Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to not get frazzled when we see a hard logic game on the test

MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
in Logic Games 350 karma

I am talking for example the viruses or dinosaurs (PT 79 and PT 57).
These are the kinda games that look like things might fall into place once we get into the questions, but they actually don't.
However, the logic is fairly usual when you think about it.

So, when this happens on the actual PT, esp seeing as how LG is a section where one can get the most points, how to not be frazzled and work through a proper strategy?

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

GREAT QUESTION!

I consciously worked on this for months. This was my high 160s hurdle and I didn't break that plateau until it was fixed. Too often when PTing, I would blow it on a difficult game and finish -4 to -6 in LG.

1) Develop a process. Once I recognized a stand-out game which had the potential to wreck my section, I entered this process which was different from that which I used for all other games. I slowed down my pace and shifted from an offensive mindset to a defensive one. My goal was not to bomb that game and control the bleeding. I wouldn't start writing until I could visualize the game and understood the tricky aspects. That might take 4 minutes but if it took longer I would skip the game (if it wan't #4) or check my previous answers.

Upon returning I would resume my attempts at comprehension. By this time, my worst-case-scenario would typically be an inefficient setup free of any translation errors. That meant I could brute force a few answers at the very least. Again, I wasn't trying to go -0 at this point but rather keep it to -3/-2. Above all, try to remain calm.

2) Meditation. I meditated every morning before studying and every evening before bed for 10 minutes. I envisioned myself reaching a difficult game and executing my process during these sessions. I don't know the science behind it and maybe it was entirely placebo affect. But my guess is that our imagination allows for virtual experience where we are in control and it accomplishes much of what actual experience does. Using this in conjunction with actual experience (where things can still go wrong) helped reinforce my process.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@NotMyName with a great comment. If I can echo it: develop a system to minimize damage and collect points!

David

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    edited November 2018 350 karma

@NotMyName said:
    GREAT QUESTION!

I consciously worked on this for months. This was my high 160s hurdle and I didn't break that plateau until it was fixed. Too often when PTing, I would blow it on a difficult game and finish -4 to -6 in LG.

1) Develop a process. Once I recognized a stand-out game which had the potential to wreck my section, I entered this process which was different from that which I used for all other games. I slowed down my pace and shifted from an offensive mindset to a defensive one. My goal was not to bomb that game and control the bleeding. I wouldn't start writing until I could visualize the game and understood the tricky aspects. That might take 4 minutes but if it took longer I would skip the game (if it wan't #4) or check my previous answers.

Upon returning I would resume my attempts at comprehension. By this time, my worst-case-scenario would typically be an inefficient setup free of any translation errors. That meant I could brute force a few answers at the very least. Again, I wasn't trying to go -0 at this point but rather keep it to -3/-2. Above all, try to remain calm.

2) Meditation. I meditated every morning before studying and every evening before bed for 10 minutes. I envisioned myself reaching a difficult game and executing my process during these sessions. I don't know the science behind it and maybe it was entirely placebo affect. But my guess is that our imagination allows for virtual experience where we are in control and it accomplishes much of what actual experience does. Using this in conjunction with actual experience (where things can still go wrong) helped reinforce my process.

@BinghamtonDave said:
    @NotMyName with a great comment. If I can echo it: develop a system to minimize damage and collect points!

David

<3 TY!