Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nov or Jan?

DEC NutsDEC Nuts Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 111 karma

Hi All,

I took the June test and scored a 153 which was my average at the time. I studied all summer and only had time to take two PT's before September; both were recent tests and I scored a 159 and 161. I took the September test feeling really confident and scored a 150 which I haven't scored that low since my diagnostic. Test conditions were good and I wasn't feeling nervous. (-11 RC, -15 LR, -8LG, -10LR). I have never done so poorly in LR, but RC and LG were relatively consistent.

I was hoping to apply ED but that is out the window. I was wondering if I should sign up for November or just wait it out until January? I graduate in early December so I will have more time then but I can't help but think that I should try to sit for November so I don't pin up my hopes of having one last take in January for this cycle. I'm curious whether it would be advisable to just sign up Nov and withdrawal before if these next weeks don't go well.

My target would be 158-162. My average BR is 165.

Thank you for your input!

Test Date
  1. When should I sit for the next exam?13 votes
    1. Nov and re-take in Jan if necessary
      69.23%
    2. Jan
      30.77%

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I think that November is the clear winner here. If you have proven that you can score above a 160 on PT's and your goal score is a 162, I see no reason that you can't get there by November. Just keep grinding and try to mitigate stress inducing factors.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I am strongly inclined to recommend you to take a year off, work and study, retake the LSAT next year, and apply as soon as possible.

1. Law school aspiration is not eternal. GPA is.
    2. Law schools like to see people with some gap years.
    3. Even if you invest into either of those two administration, you still may not get the score you want, with schoolwork and whatnot.
    4. Both November and January are quite late, and some schools may not accept January scores.

If you are hell-bent on applying this year, however, go for the November administration. Forget schoolwork; it's overrated. Do minimal work so you won't flunk any class.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

I'm curious whether it would be advisable to just sign up Nov and withdrawal before if these next weeks don't go well.

The way I see it, the problem with this reasoning is that you place yourself in an indefinite two-front war.

I don't know what your schedule is like right now, but college classes usually come with substantial workloads. So your LSAT study is already compromised by your coursework. Then there's the LSAT itself. How confident are you in your ability to get about at least 15 more questions right on the next administration, while dealing with your undergraduate workload? If you don't score as high as you want, then you may have to retake in January or even next year -- with a (probably) compromised GPA.

If you plan to take the November administration, prepare for it like it's the last thing you will do on this beautiful planet.

• DEC NutsDEC Nuts Alum Member
    111 karma

Thanks for the input. My gpa is good: 3.88. I’m in my last semester and purposefully pushed my easier classes this semester so I don’t think my coursework would be effected. Realistically, I could put in about 20 hours a week max with work.