Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retaking November. Still Apply Now?

alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 715 karma

September scores are in! Feeling indifferent about my score. I was averaging average 157 on PTs and ended up getting a 155. LG is my biggest strength. I got super lucky and had 2 LG sections, ended getting 0 wrong which is great. LR I did much worse than my normal average per section and RC a few points better but still I think I can improve by November. I admit I was getting burnt out and ended up having a bunch happen in my personal life the week before. Now that I have my score I’ve been doing research and while I plan on retaking I’m concerned about when I should apply. I’m pretty confident my scores will get me into the schools I want as I’m right at the medians and I’m also a URM. However, I’m really wanting to get a scholarship. I plan on being in a public service position and really want to reduce my debt. When I look at my chances of getting in to the schools I want, the percentage is about 10% higher now than it is if I wait until December. I don’t know anything about scholarship negotiation but I’m thinking if I already have a good chance to be accepted then I can apply now, still retake in November and hopefully with a higher score be able to negotiate scholarships. Is that the right thinking? Any advice would be great!

Which one?
  1. What does everyone think?30 votes
    1. Apply now
      36.67%
    2. Apply after retake
      63.33%

Comments

• 362 karma

What did you do to strengthen your logic games section? I’m working on logic games and not missing any is definitely a goal for me.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think you have a great plan - apply now and if you do better in Nov, use that for scholarships. The one thing to note is that if you are registered for a future LSAT, most schools won’t mark your application as complete automatically. You’ll have to send in your app, then email admissions and request that they review it with your current LSAT score on file.

I’d just say if there are any schools that you think would potentially reject you with the current LSAT, then wait until the Re-take to apply. It’s more difficult to come back from that than either a waitlist or just a lower scholarship.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited September 2018 1804 karma

Do keep in mind that, usually, your application will be deemed complete and forwarded to admission committees only after you receive your final LSAT score. If you decide to retake the LSAT, there's no difference whether you apply now or later when it comes to getting your applications reviewed.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@FixedDice said:
    Do keep in mind that, usually, your application will be deemed complete and forwarded to admission committees only after you receive your final LSAT score. If you decide to retake the LSAT, there's no difference whether you apply now or later when it comes to getting your applications reviewed.

I agree with this. You lose any benefit from applying early in the cycle, and at a 155 any improvements you make have a huge percentile increase. Your application late in the cycle with a 160 will make you a completely different (stronger) candidate from an early/on time application with a 155.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@alyhobbs I would post-pone until you can break into the 160s. I know you can do it and we can help you get there. But don't apply with a 155 or a 159.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Check if your schools would even process your apps. A lot of schools wouldn't even review it if they know that you are signed up for a future LSAT date.

• alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
    715 karma

@denzeljones14 said:
    What did you do to strengthen your logic games section? I’m working on logic games and not missing any is definitely a goal for me.

I wish I had some secret answer but honestly I just really enjoy logic games. I went through the CC, did the problem sets and then did half of the fool proofing. Closer to the test I did some of the harder games to get accustomed to them but that was really it. To me I just do exactly what JY says and find inferences in the beginning. If I can’t get any then I find that some questions kind of bounce off of each other. One answer on one question can lead to an inference on another if that makes sense. I definitely recommend fool proofing if anything.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

I remember reading your posts and learning about how far you've come, congratulations! Super proud of you <3 I'm aiming to perfect LG and scrape up points in RC too :)

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 770 karma

@FixedDice said:

So if I am taking the LSAT for the first time in November (so obviously I have no official LSAT score currently), it's completely useless for me to apply right now, correct? Schools won't even look at my application without an official LSAT score on file?

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    So if I am taking the LSAT for the first time in November (so obviously I have no official LSAT score currently), it's completely useless for me to apply right now, correct? Schools won't even look at my application without an official LSAT score on file?

I think so, yes. I would check with each school, because some lower-ranked schools have been quite desperate.

• alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
    715 karma

@AshleighK said:
    I remember reading your posts and learning about how far you've come, congratulations! Super proud of you <3 I'm aiming to perfect LG and scrape up points in RC too :)

Thanks! I really appreciate that! It has definitely been a journey and if I really stop and look at where I started I am 20 points higher which is actually amazing. Makes me feel better about my score. I hope you reach your goals also! :smile: