Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Health Law - 7Sage Forum

Health Law

TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member

I'm quite interested in studying health law but many schools don't offer this program. The T-14 only has some schools with health law courses, but there isn't a large focus on it. However, many tier 2/3 schools have health law departments and programs. Should I be focused on getting into the best ranked school I can? Or school I focus on a school that has my interests?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would focus on getting into the best ranked school that you can. Having focus areas doesn't generally mean a whole lot, from what I've gathered. If you have a JD you'll be able to practice health law, and a T-14 will be more likely to get you a job where you want than a tier 2/3. I suspect that the lower tier schools are incorporating these types of programs in order to draw students away from higher ranked schools.

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Thank you that makes a lot of sense @MissChanandler

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

From what I've seen, you don't really need to do a specialization. You just should make sure to take as many relevant courses as possible, and of course try to get summer or school year jobs working in something relevant. It'll vary depending on what you really want to do. Would you want to work at a hospital? Medical malpractice? Health policy? Those things would have different needs. Going to the highest ranking school you can, taking relevant courses, and finding relevant jobs seems to be the best route.

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

It might be different if the schools with health programs you're looking into have really strong local connections and you want to work locally. Then I could see how focusing on those schools might actually be more beneficial than trying to get into a T14. Not sure how you would go about finding that info, but it might help with your decision.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

What exactly do you want to do in the field of health law? It’s a huge field.

I think it appears as if the schools don’t offer “health law” classes because you might not be aware of what actually encompasses the general field of health law and which courses relate. ie in a lot of schools’ courses catalogues, when you search “corporate law” not too much shows up bc you actually need to be looking into antitrust...securities...contracts...transactions...litigation...etc, depending on which field of corporate law you want to work in. A lot of IP and tech courses relate to the general field of health law.

Law school generally prepares you to practice law and just pass the bar, but working at law firms is really where you learn specific fields. Generally knowing the theory of the law doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll immediately know what you’re doing at a law firm. Firms don’t expect you to specialize/have certificates, they don’t really care about certificates at all. Having work experience in the field would be what employers value.