Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Personal Statement: My Family Firm - 7Sage Forum

Personal Statement: My Family Firm

Hi everybody - I am hoping to get some opinions on whether or not the following topic could be a solid Personal Statement idea or if it might make my law school motivations appear misguided.

I would like to write my essay on how my parents are what initially made me want to pursue a career in law. They founded a small PI law firm about 25 years ago - my dad is an attorney at the firm and my mom is the director of the firm's business and marketing. Seeing my dad in the courtroom as a child and witnessing the difference he made for so many of his clients was very inspirational to me. Additionally, the fact that my parents founded and have since expanded the firm and that they both put have put so much of themselves into the firm over the years means a lot to me. I would like to work for the firm as an attorney one day and eventually continue our family business.

But I am just worried that this could make me sound like I only want to become a lawyer in order to be like my dad and have a family business handed to me someday (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is not the case).

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

I really like the idea to be honest. It seems to me to be genuine and kind. I would say go for it. Of course, I am not an expert on the matter, but I like it. Best of luck moving forward.

David

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 2124 karma

I think it would be a good statement if you focus on you, and less about your parents.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Make sure it’s like 95% about you. Brief intro about your parents inspiring you, and then the bulk of it about what you have done in life stemming from that inspiration. It’s ok to use parents as an inspiration but You need to stand out as an individual.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

I think it sounds great man. Like others have said, just be sure to make it about you, perhaps if you have a different vision, or how you can make a different impact?

Either way, your PS seems sincere. Good luck!

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

That has the potential to be a great PS. oshun1 was spot on with the '95% about you'. The few paragraphs above prove you write with a clean and concise structure.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Sounds great, hahaha
    Just make sure you don't make it "sound like I only want to become a lawyer in order to be like my dad and have a family business handed to me someday (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is not the case)." Spice it up a bit, and add other aspects of your life that also pointed you towards law school.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

The key here is to write the personal statement in such a way that it is a story about you, and not about your parents. This topic can definitely work, but you will have to focus on your own journey and the personal qualities that you want to emphasize in this personal statement should be demonstrated by your own actions.