Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are fee waivers ever sent with knowledge of your GPA? or just your LSAT?

Splitter here. I'm trying to figure out whether to include an education addendum for low grades for schools that have already sent me a fee waiver. The reasons for the low grades are the kind of thing that could help to know in some cases (if my low GPA is the one reservation a school might have about admitting me, and they view the circumstances as ameliorating) or could hurt to know in others (if they really don't care that my GPA is below median, but the information in the addendum is perceived as damning).

So I guess I'm wondering - Do schools that send you a waiver have knowledge of your GPA and LSAT, or just your LSAT? In other words do they know you have less than perfect grades already, and invite you to apply in spite of it, or do they invite you to apply only with knowledge of your LSAT, and would be surprised by your low grades and want some kind of an explanation for them.

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

They access to both. They send waivers on three things (omitting ethnicity): (1) GPA; (2) LSAT; (3) GPA+LSAT.

Don't assume that because you got a fee waiver based on GPA, the school is okay with your GPA. The person evaluating your application isn't the same person that sent out the fee waiver.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@10000019 is correct from everything I have read. Can confirm that schools will send on LSAT alone: I have yet to upload my transcripts (mistake on a single community college grade I want to handle first, with the school rather than LSAC) and have gotten several fee waivers based on the LSAT alone.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I've never heard of someone receiving a waiver from a T20 school without a reported LSAT score.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

helpful to know, thank you all

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@NotMyName Just shy of T20, but I looked at some old emails to refresh my memory and I received a waiver from Emory prior to having an LSAT score last year. I got way more fee waivers after I took the LSAT though, so I think many won't send until that is available. But some do.