Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gap year advice

LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
in General 126 karma

Besides working or volunteering, does anyone have any other ideas for interesting learning experiences? I know I am looking for a way to develop my leadership skills and overall bring a project idea to life. I am also interested in doing legal research for a journal or even volunteering for a law professor, but I can see how it'd be difficult undertaking legal work now without having any any formal legal training.

How do fellow 7sagers view a gap year before law school or simply a gap year from work and school responsibilities? Thanks for sharing!

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

I suggest becoming a GAL (guardian ad litem), you’ll be a legal rep for a child. Great way to spruce up your resume.

• LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
    126 karma

Wow, I'll definitely look into it. Thank you for the idea @oshun1

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

A lot of Counties within the US have a resources section on their website that lists organizations that provide resources for County residents. Most of these organizations are oriented towards helping disadvantaged residents. You could look into getting involved with an organization like this in your area in some capacity.

3652 karma

@lolsat__ said:

I think this is the link
    http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301309/k.9D58/Volunteering.htm

126 karma

Thank you for the input, @"Lucas Carter"

Thank you for being helpful with the link @oshun1 I'm giving it serious consideration!

edited October 2018 3652 karma

Internships.com is good for finding legal internships like with the DA’s office or for a local congress person.
    Gap year is a good time to explore and do things you’re interested in as well like if I wasn’t working full time I would’ve offered to intern for this lgbt club promoter who does charity work. One thing to note is that by the time you apply to law school, you won’t be very far in to your gap year, so using your gap year to try to add to your law school resume won’t help much.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@oshun1 said:

@lolsat__ said:

I think this is the link
    http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301309/k.9D58/Volunteering.htm

Was going to hop on here to mention this! I just completed my CASA training and will be sworn-in in a few weeks :) definitely recommend it.

• 474 karma

The Americorps or Citycorps offers a great opportunity for a year of experience. https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It'll go fast so it's wise to take a step back, as it sounds like you're doing, and you're in the right place for a good study community.

126 karma

Thank you all for bringing up these resources! @oshun1 I've just applied to volunteer with CASA!

@Sprinkles That's really cool - I might want to hear about your experience.

@lsatplaylist Yes, the lsat studying is going to come first!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited October 2018 11542 karma

@lolsat__ that's is awesome! CASA is always looking for more people to volunteer. The one I'm volunteering for is lacking help. There's currently over 100 kids on the waiting list. I would love to discuss this more with you.