all my interactions. I think if you are able you should personally visit your schools to make sure its a good "fit" at least from a locale standpoint.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"surfy surf" Thanks for that posting!
    There's a question right there, though: "Is 'it depends' a safe answer that we learn to use in 1L, or does that come later in the curriculum here at X?". Heheheheheh. Dunno how that'd go over. YMMV.
    In all seriousness though, I love reading these posts and perspectives. I wouldn't have thought a tour would end in the expectation of having to have specific questions ready for the big whigs.

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    @"surfy surf" Not that it helps, but I just had a similar experience yesterday during my last school tour before I submit apps. Good tour with a student, more pleased with the school than I thought I would be, but then a blank stare and “any questions” from an admissions counselor. No chemistry and I made a few comments I immediately regretted given his responses and reactions. Sigh, hoping it does not negatively impact my chances.

did you manage to last the full 20 min or did you end up running out of questions? i think they purposely seem robotic bc they don't want mislead students that they have a greater chance of acceptance based on the meeting. and they don't want to divulge any sort of secret formula as to how to get into the school so they only answer the specific questions the applicant asks. honestly it felt like a waste of time to me, i'm not sure what an admissions advisor could tell you that you cant find out from just looking at the school website/lurking forums/speaking with a student. i hope there's some slight benefit in just having it on my file that i went out of my way to meet with them.

4850 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

did you manage to last the full 20 min or did you end up running out of questions? i think they purposely seem robotic bc they don't want mislead students that they have a greater chance of acceptance based on the meeting. and they don't want to divulge any sort of secret formula as to how to get into the school so they only answer the specific questions the applicant asks. honestly it felt like a waste of time to me, i'm not sure what an admissions advisor could tell you that you cant find out from just looking at the school website/lurking forums/speaking with a student. i hope there's some slight benefit in just having it on my file that i went out of my way to meet with them.

I did not have a set schedule with this individual. He just popped his head out and said to come in when my tour was over. I probably spent 15-20 minutes total. To be honest, I had more "real" conversations with other admissions people: discussions of children, spouses, public defense in my home state, books, etc. This particular one had zero personal interaction. Admissions people definitely don't owe me any personal interaction, but this was one of the only interactions that stayed overly formal. Like you, I'm hoping that the schools I visit at a minimum note I care enough to stop in prior to submitting an application.