Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT prep can change your brain (or so they say)

Comments

• mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    This is pretty interesting. I felt that this was true before reading this, however. At least the part about increased reasoning skills, we do learn how to sharpen our reasoning skills when studying for the LSAT. I've also noticed my memory has improved. I'm not sure if it's LSAT, or me spending less time watching tv/being at the computer.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    In general, I've become a lot more attentive to things people say (ie are their arguments logical/supported) :P
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I'm not too fond of it bc it makes me feel the people around me around so smart anymore when they try to argue for/against something :P
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    :D
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    "...they completed an intensive, three-month, 100-hour LSAT preparation course." 100 hours in 3 months?! From the discussion posts, I think a lot of us put in a significantly greater time commitment than that. How does that match others' experiences? Maybe they should scan 7Sagers' brains to see the maximum effect :)
    3438 karma
    @Marie4lawschool totally... I think they should do that :D
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3658 karma
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    Totally... same study... the article you posted is more detailed though ...more thorough than the Dailycal one above @"Al [^-^d]" Good job finding it!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @"Nilesh S" Hahaha! And Paper Chase for the win...
    3438 karma
    @VegMeg55 it' one of my all time favorites... and definitely a must watch for ALL law school bound students... not a lot has changed about law classes, preparation and exams from the time this movie was made :D
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I'm the same as @ddakjiking. Through LSAT prep I've become more sensitive to logical fallacies in every day arguments. And I think about things more logically.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @"Nilesh S" I watched it the week before I started LSAT prep. Now every time I hit a particularly ass-kicky section, I resist the temptation to fold it up into a paper plane and watch it fly into the sea. One of these days...
    @VegMeg55 good call.. its always best to do that with first year grades if they are mailed to you in an envelop... unfortunately, this is no longer possible as they are disclosed online... I'd throw the computer away (can't fold it into a plane), but if it were mine, it would be too expensive... if it were somebody else's, it would classify as willful destruction of property ;)
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Interesting read
    @emli1000 it is... and makes you wonder about all those theories of natural ceilings that go floating about the LSAT prep world... i.e. that there are people who cannot score more an a particular score... all that starts to sound more and more fuzzy.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    "i.e. that there are people who cannot score more an a particular score..."

God, EVERY TIME I read a post that mentions this phenomenon I want to facepalm so hard. The phrase "I can't go higher than 1XX" is this single greatest disservice an individual can do to him/herself while studying for the LSAT.
    @blah170blah we're so wrong my friend... I am willing to GUARANTEE you that you won't be scoring higher than 180 on that test come this June ;)
    But jokes apart... that was something that was passed down to me as "conventional wisdom"... and it haunted me till I started to give it no credence.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Now that I think about it, it's 10 pm and my brain hurts lol
    @waterspolo you might actually want to start a discussion with that heading so that you get better visibility on the forum... this is buried 20 posts down, so some people may see it, some may not... the bold heading of your new discussion will get it out there for everyone to see.
    3545 karma
    @waterspolo OMGGG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE? I've been looking for someone in the Bay Area for a while but now I'm moving back home to SoCal. I'm also on studypal!
    haha well I guess this worked out JUST fine :D
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I look forward to going back to stupid in 90 days....life's just easier that way :-)
    3438 karma
    @nye8870 home truth for the win :D
    3545 karma
    @"Nilesh S" Damn it! You mean my dream where I got a 181 won't come true? BAH!